Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Changed to LAN Flt. 601... what can we expect

Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks to Flyertalk posters info about flying through JFK the end of Feb... when LAN Flt. 601 LAX-LIM-SCL came available in Business, using AA FF miles, I grabbed it.

Since we fly all Flt. 601 to our final destination, can we stay on the plane during the short layover in Lima? If we have to de-plane, can we stay around the gate? Also, what meals will they be serving on the LAX-LIM leg? Any other info you can provide, will be appreciated.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by sandrar
Thanks to Flyertalk posters info about flying through JFK the end of Feb... when LAN Flt. 601 LAX-LIM-SCL came available in Business, using AA FF miles, I grabbed it.

Since we fly all Flt. 601 to our final destination, can we stay on the plane during the short layover in Lima? If we have to de-plane, can we stay around the gate? Also, what meals will they be serving on the LAX-LIM leg? Any other info you can provide, will be appreciated.
I have only flown LA600 (the reverse direction) so this MAY not apply, but I stayed on the plane in LIM (slept right through the layover, actually). As LIM is listed as an "escala" that implies no change of equipment, thus no need to deplane.

Leaving at 13:20 and being in J for LAX-LIM I would expect a snack, dinner and very light breakfast. Lunch upon departure probably is not be on the menu, though, so you might eat in the lounge or airport before departure if a "snack" won't hold you over. LIM-SCL will have breakfast in J.

Good choice using LAN's J hard product - it's a great one. Have patience with ground service.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 2:21 am

Programs: QF-Gold
I'm almost sure (although not 100%) that I have boarded this flight at LIM as one of the first people to board and found the plane already half full. This would imply that you do not have to deplane. To echo Zpaul's response, going the other way you certainly stay on board.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Unless you have an aircraft change (this has happened once in maybe a dozen times on 601 over a 9 year period),

(1) You can stay on 601.
(2) The flight is treated like one long international flight for crew and meal purposes.
(3) If you disembark, you will need to take all of your carry on and go through transit security and then go back up to the gate area. I do not recommend this unless you really want a duty free item @ LIM.
(4) You receive a full meal shortly after takeoff. It will be on a full tray with your salad, starter (usually a choice of a cold plate or a soup) and your cheese plate. You will then receive your main entree (choice of 3, one is often a light option like a smoked salmon salad). You will then receive your dessert. Maybe 1:30 from LIM, you will be served a snack plate with 2 mini sandwiches and a dessert and fruit bowl. After LIM takeoff there is no service unless you ring your call bell, but you will receive a room service-like breakfast card, and you check off what you want. Approx. 1:30 before SCL arrival, you will receive a full breakfast (should you want one).
(5) As you are unfamiliar with LAN, note that a few service items you may not like, but once you know it, it is fine - they don't do a pre-meal beverage service - if you want one, you have to ask (i.e., when they are taking meal orders, just ask for your "champagne before the meal, or scotch before the meal, etc.) Between service times, they do not do beverage services - your water glass will be removed, not refilled. You have to ask if you want more, but they will gladly do it. So, go to the galley, or ring your call bell. On the plus side, every time you choose a new wine, you will be presented with the bottle, then given a taste, and then you approve or disapprove the wine (poured to an appropriate level in a large glass). Contrast this with the ghetto AA wine service, where they grab the "white or red" with their hand, by the top, and pour the little glass full, and you either like it or you don't.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:48 am
Original Poster

My sincere thanks to all of you. Eastbay... we will now fly LAN prepared! And, if they don't make us leave the plane, we will stay put during our LIM layover.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.