J to F on the old A380?

Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Question J to F on the old A380?

I'm currently booked in J from JFK-ICN in September. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be on the old A380. I've accumulated enough for an upgrade to F class if I want to, but I'm struggling to decide if it's worth it. I'm not swimming in points so the saving can go towards my next trip (maybe in F if it's on the new 747). From the trip reports I've read the food/bev in F is not that spectacular (no caviar?).

Should I save the 17.5k points each way (x2 of us), and put them towards another trip, or is the F experience on the old A380 still worth it?

P.S. I've flown J on the A380 before and I think it's alright.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:14 pm

If I were in your position, never trying first class before I recommend taking first class one-way. It's definitely worth trying out once. I've been on 1st class several times on KE and the service is always awesome.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hitokill
If I were in your position, never trying first class before I recommend taking first class one-way. It's definitely worth trying out once. I've been on 1st class several times on KE and the service is always awesome.
Thanks! I'm just wondering if I should wait to try it out on the new 747, or is the old kosmo suite on the A380 decent? I also heard their catering in F is not that great, so just wanted to see what others' experiences have been.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jbeans
Thanks! I'm just wondering if I should wait to try it out on the new 747, or is the old kosmo suite on the A380 decent? I also heard their catering in F is not that great, so just wanted to see what others' experiences have been.
Several good, detailed trip reports on KE F on One Mile At A Time's and SFO777's websites.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:11 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The A380 is not that old.

First class is better than business class, but the difference between first and business is less than the difference between business and economy.

If on the late night departure from JFK then meals are a bit funny - supper after takeoff and second meal halfway across the Pacific (not just before landing as they would be with most airlines). There may be flexibility to change the timing of meals in first, but not in business.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:39 am

Since u have tried the J, maybe u can try the F this time.
There are 12 F seats on the A380 and highly likely that many of the seats wont be filled so u will pretty much have lots of privacy and quiet.

They did serve caviar when i took F a few years back.

KE also provides pajamas and bed turndown service in F.

Originally Posted by jbeans
I'm currently booked in J from JFK-ICN in September. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be on the old A380. I've accumulated enough for an upgrade to F class if I want to, but I'm struggling to decide if it's worth it. I'm not swimming in points so the saving can go towards my next trip (maybe in F if it's on the new 747). From the trip reports I've read the food/bev in F is not that spectacular (no caviar?).

Should I save the 17.5k points each way (x2 of us), and put them towards another trip, or is the F experience on the old A380 still worth it?

P.S. I've flown J on the A380 before and I think it's alright.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:56 am

When flying JFK-ICN route I always try to book F when flying A380 but happy to book J when flying 747-8. The reason being there is a huge privacy difference between F/J in A380 where not so much in 747-8.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:00 am

The A380 J is pretty mediocre so it's more of a motivation to upgrade to F (which is also mediocre, but less so than J).
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I am not sure if they provide full size pillows in F, but I wonder why they only have the smaller pillows in J on KE, whereas all the US and European airlines have full size pillows in international long-haul J.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.