Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAN - Very Unimpressed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: LAN Commodore
Maybe its because I am a Comodoro, but I get excellent service at LIM, much less at MIA, LAX is a toss up.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:33 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Post So In Other Words...

Originally Posted by fly747first
but wasn't carrying my FF card (to be honest I never do),
You COULD have avoided this situation simply by carrying your FF card. I would this is your bad then, not LAN's.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by david_33
Maybe its because I am a Comodoro, but I get excellent service at LIM, much less at MIA, LAX is a toss up.
I have no status. All of my longhaul is in the front cabina.

SFO - a great station. Sad it is in its final couple of weeks.
SCL - Generally fine. Premium check-in room makes for a better experience.
LIM - so glad I don't need to frequently deal with agents.
LAX - it has been awhile, but generally fine
EZE - Check-in agents decent, I do have a few issues though.
Domestic Chile - acceptable, sometimes very nice.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
While I'm familiar with the procedures at MEX, in your opinion is a 1 hour connection doable at Mexico City with carry-on luggage for an arrival time of 0635?

SCL-MEX(LA)-MEX-YYZ(AC).
It's unlikely you'd make it. LA arrives in Terminal 2 while AC departs in Terminal 1. The terminals are on opposite sides of the airfield, connected by a landside Aerotrain (if operational) or a shuttle bus.

That along with needing to through Mexico immigration/customs where AM (also Terminal 2) has multiple red-eyes arriving, which could lead to long queues. Even 90 minutes would be tight.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by keithguy
It's unlikely you'd make it. LA arrives in Terminal 2 while AC departs in Terminal 1. The terminals are on opposite sides of the airfield, connected by a landside Aerotrain (if operational) or a shuttle bus.

That along with needing to through Mexico immigration/customs where AM (also Terminal 2) has multiple red-eyes arriving, which could lead to long queues. Even 90 minutes would be tight.
In the absence of an early arrival, it will be off to the AMEX lounge awaiting the next flight to YYZ. Thanks for the info!
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
I was also impacted by the DST foul-up leaving a 60-minute connection at SCL to IPC.

Booked with Expedia, it took about a dozen calls to get rebooked. Expedia and LA repeatedly refused to rebook me on LAX-LIM-SCL-IPC, since LAX-MEX was on AS, and the change only impacted MEX-SCL. Which I suppose is technically correct, but disappointing.

After a lot of fighting with the agents (a particularly incompetent Expedia agent kept quoting inaccurate information about the minimum connection time, and said no residual value would be returned to me if I canceled the ticket -- attempts to HUCA resulted in me being funneled back to the same agent), I eventually was rebooked on LAX-MEX-LIM-SCL-IPC. I used to have a 6-hour layover in MEX, now I have a 3-hour layover in MEX, and 2-hour layovers in LIM and SCL.

I have a status match to LA pending, we'll see if I can get the status in time for my flights (doubtful at this moment).

Edit: And now, the IPC flight was pushed an hour ahead, as well... now I have an unwanted stop in LIM and I would have made my connection in SCL. And to think I was preventing unwanted hassle in SCL.

Last edited by ianmanka; Mar 16, 2014 at 2:34 pm
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by linglingfool
I would generally agree with the above sentiment. While I generally don't bring my FF card while traveling on AA, I would probably bring it along while flying on a partner, especially if I was crediting to a program with no status on a flight with no premium cabin, as the airline would have no way of knowing I was entitled to anything.
If you have a fruity thing to talk on, you can download your AA card to passbook and voila, no physical card, but all the proof that's necessary. It's served me well for lounge access in a variety of countries.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by ianmanka
Edit: And now, the IPC flight was pushed an hour ahead, as well... now I have an unwanted stop in LIM and I would have made my connection in SCL. And to think I was preventing unwanted hassle in SCL.
Is this airline for real?? I just noticed that the SCL-IPC morning flight has been pushed to 0850 from 0750 which would enable the original connection of
LA621/LA841 and thus restoring my 2 hour transfer @ SCL versus 12 hours.

Just duking it out over the phone (have been on hold for over an hour). Almost tempted to pull the plug on the whole thing, it has been less than a palatable experience.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Is this airline for real?? I just noticed that the SCL-IPC morning flight has been pushed to 0850 from 0750 which would enable the original connection of
LA621/LA841 and thus restoring my 2 hour transfer @ SCL versus 12 hours.

Just duking it out over the phone (have been on hold for over an hour). Almost tempted to pull the plug on the whole thing, it has been less than a palatable experience.
I feel your pain, but my friend you can't say you were not FT warned ... from my post above...

“For the flights part... there is a chance that things might change again, it is LAN after all. But if not, yes standby is quite doable. Not sure exactly when you fly but Easter exact is a busy travel time here. Playing it by ear at the airport might be quite a good plan.”

Patience is a virtue with LAN. Looks like it might work out for you afterall, hope so!
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
I feel your pain, but my friend you can't say you were not FT warned ... from my post above...

“For the flights part... there is a chance that things might change again, it is LAN after all. But if not, yes standby is quite doable. Not sure exactly when you fly but Easter exact is a busy travel time here. Playing it by ear at the airport might be quite a good plan.”

Patience is a virtue with LAN. Looks like it might work out for you afterall, hope so!
You've been a Great Mentor, and I thank you for that ^

I'm a bit of a stubborn ......., and having a bit of industry knowhow, I stood firm and held my ground despite their reluctance, and the booking has reverted back to its original status with a 2 hour connection @ SCL. There have been 6 changes since the booking in mid-February, how on earth could LAN not know (nor reflect) properly adjusted DST times a few months down the line?

It's good for now and will just keep my fingers crossed.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:25 pm

Easter trip to Easter Island MEX-SCL-IPC & return.
By the way, ACYYZ/SD, I'll be on the island for Easter, as well. Arriving Thursday, leaving Monday. If you don't pull the plug, let me know and maybe we can meet for an adult beverage and commiserate over LAN's...quirky...service.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Glad it working out for you! I find often it ends well with LAN, but getting there can be an... adventure.

Can I recommend the restaurant on the pier La Kaleta, great ambiance right on the water and with some creative delicious food... and, well, beverages for zpaul. I'm jealous.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Glad it working out for you! I find often it ends well with LAN, but getting there can be an... adventure.

Can I recommend the restaurant on the pier La Kaleta, great ambiance right on the water and with some creative delicious food... and, well, beverages for zpaul. I'm jealous.
You have to balance the good and the bad. Most recently I was in Lima and tried to sort this out at a LAN ticket office in Miraflores. A ticket office? As distinct as the dodo bird in North America. There must have been 25 agents on duty manning every kiosk position, and to her credit, a very helpful yong lady. Also in my travels, most impressed by the impeccable grooming of their staff. Did manage a quickie walk on tour of their 787 - very nice!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:42 am

beverages for zpaul. I'm jealous.
You know me so well! We'll be packing a full bar...had to buy J just for the extra luggage and weight. Oh, darn.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
Originally Posted by fly747first
I never, ever carry my FF cards.
Might not be the most prudent policy when travelling to an area that, let's say, can be a bit more "dynamic" than other regions...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.