Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Stuck in South America: LAN's horrible customer service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum); Mileage Plus (Former Premier Gold)

I am currently in MVD for a one week visit (7/6-7/14). I bought a LAN ticket on Expedia for about $1300. I chose LAN to accumulate OW miles, which I now sorely regret.

You see, the first segment of my MVD-SCL-LIM-JFK return was in Pluna, an airline that went under just a day before my departure from JFK. LAN has refused any reasonable way to accomodate me. The two options they offered were:
1) A 7/18 departure, which would cause a significant personal and professional hardship. I just can't spend four more days in MVD.
2) Reticketing my return for an extra $1,100. This is not acceptable to me either.

I told them that a one-way from MVD to SCL in LAN is only $340, and there are tickets available. Couldn't I just buy that one way ticket and then use the rest of my ticket to fly from SCL to JFK? (Not an optimal solution as I should not have to pay extra, but at least it's better than a $1,100 difference).

Two different LAN employees told me I couldn't do that: "if you don't fly the Pluna segment from MVD to SCL, the rest of the ticket becomes invalid". I explained I would LOVE to ply the Pluna segment but, unfortunately, the airline does not exist anymore. No luck.

Expedia has not been any help either. I have been on the phone every day since Friday (today is Wednesday) with no solution yet. I am supposed to leave in three days. The problem was escalated to a supervisor two days ago but I haven't heard from them yet.

To add insult to injury, the last Expedia employee I talked to said that LAN offices were not open for another 5 hours. I told her, "Wait a second, don't they open at 9 AM EST?".
"Yes".
"Well, that's in about one hour, not five".
"Not where I am".
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Expedia and/or the ticketing carrier bear responsibility here. I'd keep hammering Expedia as they issued the ticket and should have protected you.

Worst case you can pay the difference for a new ticket and chargeback the expedia original ticket and let the credit card company sort it out for Expedia's failure to deliver a ticket as intended.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:11 am
Suspended

How is this problem related to oneworld? It's solely a LA and Pluna issue.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:26 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I'm going to move this thread to the Lan board. Please continue the discussion there.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum); Mileage Plus (Former Premier Gold)
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Expedia and/or the ticketing carrier bear responsibility here. I'd keep hammering Expedia as they issued the ticket and should have protected you.

Worst case you can pay the difference for a new ticket and chargeback the expedia original ticket and let the credit card company sort it out for Expedia's failure to deliver a ticket as intended.
Thanks for the comment. Bobby S. The ticketing carrier was LAN but when I spoke with them directly they denied any responsibility.

Fortunately, Expedia finally came through after my initial post. They talked to LAN and I was reacommodated in another LAN flight at no extra cost, as it should be. It took Expedia five days and innumerable long phone calls but they finally did their job.

One possible lesson from this is "Never buy an air ticket from LAN Airlines directly". Go through a travel agency or website such as Expedia and you'll have much more protection in case of trouble.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by CapFig
Thanks for the comment. Bobby S. The ticketing carrier was LAN but when I spoke with them directly they denied any responsibility.

Fortunately, Expedia finally came through after my initial post. They talked to LAN and I was reacommodated in another LAN flight at no extra cost, as it should be. It took Expedia five days and innumerable long phone calls but they finally did their job.

One possible lesson from this is "Never buy an air ticket from LAN Airlines directly". Go through a travel agency or website such as Expedia and you'll have much more protection in case of trouble.
Sorry CapFig but you learned the wrong lesson! The lesson should be: NEVER buy airline tickets from third parties such as Expedia (which is what you said you did). Had you purchased your tickets directly from LAN you would not have had nearly as much trouble. IRROPS are all too frequent; for that reason alone I ALWAYS buy directly from the airlines.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Call your CC issuer ASAP. If you used a US-based CC and/or the itinerary commences or ends in the USA, you may have certain specific protections in US bankruptcy which, while they are sometimes referred to as chargebacks, are not. Larger banks have likely frozen Pluna's funds and will use those funds to refund unflown Pluna segments on the spot. That may or may not include onward travel.

