Wiki Posts
Search

LAN counters @ MIA Intl Airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
LAN counters @ MIA Intl Airport

Hey everyone, I'll be flying LAN from MIA to EZE in February. I'm not sure yet if i'll take the direct flight that departs at 11ish PM or the one with a stop in LIM (departs at 4.30ish PM).
My friend is taking the 8.30AM Aerolineas Argentinas flight earlier that morning.
Do you guys know if I can check in early in the morning with LAN for any of the flights I'll be taking later that evening?
Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Generally the answer is no, LAN rarely lets anybody check in before T+4. MIA might if they're even there (I've had to connect from DL and they didn't show up until about 20 minutes after check in should have opened) and I've had EZE let me on a couple of times or offer to send me though SCL if there was an open seat in J. The EZE trips were before the new lounge and I had a little bit of trouble checking in at T+4:30 a few months back so it's hit and miss. The given reason that they don't want people checking in early is losing baggage. There might be an issue at MIA since LATAM has been mixing the agents between the LAN and TAM counters so who knows what will happen, I've had the nice TAM lady having to ask what to do about the lounge and baggage allowance when a Comodoro is flying in PB down to BOG.

LIM is not the best airport for connecting because of the ground staff there being a royal PITA with both real and imagined rules. You'll be connecting during the late night/early morning bank of flights from all of the other stations so it can be kind of a zoo, any serious delay on your inbound can leave you with a 12+ hour layover if you're heading to the USA ( or being stuck on an Airbus 320 if they route you through UIO or BOG to MIA). The SUMAQ lounge isn't all that great but it's there.

You might be able to get checked in if the LAN people are there at MIA since you're a Black, and I've seen the Ladies in Red a couple of times in LIM getting Blacks through the system.

Of course with LAN YMMV!
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Thanks for the complete answer, ttuna3!
I've had stops in LIM a couple of times (mostly when flying LAN to the west coast from EZE), and I agree with you. SUMAQ lounge was over crowded the last two times. But with this flight, I'd have about 1.25 hours of layover so I wouldn't even be touching it.
I won't know if I'll be able to do this trip until December 20th so I'll have to see availability on flights for my fixed February dates, and prices. Maybe I'll have to fly Y, and try to upgrade with KMs. I don't mind layovers that much, but if I had to choose.. I'd pick the double 787 in J . (MIA-SCL-EZE all in 787)
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
I haven't done it much so not a lot of experience here. But the few times I have been successful at early bag drop. Trouble remembering, but I think I even dropped off the night before at BOG, but BOG has one of the best check-in agents in the entire system, he is super. For sure I have dropped off early at LIM. And if a Lady in Red helps you then why not, that's what they do, no? I see the problem being if anyone is even there that early, never been at MIA before noon.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
...BOG has one of the best check-in agents in the entire system, he is super.
Clearly not the miserable s.o.b I had the pleasure of the other evening...
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Hope that is not what they think of me when I walk away from the counter. muk muk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.