Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

JL-marketed, KE-operated flight, how to credit miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold

We were bumped off an overbooked Malaysia Airlines flight in J. One of the rerouted segments involved us taking a JL-marketed, KE-operated flight (JL5210/KE723 from ICN to KIX). I've been trying unsuccessfully to retroactively credit this to either my FlyingBlue (SkyTeam) or Qatar (OneWorld) accounts, due to programme restrictions. Short of opening a new JL or KE account, are my miles lost? The original carrier, MH, isn't responding to my emails either. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
alaska?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As this is pertaining to a KE operated flight, we'll move this to the KE forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:11 pm

u can look at this page
http://www.wheretocredit.com/korean-air/j

Alaska does seem to offer the most miles but they have to have an active account every 18 months.
U can buy miles into the program though.
Can take flights on JL/CX using Alaska miles.

KE miles have a 10 year validity so u can hold onto the miles for quite a long while.

The ICN-KIX segment is quite short so even if u lose the miles, it doesnt really hurt a lot, fortunately.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
The other poster is correct. ICN-KIX is minimal miles. Also, based on your ticket, you probably might not even collect anyone.

With JL marketed, KE operated flights, the alliance rules are weird. My ex and I flew JL GMP-HND and the return was HND-GMP operated by KE but purchased on JL website.

At check in, we presented his Morning Calm (Sky Team Elite status) card. They told us that even though he is an Elite member, flying on a KE plane, that his benefits didn't work because it was paid through JL. We literally were put on the last row of the plane (KE Morning Calm usually gets special seats first half of Y cabin). I don't recall if we earned any miles at all.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:52 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I don't think you can earn sky team miles due to being marketed by JL (non-sky team airline). You might get miles with QR as flown, or alternatively request original routing credit with QR (they will need to confirm with MH that your rerouting was involuntary).
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks folks for your pointers. I was perhaps not too clear: I was hoping not to open yet another account, in order to consolidate my miles in as few places as possible. Thanks Kiwi Flyer. QR won't credit those miles as flown as JL is not the operating carrier (QR's rules). I will request for original routing credit with them, as MH hasn't responded at all to my request to do so.
Old May 6, 2017, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Just to close the loop. I emailed QR to request original routing credit, and it was done within the week. Thanks all!
Old May 6, 2017, 4:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by cowie
Just to close the loop. I emailed QR to request original routing credit, and it was done within the week. Thanks all!
A good result.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.