2. Before taking the refund on the above, check with any US carriers which fly the route and explain the situation. Most US carriers will honor the Pluna ticket and then get their cash from the CC issuer. They will also generally offer you a seat at their best fare at the time you purchased the Pluna ticket. Ultimately, this may cost something, but hopefully not much.

3. Then go back to Expedia. Unfortunately, they may only have acted as an agent, not a reseller and this then becomes part of a complex international bankruptcy which may gum up refunds / chargebacks for years while things gets sorted out.

4. Whatever you do, don't attempt all solutions at once. Your worst nightmare is that a US carrier issues you a new ticket, you get a refund through bankruptcy (sort of chargeback), the Pluna ticket now has $0 value and the new carrier cancels the new ticket. Take this step at a time and once you've got what you want, leave it alone and do not touch the record because it's going to be complex and easily capable of screw-up.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
First, sorry for you for all the troubles, not fun.

The two LAN agents quite correctly told you if the first segment is not used, the rest of the tix is cancelled, this is industry wide.

Confused: If you bought tix from Expedia then Expedia is responsible to help you when Pluna went bust, not LAN. So you are quite correct when you later state “It took Expedia five days and innumerable long phone calls but they finally did their job.” (and quite incorrect to blast LAN).

The Expedia agent is wrong, Lan ticketing is open 24/7.

I agree with Plashba had you bought the tix from LAN you would have had this resolved easily, based on IRROPS or similar experiences. But this is too easily said in hindsight. Sorry.

And given your disaster with AA and Air Tahiti, and now Pluna, remind never to fly with you!! Or maybe now hopefully you have used up all you bad luck, I hope so.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:27 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Makes one wonder

1) I hear plashba but why should agents not prop up passengers when something goes awry? Expedia has still sold something and surely consumer protection comes into play when that something is not delivered. Expedia is big enough to surely have a way to claw back funds from airlines in this eventuality.

2) Disagree with bingocallerb22, Expedia sold the tix but LAN is the ticketing carrier and so far as I can see is ALSO responsible. LAN presumably has an interline agreement with Pluna and is effectively reselling their tix or connections. LAN has been paid for that connection.

3) A side comment, LAN obviously has inventory to get him home earlier but the friction and the prolonged stay is because LAN doesn't have inventory in the same fare bucket. LAN really needs to get over this and stop being such a bítch airline. Been there myself. Revenue management models and differential pricing are fine for optimising revenue from each flight. But when the mierda hits the fan a seat is a seat.

4) bingocallerb22, stop defending LAN, they (via Expedia) have taken the customer's money for the whole itinerary, it shouldn't really matter who sold it because LAN ticketed it from nose to tail. LAN will get the OP home with a 4 day delay but won't get them home quicker. Perfect chance for LAN to do the right thing in this situation but they don't want to unless the OP pays $1100 for the difference in fare buckets. Long and short of it, there is an empty seat flying MVD back to SCL, the OP would love to be on it but this LAN stupidity prevents that.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Quoting from the OP "They talked to LAN and I was reacommodated in another LAN flight at no extra cost,"
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:11 pm

As they should have done last Friday before the OP spent 4 days ripping his hair out.

Should also have done it with having their ear bent by Expedia.

Standing by my comment. LAN needs to do the right thing at the right time without a bunch of emails, phone calls and lies from CS or getting passed around the houses.

AA might have ancient planes and abuelas for FAs but they would have had this fixed within an hour of Pluna going pear shaped.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:13 pm

I'd also add that I need to learn to read the middles of threads before replying, rather then just the OP and the last 2 comments
Old Jul 11, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat, PreCheck
CapFig said that Expedia came through after his initial post. Did you have the feeling that they were aware of the discussion here? Could that have motivated someone to actually help a customer? I admit it seems unlikely but it would be very interesting to find out.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:18 pm

Hi,

Though i am not a regular traveler on LAN, however would like to agree that Expedia did much better than LAN. Dealing with airlines based in your country is easier viz USA, Canada, India and UK, however dealing with airlines based in South or Central America is a big pain. Be advised that LAN is not asking him to contact Expedia, however they offered him 2 options. It does not matter whether it's 3rd party or not - Options given by airlines are usually the same. The reason that we avoid 3rd party as airlines do pass on the buck to travel agencies.On a different note, 2 of my friends booked tickets on Korean operated by Hawaiian Airlines. One was made through agency and other through HA website. There was a small schedule change and the flights went unconfirmed. The agency booking was easily taken care, though took many days...however the other which was bought with airline, both airline refused to help even on conference. HA said that the passenger is confirmed from their end and KE said that they are unconfirmed and NO RESOLUTION. At last, my friend get it rectified at the airport counter.....So, the other side is not always greener......

