Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Daylight Savings in USA... Is LAN aware it exists?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling

Flying march 28 from JFK to Calama, Chile via SCL and my 7:40pm non-stop flight is suddenly arriving an hour later which gives only a 40 minute connection to my Calama flight. Flight still leaves same time… they apparently did not realize the USA has daylight savings time!

I was looking forward to the flight as it will be my first long haul LAN flight in J… but kinda wondering now…
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:57 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
... or daylight savings in Chile changed...

"Chile’s daylight saving time (DST) has been extended by 7 weeks, so clocks will now be moved back by 1 hour from midnight (24:00) Saturday April 28, to 11pm (23:00) instead of Sunday March 11, 2012."

Actually, I am always amazed how the airline industry can manage schedules when all these different places are changing times on different dates.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
... or daylight savings in Chile changed...

"Chile’s daylight saving time (DST) has been extended by 7 weeks, so clocks will now be moved back by 1 hour from midnight (24:00) Saturday April 28, to 11pm (23:00) instead of Sunday March 11, 2012."
I'd think that would have me arriving an hour earlier since Chile is setting the clock back. I'm arriving an hour later. But then again if they had planned for the clock set back... and then it did not happen... hmmm... brain hurts.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by schriste
if they had planned for the clock set back... and then it did not happen... hmmm... brain hurts.
Well, with regard to your thread title, yes, they do know about USA DST, in fact, they adjusted my JFK flights a few months ago. Actually, if you call Lan you now get an announcement stating flight times may have changed because of the recent Chile DST change decision. What hurts my head is if the time changes in SCL then does it not change for CJC as well, leaving your connection time safe? Ooo, time to give the Cusqueńa a rest...

Edit: Here is the announcment:

Se posterga el inicio del horario de invierno en Chile

Te informamos que de acuerdo al decreto del Gobierno de Chile, se posterga la fecha de transición al horario de invierno. Por ende, algunos vuelos que se habían programado con anterioridad serán afectados en sus horarios predefinidos.

Todos los vuelos entre el 11 de marzo y el 28 de abril podrían haber sufrido alguna modificación en su programación.

Por esto, recuerda verificar 48 horas antes el horario de tu vuelo en LAN.com.

Last edited by bingocallerb22; Mar 14, 2012 at 7:19 pm Reason: added info
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Actually, if you call Lan you now get an announcement stating flight times may have changed because of the recent Chile DST change decision. What hurts my head is if the time changes in SCL then does it not change for CJC as well, leaving your connection time safe?
No. JFK departure time remains 7:40pm. Arrival goes from 6:30am to 7:30am. Calama flight leaves at 8:10am (unchanged)... now only a 40 minute connection which is not legal. Since this is an AA award ticket I need to have the "LAN liaison" make the changes... and so far my reservation has still not been updated. Calls to both LAN and AA bear no fruit.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:52 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by schriste
I'd think that would have me arriving an hour earlier since Chile is setting the clock back. I'm arriving an hour later. But then again if they had planned for the clock set back... and then it did not happen... hmmm... brain hurts.
Their PR people don't realize it is "fall back, spring ahead" so the clock does in fact move ahead not back in April. That is why you arrive an hour LATER not earlier, in spite of their press release.

I am affected by schedule changes too, but fortunately I can still make my connections.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:11 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
remember:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lan-l...competent.html
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:36 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Though I somewhat agree with that other thread, in this instance it was the Chilean government who was incompetent for changing the date at the last minute international transport be dammed. If the time change had remained coordinated with norteamerica DST, this thread would not exist.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:39 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
Though I somewhat agree with that other thread, in this instance it was the Chilean government who was incompetent for changing the date at the last minute international transport be dammed. If the time change had remained coordinated with norteamerica DST, this thread would not exist.
in 2011 it was the same thing, they knew it was not going to be coordinated with NA DST.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:32 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
that must be the reason why they still earn money while other carriers struggle to survive
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
that must be the reason why they still earn money while other carriers struggle to survive
Or more like: As other Chilean companies with a monopoly or near monopoly position due to history, culture (social position and connections), luck, they are competent at extracting customer money but drag their feet to serve them from their offices because after all, you are there to serve them not the other way around.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
That's nothing. A few years Argentina decided that that year they were not going to observe DST. The problem is that they decided this and announced it on Friday afternoon just two days before the change was supposed to happen. It threw off computer systems worldwide for months!

Last edited by phlashba; Mar 19, 2012 at 1:58 pm Reason: error
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Well, this week my times changed yet again… at AA.com (my itinerary is booked using AA miles) times changed to be an hour earlier for all Chile times (both arrivals and departures). This is also what “my trips” shows at LAN.com, yet if I try to book a new reservation I get the times I was told (and my reservation was changed to) last week. Called LAN and they told me times are same as the first set of changes (last week)… so AA.com is wrong and my trips is wrong.

Perhaps I need to take seriously:

Update March 23 - Finally... today, all the different sites are showing the same (hopefully correct) times. And now “my trips” is finally showing Terminal 8 out of JFK too (rather than 4)!

Last edited by schriste; Mar 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
There's a little recorded announcement when you call LAN - just heard it when I called for something else. Last year, I had the same issues and it confused me endlessly flying to/through Chile. My iPhone wasn't smart enough to figure it and if the iPhone can't figure it out, I can't figure it out
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:53 am
Original Poster

OP here, was a bit worried for a bit there, but my trip is now complete. All 5 of my flights on LAN were excellent with pleasant friendly flight attendants, decent food, nice wines, and all flights were precisely on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.