LA J cabin on 787

Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
LA J cabin on 787

Hi all, I've researched all the trip reports I can find and seat-selection websites, but I'm still not too sure about how the 787 J cabin is set-up, so I hope you can help me. All I've been able to infer is from the photos posted in the reviews I've seen.

From what I can see, there are 5 rows with the 2L "hallway" between rows 3 and 4, creating a 2-row "mini-cabin" of rows 4 and 5. Is this correct?

It also looks like there's no galley between J and Y, so logic tells me that rows 4 and 5 would most likely be the quietest for flight 533 (JFK-SCL), although I wonder how much congestion happens in that open area between rows 3 and 4... This will be my first time on the 787, so any insight you have into the quirks of this cabin versus the 767 would be appreciated!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
I think rows 2, 3 and 4 are best. In row 1 you are close to the lavatories/galley and in row 5 you may be close to crying babies in Y ... It's not really two mini cabins, since there is no full "wall" behind row 3 and in front of row 4. The cabin devider ends at about 1m40cm from the floor, which means you can look through.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 7:09 am

LA J cabin on 787

IIRC, boarding is done throug door 2L, meaning that rows 1, 2 and 3 don't have to struggle through Economy boarding and staring...
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Mavalenzu
IIRC, boarding is done throug door 2L, meaning that rows 1, 2 and 3 don't have to struggle through Economy boarding and staring...
"Boarding and staring" and bumping (my personal pet peeve!). In fact, I got bumped by people and backpacks so many times that I changed my lifelong aisle preference to always choosing a window.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all, you've confirmed what I thought. Seat changed, and I'm happy.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA ExP, UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG PlatInum
This should give you a good idea of what the cabin looks like:

http://www.lan.com/sitio_personas/minisitios/boeing787/
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA GLD for life, HH Gold, SPG gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Select, TSA pfd
So Seatguru layout of the J cabin has the door in the wrong place or missing?

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/LAN...Dreamliner.php
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: LATAM Black; AA EXP
Just have in mind that row 3 is lacking a window! Definitely go for row 2

Last edited by SCLflyer; Dec 20, 2014 at 6:44 am
Old Dec 23, 2014, 5:47 am
Original Poster

BTW, that plane is incredible! I was in 4 whatever-the-left-middle-seat-is and loved it. While the economy pax did file by, there was no bumping, and I loved having the very high ceiling right in front and almost over me, so it really felt like a wide-open space when I reclined and looked up.

The food was absolutely inedible, though. On a positive note, this was my first flight on LAN where the FAs proactively came around the cabin multiple times and offered wine top-ups.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.