Thanks and Regards
taran_2005
Old Jul 11, 2012, 9:08 pm

Glad that in the end it worked out for the OP. Sorry to hear about all the pain and stress of dealing with something that you should not had to have worried about. I guess worse case a call to your credit card company for advice may have helped, never know. I'm currently getting help from Chase in expediting a refund from Travelocity for an aerolineas argentina ticket that I cancelled due to a cancelled flight.

I'm currently in LIM waiting for my LIM-JFK, last leg of my JFK-LIM-EZE-LIM-JFK (with a LIM-CUZ-LIM side trip) that ended up being JFK-LIM-SCL-EZE-LIM-JFK all on LAN.

This trip is in business class redeemed using BA miles before they turned into Avios. On my way down to EZE there was a slight IROPS in that my LIM-EZE plane was changed to an all economy configuration and I was booked in business class. I was really amazed at how LAN handled this. When I landed in LIM and was going through security I already had my boarding pass for the LIM-EZE leg so walked right by the transit desk on my way to the lounge. When I got to the VIP lounge and handed my priority pass card to the agent she said she had a note that I needed to go to the transit desk. When I got there while waiting in line a LAN agent who was looking for me all over the airport approached me, at the same time another agent called and emailed me almost simultaneously all to inform me of the change to my plane config. The agent that found me already had my new boarding passes in business class for LIM-SCL-EZE and asked if it wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience for me to get rerouted to stay in business class or if I wanted to stay in economy on my original flight. I accepted the reroute and was walked to my gate while she made sure to confirm that my luggage was found and retagged for my new itinerary. It actually ended up being the same plane that I just landed on from JFK at a remote stand with passengers continuing to SCL still on it so someone had to find my bag on that plane and retag it.

Now was this how LAN normally handles these situations or was it due to it being a slow Saturday morning in LIM? I don't know but I was very impressed. Mind you this was all on a BA mileage redemption with no status (I have AA EXP but it wasn't associated with this itinerary).

I decided to see how far I can get with LAN and their generosity. I wanted to see if I can get switched from a late night LIM-JFK to an earlier LIM-GYE-JFK or LIM-MIA-JFK flights that I wanted but didn't have any award seats available. I tried to see if LAN can make this change for me while at the airport in LIM a couple of days before the flight. I was told (as expected) that they couldn't due to ticket being under BAs control. Then last night I called within 24 hours of my flight thinking (possibly incorrectly) that LAN takes over control of the ticket within 24 hours and maybe they will open up some award inventory since it looked like there were business class seats available for sale on my flights. The agent I spoke with never mentioned BA controlling the ticket or the fact that there was still no reward inventory on the flights I wanted all she tried to do is see if my BA ticket allows changes to it and she could not for some reason find the rules associated with my ticket. She put me on hold and came back and still no luck. I found all of this a bit odd as I know BA has no problems with changing the itinerary assuming space was available but I didn't want to make this very complicated and get a conference call going with BA & LAN in the middle of the night on a crappy skype connection. So not knowing the rules of my ticket seemed to be only thing holding LAN back from trying to help me. Would she have actually been able to force me in to a non award bucket or have award inventory open? I'm not sure but I think there was a chance there.

In the end I am on my original flight and that's fine, just would have been nice to get home and sleep in my bed tonight instead of on a plane. As for LAN I am generally very happy with the customer service experience I had with them and also the fact that as a non status passenger I was able to reach them 24/7 with less than a minute hold time. Try that with US Airways or United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.