Search

Changes to LANPASS

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:50 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Which other airline?
Well if 767traveller is of a European persuasion then flying IB deep discount economy will earn 100% Avios on BA or IB.

Actually even if he is North American then flying AA will earn 100% in both IB and BA programmes.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: LANPASS premium silver, A3
Which other airline? In case you haven't noticed, this is a trend across many airlines. In the USA, both DL and UA are changing to giving miles based on fare paid, not miles based on distance flown. AA is in fact so far the lone holdout (among the major USA airlines), but is that only due to them being busy with their merger???
I know this is a trend and that will continue, Being South American I have the possibility of switching to AV who haves generous requirements for status, otherwise I could switch to BA as I travel to Europe quite frequently.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
deleted

Last edited by zpaul; Nov 10, 2014 at 7:30 am Reason: content not relevant
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald) ● SPG Gold ● Marriott Gold
This fairly bland story was published in today's edition of El Mercurio regarding the change in km accumulation:

LAN explica cambios en su program de km:
Se recompensará menos a los que pagan menos

http://impresa.elmercurio.com/Pages/...D=2&PaginaId=5
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
And now Lan Colombia is tinkering around with the award chart...

http://www.lan.com/es_co/sitio_perso...content=OFER_1

(I have no idea what the final column means)
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:34 pm

Thanks for that Bingo, I had not seen it

The final column has a tiny 6 and is linked to an explanation below. So it is stating how many segments you have to fly in flex buckets to earn enough for the classic award.

As an example, Bogotá - rutas troncales costs 8000kms, they are saying you can earn 2000 per segment in flex so you have to fly 4 domestic segments to earn a free one.

So flex tickets stay the same as 150% bonus (total 250% of 800kms)

You as a comode do not get double the notional "cabin bonus" as I found out in September. You only get the bonus based on the base.

I flew CLO BOG and got

Code:
2014/09/01	 VUELO HOLDING	 Cali	 Bogotá	  800 
 2014/09/01	 BONO PREMIUM CUCHARITAS	 	  800 
 2014/09/01	 BONO CLASE LAN	 	 	  1.200
Nice to see BOG MIA has gone down from 44000kms to 38000kms. This is obviously notional niceness as the inventory at classic rate for this route is imaginary.

Interesting that rutas regionales are 50% more to fly on and all operated by those horrible Canadian Dash-8 Q400 flying skyfart things. Didn't want to go to Ibagué anyway.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
A little OT, but the Colombia program seems more complicated than necessary...any idea why it's so different from the other LANPASS programs? This may have been discussed before, but since it doesn't apply to me I guess I just glazed over it...
Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:04 am

I don't think it is any more complicated as such, you earn 25% of miles on a discount economy domestic ticket as you would in Chile, Peru etc.

I think they have just gone the extra mile to explain the benefits to potentially less sophisticated or less knowledgable consumers. i.e. you fly four returns, you get a free one.

Bear in mind that LAN is a relatively new entrant to Colombia and they probably have far fewer frequent flyers than Avianca, they are probably just trying to grease the wheels with some sales pitch.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Just curious, has anyone seen LAN publicize these changes to LANPASS km earnings yet? Unlike others here, I haven't gotten any email notifications about this (and I do receive regular promotional emails from LANPASS). I also still don't see any notices on their website about the changes (I check the US, Mexico, and 'other countries' pages regularly.) Only by clicking on the direct link noted earlier, can I find the page outlining the changes.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:32 pm

Changes to LANPASS

Yep I got the email
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:41 am

Due to the LANPASS structure change I inquired with American Airlines if they would be willing to match my Comodoro status to Exec Platinum if I switched back over to AA. They told me to take a hike, and then tried to sell me a status accumulation service:

We appreciate your desire to make American Airlines your first choice in travel. At this time, we do not have any opportunities available to
match your LAN status. I am sorry to disappoint you.

That said, we are always eager to welcome new customers. We have a
special opportunity to achieve AAdvantage Platinum® status in a
designated 3-month period by earning 10,000 elite-qualifying points on
American Airlines, American Eagle, the AmericanConnection carrier,
British Airways, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, and effective July 15,
2013, Finnair (including eligible codeshare flights marketed by these
carriers). The cost to register for this "challenge" varies from $180 to
$240. For details about earning elite-qualifying points, please visit
www.aa.com/elitestatus

If you would like to get started or find out more information, please
call AAdvantage Customer Service at 800-882-8880 (say 'AAdvantage
Account' at the Main Menu) and ask about attaining your desired elite
status with a 3-month challenge.

We look forward to hearing from you. It would be our pleasure to assist
you in becoming an AAdvantage Platinum member!
Curious to know if anyone else has tried to receive matching status with other airlines based on this recent announcement by LAN?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Joooker
Due to the LANPASS structure change I inquired with American Airlines if they would be willing to match my Comodoro status to Exec Platinum if I switched back over to AA. They told me to take a hike, and then tried to sell me a status accumulation service:
American hasn't done (user-initiated) status matches for years and years. Many airlines, not just American, have replaced status matches with status challenges/trials.

And American doesn't offer any sort of status challenge/trial for Executive Platinum to "more mortals", only for the first two levels (Gold and Platinum). It's rare for an airline to status match or even challenge/trial all the way to the top level; you typically have to demonstrate high spend to them, not just high status somewhere else, for them to get interested.

To see which airlines even do status matches at all, see this thread (in the MilesBuzz! forum):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...13-2014-a.html
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
US Airways offer status challenge for Chairman P., which is equal to Exc Platinum/OW Emerald, all you have to do is pay $200 (you get Ruby on US) and flight 30K in 90 days, but only on AA/US metal. Keep om mind that if you buy a ticket on LAN/Orbitz and it contain a LAN flight # but is operated by AA, it will not qualify for the challenge.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by SCLflyer
I also received the "because you travel mainly on Premium Business you will be happy to know that..."

It says that the new chart is effective it's for tickets purchased after 1st of January. I do wonder if they actually mean it that way or is it for flights departing the 1st of January.

If you have closer look at fare rules, you will notice that LAN publishes LANPass earning rules as part of fare rules which is very unique (I haven't seen any other airlines doing the same). As a result, the change shouldn't affect tickets issued during this year (at least if they want to avoid legal issues with INDECOPI etc). However LANPass multiplier will change if you rebook your ticket after the change...

Miscellaneous Fare Tags

NOTE -
FOLLOWING CONDITIONS APPLY ON LAN OPERATED FLIGHTS
LANPASS
EARNS 100 PERCENT KILOMETERS

SEAT ASSIGNMENT
IT IS ONLY PERMITTED BY CHECK-IN LAN.COM
///
LAS SIGUIENTES CONDICIONES SE ENTREGAN
EN VUELOS OPERADOS POR LAN
LANPASS
100 POR CIENTO ACUMULACION DE KILOMETROS
RESERVA DE ASIENTO
SOLO EN CHECK-IN LAN.COM
///
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:29 am

American hasn't done (user-initiated) status matches for years and years. Many airlines, not just American, have replaced status matches with status challenges/trials.

And American doesn't offer any sort of status challenge/trial for Executive Platinum to "more mortals", only for the first two levels (Gold and Platinum). It's rare for an airline to status match or even challenge/trial all the way to the top level; you typically have to demonstrate high spend to them, not just high status somewhere else, for them to get interested.

To see which airlines even do status matches at all, see this thread (in the MilesBuzz! forum):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...13-2014-a.html
Thanks, very useful. I was hopeful that AA would match the status because last year a friend received a status match the other direction (LAN matched his AA EP status). Oh well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.