Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Two questions about using Korean miles (on Delta flights)

Old May 22, 2017, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

1) Is it possible to book a one-way for half the cost in miles of a roundtrip award (25,000 miles), i.e. for 12,500 miles?

2) I have read that the procedure for booking a flight using Korean miles involves 1) having to call Skypass, then 2) waiting for a return phone call the next day, then 3) having the call-back agent hold/book the flights, then 4) having to complete a redemption form to finalize the booking. Is this still the procedure?
Old May 22, 2017, 10:36 pm
gpy

No, you must book roundtrip if you want to fly on Skyteam partners.

You can now book Skyteam awards directly on Korean Air's site.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL now lets you book one way award tickets with DL miles. If you use partner miles, that partner's FF program rules about award tickets would apply and you would make the booking through the partner.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gpy
No, you must book roundtrip if you want to fly on Skyteam partners.
You can now book Skyteam awards directly on Korean Air's site.
Thanks for the replies.

It sounds like the booking process is not as complicated as it once was.
And maybe I need to try a different browser.
Using Safari I was unable to book on Korean's website.
I'll give my other browser (Firefox) a try.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by muji
Using Safari I was unable to book on Korean's website.
I'll give my other browser (Firefox) a try.
The website works fine using Firefox.

Question: I read somewhere that although Alaska is not a Skyteam partner,
it is a partner with Korean - and Alaska flights can be booked with Korean miles.
Is this correct?
Old May 26, 2017, 7:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes Alaska is a KE skypass partner.

Earning
Redemption
Old May 26, 2017, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Yes Alaska is a KE skypass partner.

Earning
Redemption
Thanks, Kiwi Flyer. I was not able to locate those awards pages on their website; have been having trouble getting the webpage to work smoothly.

If I may, another question: Would I first find Alaska award availability (as if I were using Alaska miles) on the Alaska site, then call Korean to tell them which flights I have found available as Alaska awards, then Korean would process that itinerary for me using their miles?
Old May 26, 2017, 11:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

yes but award routing rules, cost and availability may differ
Old May 28, 2017, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

On the itinerary I am hoping for/may get, there is connection involved (the first flight is on Delta itself; the second is on "Delta Connection/Skywest"). Is this allowable using Korean miles?

I researched this and found that "Delta Connection is a regional airline brand name for Delta Air Lines, under which a number of individually owned regional airlines operate short- and medium-haul routes."
Old May 29, 2017, 12:51 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

From a passenger perspective, Delta Connection is the same as Delta.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

I have new question. Any help would be greatly appreciated !

I want go book the 80,000-mile roundtrip, in business (US-Europe) Skypass miles award, on Delta (since it flies to Europe from my home airport, Seattle, whereas Air France, KLM and other Skyteam airlines do not).

Im guessing that availability might well be a problem in the high season, but I would prefer to fly in the fall or early spring (e.g. October or March) when I assume there would be better availability for an award.

I still cannot get the Korean website to work hardly at all in Firefox (and it doesn't work for me at all in Safari). Would Internet Explorer be better? I can try using that on a work computer I have access to.

Should I probably just call Korean and tell them, for example, I want a 10-day trip, leaving sometime in March - and they then would be able to tell me which dates are showing up as available - is this maybe my best option?

And finally, assuming I book low- or shoulder-season, should I expect to get two business seats on Delta for Korean's stated 80,000-mile roundtrip price?
It seems like such a great deal; I'm wondering how easy it is to actually book two seats on the same flight in business at 80,000 miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.