Wiki Posts
Search

Earning km on MEX-LIM-BOG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Earning km on MEX-LIM-BOG

Just booked MEX-LIM-BOG (RT) in Nov, and am curious whether I'll earn 100% km on the whole trip, or just the MEX-LIM segments.

It's booked as a Base fare, but when hovering over the category, it has the notation that the fare earns "100% on direct flights".

Both LIM-BOG and BOG-LIM booked into L class, which I believe is usually a Base Plus fare class. (Tarifa is NEXSP20P though.)

LAN.com is also letting me select my seats on the LIM-BOG and BOG-LIM segments, which I assume it shouldn't be doing if this were being treated as a base fare earning 25%.

So, my trip will earn either 9,453 km or 12,292 km.

Can anyone enlighten me on what to expect?

FYI, LAN doesn't advertise BOG fares ex-MEX, nor does ITA matrix list any LAN options for MEX-BOG. But LAN.com does sell the route (via LIM) at fares similar to the airlines flying the route non-stop. My ticket was $458 ai.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: LANPASS premium silver, A3
Hi,
I think you will get 100%kms for the MEX - LIM but only 25%kms for the LIM-BOG as it is a base fare. Strange that you managed to pre select seats for both legs though.
cheers,

767traveller
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by DarrenChannel

FYI, LAN doesn't advertise BOG fares ex-MEX, nor does ITA matrix list any LAN options for MEX-BOG. But LAN.com does sell the route (via LIM) at fares similar to the airlines flying the route non-stop. My ticket was $458 ai.
Good find! Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

I'm going to assume I'll get the lesser km amount, but it's still a good fare, and 9,500 km is pretty good for the route. Non-stop, MEX-BOG would earn ~6,300 km RT. Combined with a December trip on AA (routed properly), it'll be enough to ensure I reach Comodoro status.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:21 pm

FWIW The best I can find BOG-MEX r/t is $555

But that's actually very competitive with the ITA-found prices for early next year which for some reason are hovering around the $900 mark.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:21 am
Original Poster

By default, I go to LAN's Mexico site first when looking for flights, but I also now check the "other countries" site too, because I often see MEX-BOG priced lower there -- or at least, with much better availability at the lowest fares.

Lowest fares I can see now, between now and mid-December, are USD $503 ai.

One thing to watch out for, if achieving Comodoro status is important to you, is that in the itinerary you priced out at $555, one leg is on Aeromexico (MEX-CUN), so you would not earn km towards elite status on that leg. (You would, however, accumulate redeemable km. Learned this last year!)
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:19 am

Interesting. I'll check the MEX site for BOG-MEX...

My main problems with this itinerary, to be honest, are 13.5 hours and non-upgradeable BASE.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:53 am
Original Poster

I thought about choosing the base plus fare for my itinerary this week, but decided I could live with econ seating on this trip. My $458 ticket would have been just over $200 more if I chose the upgradable "base plus" fare. (And I'm happy with the km accumulation anyway.)

On a related matter, what do you think of LAN's new lounge in BOG? Am looking forward to trying it out!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:18 pm

I certainly wouldn't pay more just for the chance of an upgrade. But I might well pay that $200 extra and fly direct with AV or whomever. For 13.5 hours I'd demand something more than a small saving. Of course if you need the miles then it's a nice routing at 6cpm (if you can get 100% miles.)

Yeah, I like the BOG longue on the whole. Food options are a bit limited to be honest but it's clean, quiet, and comfortable. Downstairs though is a boutique coffee place which has a great gin selection which I like to arrive in time for a visit to.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

I thought about paying for the base plus fare, but in the end, decided I'd only do it if it meant a confirmed upgrade. So, I called in this morning and redeemed some km to get a confirmed upgrade (25,000 km one-way, MEX-LIM-BOG). I've got a good amount of km in the bank anyway, so don't mind doing that.

Thanks for the tips on the new BOG lounge. Will be sure to arrive early to enjoy a beverage or two!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.