Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Different fares for foreign residency in Peru enforced?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Different fares for foreign residency in Peru enforced?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Do you think you can come across as a Peruvian (just by looks)? People there do notice if you stand out like a "gringo", and will be more prone to ask for ID...
Ummm... beyond the obvious...

The discounted tickets are for residents of Peru, not just Peruvians. Gringos are residents too! So no.

Indeed Peruvians living offshore do not qualify for the discount tickets even if they look Peruvian .
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22

The discounted tickets are for residents of Peru, not just Peruvians. Gringos are residents too! So no.

Indeed Peruvians living offshore do not qualify for the discount tickets even if they look Peruvian .
Do all residents have a RUT number in Peru? I think it shows up on your boarding card. I wonder if LAN agents ever match the RUT number (or notice that it is missing) against your ID during boarding. Can they deny boarding when they see that you don't have a Peruvian ID and you attempt to fly on a resident fare?

A few months ago I was trying to book a LIM-AQP ticket and noticed that non-resident fares were significantly lower on the Chilean LAN. The booking class was the same as on the US website (L, "flexible") but the fares were about 50% lower. I got the PNR for the reservation but my payment was rejected even though I successfully booked a domestic flight in Chile on the Chilean website using the same credit card around that time. Then I called LAN Chile, gave them the PNR and asked them to charge my card, but again they couldn't accept payment and told me to contact a reservation office in Chile. I was in Peru then and also tried to pay for the reservation at a Peruvian LAN office, but the fare would end up much higher. When I checked Peruvian domestic fares on the Chilean LAN website today, they were about the same as on the US page, but perhaps it might be worth checking what's on offer on LAN Chile.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by krzysz
Do all residents have a RUT number in Peru? I think it shows up on your boarding card. I wonder if LAN agents ever match the RUT number (or notice that it is missing) against your ID during boarding. Can they deny boarding when they see that you don't have a Peruvian ID and you attempt to fly on a resident fare?

A few months ago I was trying to book a LIM-AQP ticket and noticed that non-resident fares were significantly lower on the Chilean LAN. The booking class was the same as on the US website (L, "flexible") but the fares were about 50% lower. I got the PNR for the reservation but my payment was rejected even though I successfully booked a domestic flight in Chile on the Chilean website using the same credit card around that time. Then I called LAN Chile, gave them the PNR and asked them to charge my card, but again they couldn't accept payment and told me to contact a reservation office in Chile. I was in Peru then and also tried to pay for the reservation at a Peruvian LAN office, but the fare would end up much higher. When I checked Peruvian domestic fares on the Chilean LAN website today, they were about the same as on the US page, but perhaps it might be worth checking what's on offer on LAN Chile.
Yup, Peruvians nationals have a RUT (but it is called a DNI). Foreigners living in Peru can get a CE (carnet extrnajero) granting them residence. Neither of these numbers show up on the BP. Now, not to worry anyway, here's the kicker. Ex-LIM LAN doesn't necessarily look at or scan the BP before allowing boarding. Sometimes they just collect them like robots and scan them later. Only in Peru, you say? Nope. Just flew MIA-BOG and they didn't look at or scan my BP. I stopped and asked if they wanted to scan my BP? Nope. Why not? Oh, it has to do with complicated aeronautical regulations.

Even Peruvians abroad have a DNI because voting in obligatory in Peru elections and you get fined if you do not go to the embassy to vote. Having a DNI number doesn't prove residency, only he information on the DNI does.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:49 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Even Peruvians abroad have a DNI because voting in obligatory in Peru elections and you get fined if you do not go to the embassy to vote.
Off-topic: This is no longer true, if you are registered abroad there is no fine for not-voting unless you are selected as a miembro de mesa (which makes sense as your local consulate might be located very far from you).

But, yes, the DNI number doesn't show up on your boarding pass.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by andreadbc
Off-topic: This is no longer true, if you are registered abroad there is no fine for not-voting unless you are selected as a miembro de mesa (which makes sense as your local consulate might be located very far from you).

^
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by andreadbc
Does this apply to other countries: In Chile the RUT (DNI) doesn't appear as such on your BP, but LAN will use your RUT as your LANPass number, so in that case it does appear, but as your FF number. Maybe, if the same is true in other countries, this is why you may have seen it on a BP?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by zpaul
Does this apply to other countries: In Chile the RUT (DNI) doesn't appear as such on your BP, but LAN will use your RUT as your LANPass number, so in that case it does appear, but as your FF number. Maybe, if the same is true in other countries, this is why you may have seen it on a BP?
Yeah, they use the DNI number for lanpass account numbers, funny enough they also appear to use Peru's long distance call prefix before that, so you number appears to be: 51+DNI+single digit (don't know what this last digit means).

By looking at your FF# they can tell where are you from.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold

Huh?? I think you did not understand my post.

I said that if you look gringo (i.e. very white and blonde), you will stand out from the crowds AND a Gate Agent or Ticket Agent will be more inclined to ask for ID if he/she had been otherwise a little bit careless with other passengers.

OF COURSE, who qualifies for local fare has nothing to do with skin color.

Now, I am not 100% sure that someone that has a VALID DNI will not qualify as a local depending on the address on the back of the DNI. Is there any actual anecdotal experience about this from someone in the forum? I would say that as long as the DNI is current and valid, one should qualify for local fare.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Huh?? I think you did not understand my post.

I said that if you look gringo (i.e. very white and blonde), you will stand out from the crowds AND a Gate Agent or Ticket Agent will be more inclined to ask for ID if he/she had been otherwise a little bit careless with other passengers.

OF COURSE, who qualifies for local fare has nothing to do with skin color.

Now, I am not 100% sure that someone that has a VALID DNI will not qualify as a local depending on the address on the back of the DNI. Is there any actual anecdotal experience about this from someone in the forum? I would say that as long as the DNI is current and valid, one should qualify for local fare.
One of the chores of the agent at the check in counter is to do a document check. They ask everyone for your identification and you give them your passport or DNI or CE if you have that. They check your ID against the ticket. If you have an improper resident only fare class, this for sure will be noticed. As you say, doesn't matter your skin colour, the check is routine SOP.

The Gate agent has no interest in doing document check of your actual ticket. They only check your boarding pass is correct. In Peru domestics, you only have to show them your boarding pass and not other ID to board. Indeed, as stated above, ex-Lima they may not even do that, they sometimes just collect it and scan it later.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MfromL
Yeah, they use the DNI number for lanpass account numbers, funny enough they also appear to use Peru's long distance call prefix before that, so you number appears to be: 51+DNI+single digit (don't know what this last digit means).

Could it be like the NRIC checksum?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by MfromL

Yes, 51+DNI+single digit.

Technically, I suppose maybe this only indicates where you chose to initiate the account (you may have moved for instance or chosen that site for other reasons :-)). They cannot tell where I am from by looking at my LP account number.

Last edited by bingocallerb22; Feb 3, 2015 at 8:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.