Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAN one-way redemption?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2011, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

LAN one-way redemption?

Does LAN allow a one-way redemption on an award ticket using AA metal? or does it have to be round trip?

edit: a more thorough search seems to indicate the answer is no.

Last edited by longleaf; May 14, 2011 at 12:52 pm
Old May 14, 2011, 3:15 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Give them a call and ask them, this came up before and I don't remember what the answer is, but last year I needed to get back to London urgently and couldn't find a reasonably priced flight from MAD-LHR, so I called LAN and they offered me a oneworld reward MAD-FRA on LAN and FRA-LHR on BA.
Old May 15, 2011, 2:00 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
I think the answer was that the award needed at least 2 segments.
Old May 15, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: LAN Commodore
Yes, I wanted to redeem a CX F flight from LAX to HKG, but LAN wouldn't let me do it. I had to also redeem a sector to Taipei or another nearby destination in order to obtain my award.
Old May 15, 2011, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by andreadbc
I think the answer was that the award needed at least 2 segments.
I think you are right!
Old May 15, 2011, 4:13 pm

Correct... at least 2 segments so that it's more like an Open Jaw ticket. I had a bit of hard time with the agent on booking SYD-CNS-AYQ, but eventually it worked. 28K km for this award... had to plan carefully to not have each segment run over 2000 km... otherwise, award jumps significantly higher (I think it would have cost more than twice if both segments were over 2000 km each (even 1 km over is considered 'over' 2K).

This award saved me a lot of $$ so I am happy
Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Question

Might be heading to Galapagos Island soon and looks like we'll be flying into GPS (Baltra) and out of SCY (San Cristobal). If we can book such a flight using LANPass miles/km I will consider moving some Starwood points over to my LANPass account but obviously don't want to do that and find out that GYE-GPS and then SCY-GYE can't be booked because it's not a standard round-trip. Is this doable for the expected number of kilometers (20,000)? Thanks!!!
Old Sep 18, 2011, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by meecal
Might be heading to Galapagos Island soon and looks like we'll be flying into GPS (Baltra) and out of SCY (San Cristobal). If we can book such a flight using LANPass miles/km I will consider moving some Starwood points over to my LANPass account but obviously don't want to do that and find out that GYE-GPS and then SCY-GYE can't be booked because it's not a standard round-trip. Is this doable for the expected number of kilometers (20,000)? Thanks!!!
I believe LAN Ecuador only flies to GPS and not to SCY
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I believe LAN Ecuador only flies to GPS and not to SCY
They do fly from SCY to GYE but only on Sundays and Mondays. Hmm....so I would be looking to book a one-way award flight on LAN from GYE to GPS. Any way to do that with LAN? I know I can do it with British Airways if award availability exists for British Airways but it doesn't right now...
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:10 pm

I think you will have to call LAN and press option 5

Although LAN seem to have a 2 segment rule they may well have another rule that states that segment B needs to originate at the destination of segment A.

You may have someone swing by and say they have done similar routing, either way when you find out please do post the answer back here. LAN will answer your question positively or negatively in a matter of seconds.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by meecal
They do fly from SCY to GYE but only on Sundays and Mondays. Hmm....so I would be looking to book a one-way award flight on LAN from GYE to GPS. Any way to do that with LAN? I know I can do it with British Airways if award availability exists for British Airways but it doesn't right now...
Are you sure of that.The flights SCY-GYE-SCY don't come up on ITA and when I search on Lan.com I get

No existen vuelos para la ruta que usted solicita. Por favor, intente con otro destino.
If they do fly the route there is a way that you may be able to check availability online but its complicated and not worth going into unless we can actually find the flights.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:50 pm

XL1560 Galápagos - San Cristóbal - Guayaquil,

Doesn't seem to appear in the LAN timetable until 20 November
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
XL1560 Galápagos - San Cristóbal - Guayaquil,

Doesn't seem to appear in the LAN timetable until 20 November
Thanks - our 1st mention of this new route

Oneworld.com will have to update its airport list as it doesn't even recognise SCY
Old Sep 18, 2011, 9:19 pm

Your itinerary is definitely bookable online meecal and although GYE-Galapagos is listed on lan.com as 15000 km each way I have been able to price out a return at 11000 km - 7500 km for GYE-GPS and 3500 km for SCY-GYE. Is there a current special on for domestic Ecuador redemptions at 50% off points? If that is the case it would explain 7500 km for GYE-GPS and 3500 km for SCY-GYE the latter because LAN seem to have loaded that flight as a regular mainland Ecuador domestic route which is normally 7000 km oneway.

I just used some random dates in Feb so you would have to check for availability for the days you want

The way of making this sort of redemption booking is detailed in one of the threads on this forum but if you can't find it I'm happy to go through it again here if someone else doesn't before me.

Itinerario

Jueves 16 febrero 2012 10:50 Guayaquil (GYE) 11:50 Galápagos - Baltra (GPS) XL1551
Económica-T

Domingo 26 febrero 2012 11:35 Galápagos - San Cristóbal (SCY) 14:35 Guayaquil (GYE) XL1560
Económica-T
Tarifa en Pesos Chilenos

Kms. Tarifa Tasas y/o impuestos Cargo por servicio Total (CLP)
Pasajero adulto nº 1 11.000 0 5.497 0 5.497
Total 11.000 0 5.497 0 $ 5.497
Old Sep 18, 2011, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Your itinerary is definitely bookable online
How do you book a multi city itinerary online?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.