Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LAN elite benefits while flying under an AA number

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LANPASS Premium Silver, SPG Gold Prefered Guest, Mahalo Rewards

Hi all,

If I fly with LAN (or any other OneWorld airline for that matter) and use my AA ff# instead of my LAN ff#, could I still get the elite benefits (lounge access, priority boarding)?

Basically I'm switching from LAN to AA. I currently hold the Sapphire level with LAN. What I do now is fly with my LAN number and 15 days later put in a missing mileage request with AA, which is quite a pain, but necessary until I achieve status with AA. I would like to avoid this and just credit miles to AA directly.

Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Hi alomme. Can you not get lounge access and priority boarding by just presenting your LAN Sapphire card? I think so. Maybe I am not understanding. You get the OneWorld benefits regardless of who you assign the points. What benefit is causing you trouble?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:06 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
You get the OneWorld benefits regardless of who you assign the points. What benefit is causing you trouble?
For /all/ benies? Lounge and priority access sure, just flash the card. But additional baggage allowance as well? Won't the agent have to enter the FF# as proof s/he can allow the extra without charge?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Hi alomme. Can you not get lounge access and priority boarding by just presenting your LAN Sapphire card? I think so. Maybe I am not understanding. You get the OneWorld benefits regardless of who you assign the points. What benefit is causing you trouble?
Hi bingo, as of now I haven't tried flying with my AA number on LAN. Would I still get the *Priority* boarding pass?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
OP,

You should get all of the benefits by flashing your card. Depending on where you're starting from the check in agents will put the appropriate markings on your BP and check your bags at the elite level. If they put your LAN number on then just get to the gate when the gate agents get there around T-1hr and they'll change the FF number for credit to AA.

Of course with LAN YMMV
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ttuna3
Of course with LAN YMMV
Isn't that the truth.

Thanks everyone! I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ttuna3
You should get all of the benefits by flashing your card.
Aren't there benefits which don't involve human contact? For example, seat selection online? I don't see how you can flash your card for that.

When I flew LAN Argentina as an AA Plat or EXP (I don't remember which I was that year), booked through AA, I was able to select exit row in advance. I doubt I could have been able to do that if I hadn't had a OW account with sufficient elite status tied to that reservation, could I?

I know people constantly book intra-US AA flights using BA Avios points (because for nonstops it often requires less BA Avios points than AA miles), and then change their FFP in the booking from BA to their AA number (where they're elite) to be able to select seats online (any of the same seats they would have had access to had they booked it as an AA award on aa.com).
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
The FF number that counts for kms, miles, etc... is the last one on the record. I've never had an issue changing numbers as required for what I need. If you put your LAN number in and don't change it until you get checked in then all of your LAN bennies will stay around until you get off the last flight. You might need to change it back for the return leg but I haven't had that problem before. Over in *A I have a purchased E+ on UA so I put my UA number on until my seat selection sticks and the put my OZ number on for the rest of *G benefits and mileage credit.

Bottom line is use your higher status program until you don't need the status for the current flight(s) and then change as required. All of the alliances rules are that your earning and status are separate issues, AKA your LAN card gives the OW bennies and you credit your miles to AA. I'd just change the number during check in since your card gives you luggage, the lounge, and early boarding.

Good Luck!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: BA
Not sure how you can reliably change your number /after/ checkin to get your luggage bennies.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald) ● SPG Gold ● Marriott Gold
I made the switch from AA to LAN a few years ago. I remember dreading that it would be a pain in the rear, but it was actually quite seamless. Lounge access wasn't a problem, neither was early boarding. I was able to change the FF number after check-in without any problem, and I also changed it after outbound leg. I don't believe I was ever upgraded on AA domestic flights during the swichover, and I can't recall how it worked with baggage allowances. It seemed like the attendants at the Lounges and CheckIn deal with this quite often, and so were very accomodating.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
I made the same change, LAN-AA a few years ago, and *generally* had no problems. The only thing I recommend is that you keep the physical card that gives you the highest status/most benefits on you at all times while you're travelling in this case obviously, LAN).

I am surprised that AA credits you the miles when you've flown the flights with your LANPASS number. Presumably the flights would have already been credited to your LAN account within those 15 days - when I made the transition to AA I forgot to change my numbers out on some flights and couldn't get them un-credited from LAN and posted to AA.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald) ● SPG Gold ● Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zpaul
I am surprised that AA credits you the miles when you've flown the flights with your LANPASS number.
In my particular case, the counter or lounge agent would simply replace the AAdvantage code attached to the ticket with my LANPASS number, and re-issue the ticket. I never received any actual credit to my AAdvantage accont.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joooker
In my particular case, the counter or lounge agent would simply replace the AAdvantage code attached to the ticket with my LANPASS number, and re-issue the ticket. I never received any actual credit to my AAdvantage accont.
I haven't had any issues getting mileage credited so far.

I decided to test the waters over my New Year vacation, and I didn't have a pleasant experience at all. I was flying US Airways with my US Airways number, and had my physical LA Premium Silver card with me: No priority security screening and I had to argue with the gate agent to let me board with the OW Sapphires. I flew with my LA number on the way back (trip was RT LGA - CLT - FLL).

Since mileage credit hasn't been an issue so far I will keep flying under my LAN number and then asking for a mileage credit 15 days after. A pain, but less painful than standing in the security line for 30 minutes and arguing with the gate agent with a line of people behind you.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:50 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
On a USAir ticket, 1 USAir flight and 2 AA flights each way. Both directions told me I could only change to my LP number “at the start of the trip” due to USAir computer limitations.

To book, used my AA account number (no status) and no benefits worked. When changed to my LP number was able to access free preferred seats online, got “TSA precheck”, “Priority” and “Emerald” on boarding pass. And even... free AA automatic upgrade at online check in!!! Nice. Was told it was hit and miss. Lounge access easy and with free premium drink chit.

Sitting in Y exit row, tried to buy a on-board snack. They looked and said, nope, Mr Bingo, its free for you. On different leg in Y, Purser came by to welcome me by name and offer me free snack.

At the lounge asked they put both numbers on my record. Had asked at counter but they just said “impossible”. She worked hard to do it, she had to call her assistance line, but it took. Flights are showing up in my AA account, will request LAN to change it, should be no problem. As above, have successfully done so before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.