Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

KE treatment of travel on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:04 am
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too

Due to limited award availability on ROR-ICN, I am considering booking the following using a mix of KE miles and cash:

Person A: one-way award ticket in business class ROR-ICN-JFK
Person B: one-way cash ticket in business class ROR-ICN, plus award ticket in business class ICN-JFK

The connection in ICN is about 2 hours.

A couple of questions:
--Should I expect they will be willing to check the bags through from ROR to JFK for person B? If not, we could possibly make do with Person A's baggage allowance, but it would be nice to have the option to use both allowances.

--Any experience of what happens if ROR-ICN is late and we miss the connection? I imagine Person A should be fine and will be rebooked on a connecting flight or the next JFK flight fairly easily.

But would they be willing to treat Person B the same? I know KE has very generous award ticket flexibility rules, so I would imagine the ICN-JFK award ticket could be changed or cancelled with minimal penalties, but in theory if there is no award availability on the same flight(s) offered to Person A, potentially Person B could be stuck?

Appreciate any thoughts or experience. Thank you.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:24 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Several years ago, I flew ATL-ICN (round trip from Incheon bought by my employer). I bought a separate ticket ICN-MNL (round trip) to continue my vacation upon returnig back to Korea.

As these were separate, I had to collect my bags at ICN and exit the airport to check in again landside. I also took time to mail a large back to my house in Seoul.

I had around 2-3 hours. It was ample time to do everything BUT it was in the evening.

Incheon in the mornings is BUSY these days. Two hours to collect your bags and check in again won't be sufficient. As the flight lands in the morning with lots of redeyes, that can take time. Then the KE counters will be busy and you'll be cutting it close.

Too risky!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 3:02 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Thanks for your thoughts. Definitely agree there will not be enough time to go out and check back in. But, if we plan to just have 2 suitcases to check, we can have Person A check both of them under her ticket, which is a single ticket all the way through, so it should be no problem for her to check the bags all the way to JFK.

So then the only risk is what happens if the first flight is delayed and we miss the second flight.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Korean Air isn't "ruthless and heartless" like most American carriers or LCC if you miss a flight. They'll generally put you on the next one with availability. BUT now they do have a "No Show" fee for flights, so you should be wary of that. I'd mention it at check in for your first flight that you are connecting on a different itinerary. They can make a note.

If you do not have bags to pick up....then you can go to the International Transit inside the airport, saving you considerable time in the morning. Also, online check in will save time, too IF you do have to go back out landside. You can use web check in counter. Also, on the front side of each row, there are separate "No Bag Check In Lines" that can be faster to use, too.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:51 am

Also I've had Korean Air treat separate bookings as one for checking through and issuing boarding passes. It's not guaranteed, they are under no obligation too but generally I've found them to be quite helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.