LAN Business Class experience

Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by david_33
I have never seen it either. Usually J is filled by people using upgrades anyway.
It is? Most of my flights have a fairly full J cabina prior to UG request time.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: LAN Commodore
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It is? Most of my flights have a fairly full J cabina prior to UG request time.
Exactly, and what few seats are left are grabbed by upgrades leaving few or none for friends or family of the flight attendants.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro, UA 1K
Originally Posted by postular
"Originally Posted by TravellingMan View Post
BTW it was interesting to note the number of friends and family members of FAs who got to move to Business class once the door was closed. They were more attentive to their needs than to the rest "

I take at least twenty-five LAN flights a year (mostly international) and have never seen this.
I take 1-2 LAX to LIM roundtrips a month and had also never seen this before...until last night. I was the only upgrade and after my assignment there were 5 open J seats in the 16 seat configuration. I am not sure how they decided to whom the seats would be given, but the FAs brought 5 people up from economy to fill J class. It seemed like a mix of friends (one FA was chatting with a couple she had brought forward) and empathetic selections (the gentleman seated next to me was elderly and it was obvious he didn't know any of the FAs, or why he was being upgraded for that matter). I found the whole thing pretty strange as it undermines one of the key perks of airline loyalty, but ultimately I didn't mind. If I had paid the J fare my reaction may have been a bit different though.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david_33
Exactly, and what few seats are left are grabbed by upgrades leaving few or none for friends or family of the flight attendants.
Well, someone sure got lucky tonight with my LA600 seat, as I won't make it to SCL in time to be in it.

At least the EZE LA lounge is decent. I've also visited the AA and *A lounges tonight and this shines above the other two in the F&B department.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: LAN Commodore
I was on a MIA-LIM flight last week in J. For some reason they had to change planes from the usual LP three row J configuration to the five row seating. This meant that many Y seats disappeared. They had to move passengers from Y to J. Luckily the seat next to me had been blocked at the counter, but all the other J seats but one were filled. The FA told me that the upgrades were given depending on which fare had been paid.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: SQ
I have a couple of friends at LAN I always mention how the ATL-LIM J cabin is filled with non-revs and that I hate how I can't get upgraded because it's a premium product.

They respond with we can only get J on long flights for work and otherwise they must 'know the crew' when flying standby.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Just another reason (not that I needed any more) to avoid LIM when possible.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
(1) There is a "panel of chefs" and one is from Purru. I believe that the menu still says that. And I don't recall that he works for Purina. But it is all about the execution when making food for thousands.
Rafael Osterling of Rafael y El Mercado is from Lima and on the chef's panel.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:27 am

We had our first LAN flight - JFK/LIMA - and were underwhelmed. I was struck by what seemed like a wonderful quality of life for the crew. Within 30 minutes of take off, they were all sitting in the galley, full trays on laps, eating dinner. When I went in later, they were chatting, drinking cups of coffee. This was an overnight flight, so none of this had a big impact, but it wasn't a particularly customer facing group.

I was surprised, when I walked in to the galley to get coffee, that it was instant. The FA said that they don't brew coffee on this flight. Huh, a longish haul in business class?
He put in the powder, mixed it up and handed it to me - no offer to bring it to my seat.
Finally, my IFE system didn't work, but the flight was full, so there was no back up plan.

The whole experience felt a bit below expectations, though maybe my expectations was
my downfall. I wouldn't go out of my way to fly LAN again.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Mickidon
We had our first LAN flight - JFK/LIMA - and were underwhelmed. I was struck by what seemed like a wonderful quality of life for the crew. Within 30 minutes of take off, they were all sitting in the galley, full trays on laps, eating dinner. When I went in later, they were chatting, drinking cups of coffee. This was an overnight flight, so none of this had a big impact, but it wasn't a particularly customer facing group.

I was surprised, when I walked in to the galley to get coffee, that it was instant. The FA said that they don't brew coffee on this flight. Huh, a longish haul in business class?
He put in the powder, mixed it up and handed it to me - no offer to bring it to my seat.
Finally, my IFE system didn't work, but the flight was full, so there was no back up plan.

The whole experience felt a bit below expectations, though maybe my expectations was my downfall. I wouldn't go out of my way to fly LAN again.
Everyone has their own cultural expectations. Cultures vary around the world. I for one don't like being pestered. There is a call button, that gets answered quickly, when I want something.

LAN gives a $200 MCO for a broken IFE experience.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mickidon

The whole experience felt a bit below expectations, though maybe my expectations was
my downfall. I wouldn't go out of my way to fly LAN again.
I've never had a LAN flight (since Lan Chile in F) where a FA didn't want me to return to my seat for delivery of a beverage (if requested in the galley). LA F often consisted of a friendly galley chat the crew.

I'm surprised they were too lazy to brew coffee unless it wasn't catered. That said, instant coffee is "state of the art" coffee in much of Latin America, especially for those over a certain age. Some just mix the Nescafe with hot milk (and don't even add water). Barf.

Out of curiosity, what was the service standard (i.e., menu) for your route? Post-departure snack and pre-arrival breakfast? Or just a pre-arrival meal? If the former, was that not even offered?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:07 am

I've never had a LAN flight (since Lan Chile in F) where a FA didn't want me to return to my seat for delivery of a beverage (if requested in the galley). LA F often consisted of a friendly galley chat the crew.

I'm surprised they were too lazy to brew coffee unless it wasn't catered. That said, instant coffee is "state of the art" coffee in much of Latin America, especially for those over a certain age. Some just mix the Nescafe with hot milk (and don't even add water). Barf.

Out of curiosity, what was the service standard (i.e., menu) for your route? Post-departure snack and pre-arrival breakfast? Or just a pre-arrival meal? If the former, was that not even offered?
There was a post departure meal and a continental breakfast. Since the flight left at 11:55 PM, I don't think there were any takers for "dinner." The instant coffee wasn't that bad, just surprising. It was LAN Colombia, according to my confirmation. I'm relatively new traveling to these parts and don't have my LANs straight in my head.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
My impression is that instant coffee is always served on LAN regardless of the aircraft type or length of flight. I don't think they ever "brew" coffee.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by postular
My impression is that instant coffee is always served on LAN regardless of the aircraft type or length of flight. I don't think they ever "brew" coffee.
Yes, but it is Altamayo on Lan Peru, but only Juan Valdez on Lan Coloooombia
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:50 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Rafael Osterling of Rafael y El Mercado is from Lima and on the chef's panel.
I didn't know this. I don't like this guy's food, it's as if he is only very vaguely influenced by Peruvian cuisine himself. Menu at Rafael in Bogot isn't very Peruvian at all. Can we lobby for an old lady that knows how to rustle up anticuchos and pan con chicharrn?

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Yes, but it is Altamayo on Lan Peru, but only Juan Valdez on Lan Coloooombia
And Chilean LAN also. Gonna stick my neck out and say that LAN Per flights out of Medelln have Juan Valdez too. I wonder how much Juan Valdez has to pay them to make them use it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.