Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lima Layover

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Lima Layover

I will have a 5 hour layover at Lima airport in the evening.
Is there a local nice restaurant worth going to for about 3 hours?

Also, on the Southbound flight I am on the 11:05 PM JFK / LIM / SCL flight.
What food/beverage service is on this flight -- or do they do a breakfast upon leaving LIM for SCL.

Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:05 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
When I was self connecting through there in September 2011 I went to the restaurant at the attached Ramada Hotel in LIM. It is plated service with a wide menu. Average prices. The hotel is right across the international arrivals hall pick up area.

It was a nice way to kill several hours.

I did not venture into the city but you could make it with that amount of time.

There is also the usual Sabarro, McDonalds, Starbucks in the airport food court itself.

The Sumaq lounge does not have great food offerings in my opinion.

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Apr 17, 2012 at 7:12 pm
Old Apr 17, 2012, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
For a 5 hour layover, I wouldn't leave the airport assuming you are Int'l-Int'l connection. You will possibly have a long immigration line inbound, be subject to a airport departure fee to go back to the gates, etc. I don't know how bad that departure passport control is at that hour. Others can chime in. Your maximum "enjoyment" time would be about maximum 2 hours, not 3.

5 Hours - less:
1 Hour minimum - immigration each direction + security
45 minutes - at gate prior to departure
1:30 - transit time roundtrip, unless you were somewhere near the airport, which unless you have a specific recommendation, I wouldn't recommend (I wouldn't cut it any closer, "just in case.")
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:28 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by pungo

What food/beverage service is on this flight -- or do they do a breakfast upon leaving LIM for SCL.

Thanks

Hi. You'll get a nice meal (full or abbreviated, you choice) after take off and breakfast (full or abbreviated, you choice).

Is your 5 hour LIM layover int-int or int-domestic?

And oh, where are our manners, welcome to FT LanPass!

Last edited by bingocallerb22; Apr 18, 2012 at 6:04 am
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks

We are connecting from SCL to the LIM / JFK flight and have the 5hr connection.
Thanks for the replies......
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:06 pm

dont forget he $30 departure tax
Old Apr 19, 2012, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shas12
Mentioned 3 posts above yours.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:32 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
For a 5 hour layover, I wouldn't leave the airport assuming you are Int'l-Int'l connection. You will possibly have a long immigration line inbound, be subject to a airport departure fee to go back to the gates, etc. I don't know how bad that departure passport control is at that hour.
Worst of all is traffic. Lima suffers heavy, heavy traffic and the airport accesses are not the exception. Any good restaurant I would recommend is not less than 45 minutes from the airport.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Villavic
Worst of all is traffic. Lima suffers heavy, heavy traffic and the airport accesses are not the exception. Any good restaurant I would recommend is not less than 45 minutes from the airport.
That's my 1:30 RT transit time
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:45 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by shas12
On international-international flights, a couple of times now I have walked straight out of the airport for a potentially expensive cigarette and a wander around for an hour. Despite not having TUUA included in my onward tix (as the plan was I stay airside) I have scanned my 2D barcode and got the green light to get back in without paying.

I am fairly convinced that the scanners only check that it is a 2D barcode and not that you have paid TUUA
Old Apr 22, 2012, 3:03 pm

Potentially cheaper cigarrette breaks can be had at one of the bars. Don't remember the name right now, but you have to buy something.
This one time, a Japanese passenger had already lit a cigarrette and didn't plan on having anything and the Peruvian waitress came in and, as if it would do any better, spoke to him really slow in spanish to let him know of their policy.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 4:25 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
That bar is crazy bonkers.

It was called the SMOKING BAR which was not particularly ambiguous. You could smoke in the whole of the back of it.

Then it closed down for a refurb and reopened with a smoking cubicle in the back. Then the cubicle disappeared and it was a no smoking bar, then you could smoke in the back again.

I don't know why I bother with it given I can smoke in either of the VIP lounges.

On a long layover though I prefer to leave the airport and smoke outside with the taxistas. Call me odd but smoking without a bit of fresh air seems somehow "unhealthy"
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Despite not having TUUA included in my onward tix (as the plan was I stay airside) I have scanned my 2D barcode and got the green light to get back in without paying.

I am fairly convinced that the scanners only check that it is a 2D barcode and not that you have paid TUUA
I might be slow today... What barcode on what document did you use?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:17 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by pungo

Thanks
I just recalled a very good option called EL GRIFO. It used to be a fuel station, where the manager's daughters used to sell good empanadas and other dishes. They did so well that they close the station, studied for chef, and now it's a very good restaurant. It's 5km from the airport, still in Callao not Lima. Shouldn't be more than 20 minutes. Oscar R. Benavides 2703 (aka Colonial avenue). Though I just learned they opened another restaurant even more closer to the airport. Av. Elmer Faucett 2121
The issue would be they open 8am -5pm, not sure if that fits with your time windows but just in case here's the info.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Restau...933159?sk=info

There are several alternatives at La Punta Callao (the peninsula near the port). But though it's closer than going to Miraflores, Lima, the traffice is still an issue.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:32 am

Yup, always thought La Punta an interesting option for a long layover. See the fortress, tour a submarine, maritime museum, don't wander into the depths of Callao but the tourist area ok. About 20 minutes by taxi, 10-12 soles.

Also for the shopper, there is an outlet mall beside the airport. Exit domestic arrivals side, walk to the road, turn left, less than 100 metres a nice new small mall with like 20 or more brand name outlet stores, restaurant etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.