Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Experiences with AKL-SYD LA801 upgrade benefit..

Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold / Korean Air Morning Calm / Qatar Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Platinum

Hey everyone.

I'm currently a Comodoro member and so have unlimited upgrade benefits to use.

I have never used an 'upgrade' before so I don't know what really happens and was wondering when I find out if I'm upgraded or not at AKL airport.

I know I request one online when I'm checking in - but do I get to know when at check-in at the airport or at the gate? Am I supposed to go up to the gate person and ask if my upgrade has been successful??

Please help..

Many thanks in advance
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Hi. LAN has recently initiated on-line upgrade list. After your request the upgrade (at T-48 hopefully) you can see your place on the upgrade list. It is on dropdown menu when you log into your account and will even find your flights. Check the number of available seats in J by EF or dummy booking and judge your odds of success. When at airport check-in they can just give you the upgrade if there are lots of free seats or more likely give you the new BP at the gate. They will call you there or if arriving from lounge hand it to you then. Good luck!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold / Korean Air Morning Calm / Qatar Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Platinum
Hi.

Thanks for your reply

When it says I can check-in from T-48, does it mean T-48 from my flight time exactly? Or is it general 2 days before (so I can check-in two days before from midnight?)

Many thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:21 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
T-48 is the actual local flight time. LAN.com will also not check you in for any segments that haven't reached T-48 yet, for them so you'll have to do each one them as they come up.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Hmm.. one more question

I have one more passenger on my booking.. and I want to request an upgrade for him as well using my coupons that I get as a Comodoro..

How do I do that? When I check-in for him and myself and request an upgrade for me, will there be option for me to use MY upgrade coupons for my companion?? I've never done this before and I want it to go as smoothly as possible..

BTW, my companion is not a LANPASS member. I hope this doesn't affect the upgrade request for him.

Thanks,
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:28 am

Hmm. Haven't done that so I do not know the how, but the good news is I think your companion gets your status i.e. gets upgraded with you (if there are seats).
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:55 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by minjunkwak
I have one more passenger on my booking.. and I want to request an upgrade for him as well using my coupons that I get as a Comodoro..

How do I do that? When I check-in for him and myself and request an upgrade for me, will there be option for me to use MY upgrade coupons for my companion?? I've never done this before and I want it to go as smoothly as possible..

BTW, my companion is not a LANPASS member. I hope this doesn't affect the upgrade request for him.
Yes, first you check-in for both passengers and then when you request the upgrade, you'll be able to request it for both as well (using your companion coupons) if desired. Your companion will also be listed as Comodoro on the upgrade list (will be listed right after you on the list). If I remember correctly, you can even do this with passengers on other bookings (when traveling on the same flight as the Comodoro elite).

If you have any issues (I've had problems selecting elite-only seats for companions when checking-in), just call the elite LANPASS line and they should be able to fix it!
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andreadbc
Yes, first you check-in for both passengers and then when you request the upgrade, you'll be able to request it for both as well (using your companion coupons) if desired. Your companion will also be listed as Comodoro on the upgrade list (will be listed right after you on the list). If I remember correctly, you can even do this with passengers on other bookings (when traveling on the same flight as the Comodoro elite).

If you have any issues (I've had problems selecting elite-only seats for companions when checking-in), just call the elite LANPASS line and they should be able to fix it!
Thanks for your reply

How many times have you been upgraded as a Comodoro member? It's my first time upgrading using Comodoro benefit and I don't know if this benefit is actually really enforced (as in, if there are seats in Business, they actually upgrade us).
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:54 am

Oh for sure it is used and useful. One of the nice benefits I've used many times. A success rate of over 90% (being judicious about finding likely seat available flights and checking in early to be #1 on the upgrade list.) But it is really hard to predict because of up to the last minute changes. Had situations where thought there was no way but got the upgrade, others when I thought it a slam dunk but no.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your helpful replies

Can someone be kind enough to check on ExpertFlyer (as I don't have a premium subscription) the availability of business class seats on the Friday 26th September on LA801 6am flight out of AKL to SYD, because I want to see the chance of two of us getting upgraded or not.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:22 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by minjunkwak
Can someone be kind enough to check on expertflyer (as i don't have a premium subscription) the availability of business class seats on the friday 26th september on la801 6am flight out of akl to syd....
j7 d7 i7

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.