FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   LATAM | LATAM Pass (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam-latam-pass-689/)
-   -   LAN 24 hour cancellation policy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam-latam-pass/1325865-lan-24-hour-cancellation-policy.html)

bingocallerb22 Mar 17, 2012 9:26 am

LAN 24 hour cancellation policy

Hmm. We all know that LAN has no 24 hour cancellation policy. Ya buy your ticket, you agree to the terms and conditions, and ya live by the fare rules. Nothing more, nothing less for Lan. Silly me, I have tried to plead a case of LP ticket change several hours after purchase to no avail, even though Lan had some culpability. :( But...

On the USA web site, and no other web site I can find, they have a Customer Service Plan link that states otherwise:

“8. Ticket Reimbursement
Passengers may request cancellation without penalty of a reservation and obtain a refund for the fare paid as long as: (i) the request for cancellation is made within 24 hours from the time of purchase; and (ii) the purchase is made seven or more days from the departure date of the first flight in the itinerary.”

http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_perso...l_cliente.html

Any ideas on how we can use this to work to our advantage?

Viajero Perpetuo Mar 17, 2012 11:11 am

Data point, ancient, but FWIW.

Years ago, I booked a SCL-MDZ visa run on I can't remember which version of their sites. I called within 24 hours and cancelled the flight without issues. But this was back when LAN had the mystique of a higher end airline and before it went LCC-like on regional and domestic flights.

jlc201 Mar 17, 2012 11:41 am

Lan changed their policy within the past couple of years so that they no longer allow free cancellations to non-refundable tickets within 24 hours. Probably a case of them not completely updating the English-language version of their site, but you could try arguing the fact with customer service.

bingocallerb22 Mar 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by jlc201 (Post 18218916)
Probably a case of them not completely updating the English-language version of their site, but you could try arguing the fact with customer service.

Yes, but no. The USA site is the only English language site that has this. If you take a close look you will see that this last clause is in a wee bit different font: it is like it has been added to the USA site only. You can find Spanish versions of similar, but they all lack that last clause about allowing 24 hour cancellations.

For sure, for sure, if i bought from the USA Lan site or USA call centre I would insist on it. Not sure how strong the argument would be if I buy outside USA?

david_33 Mar 18, 2012 9:15 am

I read on another post here in FT that U.S. law states all airlines have to allow cancellations within 24 hours of ticket purchase. I imagine that this applies to flights originating in the U.S.

phlashba Mar 18, 2012 9:39 am

Originally Posted by david_33 (Post 18223522)
I read on another post here in FT that U.S. law states all airlines have to allow cancellations within 24 hours of ticket purchase. I imagine that this applies to flights originating in the U.S.

Now THAT is indeed interesting! I would love to find a verified source for this.

bingocallerb22 Mar 18, 2012 10:10 am

So a good SOP would be to buy our international tix on the US site and, if problems, for less than 24 hours, answer the question “where are you calling from” with “Miami”?

(I like to answer that question with “at the airport in XX, travelling” since, after all, we are viajeros calling an airline... its fun to hear the hesitation at the other end of the line jeje)

david_33 Mar 18, 2012 10:13 am

I know I read it, but I can't find the post. I searched and couldn't find anything other than this: http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...le-tickets.cfm

So maybe its not law, only that almost all airlines offer the cancelation policy...(as LAN once did).

jlc201 Mar 18, 2012 11:25 am

Originally Posted by david_33 (Post 18223522)

That's right, I forgot this provision was included as part of the new US Passenger's Bill of Rights:

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2012/dot0812.html

As of Jan 24, 2012, "passengers will be able to hold a reservation without payment, or cancel a booking without penalty, for 24 hours after the reservation is made, if they make the reservation one week or more prior to a flight’s departure date."

phlashba Mar 18, 2012 12:56 pm

I wonder how these provisions apply to travel purchased through U.S. web sites but originating outside the U.S. (i.e. traveling TO the U.S.)

bingocallerb22 Mar 20, 2012 9:18 pm

;) I took one for the team... ;)

I successfully reserved a LIM-BOG tix on Lan Peru site... then called the USA number to pay for the reserba. Successfully... at the end of the call he said: you have 24 hours to cancel or change the ticket, after that you have to suck eggs to get us to make a change.

Seems we have proof now. :p

small print: pretty sure the call went to SCL but when they asnswer the USA line they access the USA computer and are limited to the fares offered on the US site - know this from a previous experience

Matt340 Mar 21, 2012 11:27 am

Call does go to SCL.. I once used a VOIP service to call the 866 number and when asked about my location (I said CCP) she was like, "this is odd, you have to call again from another phone and the call will be directed to this same call center but we'll be able to help you with chile fares" (all of this in Chilean Spanish)

phlashba Mar 21, 2012 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22 (Post 18241555)
;) I took one for the team... ;)

I successfully reserved a LIM-BOG tix on Lan Peru site... then called the USA number to pay for the reserba. Successfully... at the end of the call he said: you have 24 hours to cancel or change the ticket, after that you have to suck eggs to get us to make a change.

Seems we have proof now. :p

small print: pretty sure the call went to SCL but when they asnswer the USA line they access the USA computer and are limited to the fares offered on the US site - know this from a previous experience

Thank you from a grateful member of "the team"!

This is great news.

phlashba Mar 21, 2012 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Mavalenzu (Post 18245053)
Call does go to SCL.. I once used a VOIP service to call the 866 number and when asked about my location (I said CCP) she was like, "this is odd, you have to call again from another phone and the call will be directed to this same call center but we'll be able to help you with chile fares" (all of this in Chilean Spanish)

deleted: problem solved

bingocallerb22 Mar 21, 2012 2:12 pm

I would assume if you paid at the US web site, you would be equally covered... next on the list to try (and see if the 24 hour cancellation change policy is specifically announced there)