Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Korean vs Asiana

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Korean vs Asiana

I am looking at a LHR>SYD round trip, in business, and the two are pretty much the same, price-wise. Based on purely that, I would be keener on Korean since they seem to have the fully-flat seats on both legs (right?), whereas Asiana doesn't on either, and I have far more miles with SkyTeam airlines.

However, since there is a long overnight layover in SEL on the way back, I was considering adding an extra night there so we can actually see the city. Doing this as a multi city raises the price by nearly £800pp with Korean whereas it leaves it untouched with Asiana. I phoned Korean to see if they could do it for the same price since it's just an extra 24hrs on the same flights, but it was the same over the phone as online.

Now I am conflicted. I'd love to go for the nicer plane/seats and get more miles, however I am not sure I can justify so much extra for the sake of a day/miles, to stick with Korean.

Any thoughts?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:12 pm

LHR-ICN on OZ is flat beds. SYD seems to be 333, which is the angled flat.

I wouldn't pay GBP 800 extra for KE J over OZ J if only two of the legs (one of which is a day flight) has the slanty J. No way.

KE J food is pretty dismal and OZ has always been significantly better service for me personally. Really, apart from route coverage and hard product, OZ is a much nicer experience than KE in J.

Note that if you are not yet *G and not already a member of OZ's program, you will be 25,000 miles into the 40,000 qualification for *G status. If you can do the remaining 15,000 miles fairly quickly, you can have a near-4 year duration of *G. That's probably a worthwhile consideration too.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks! With *A, I am with United, though not with a massive amount of miles...certainly not gold (or silver!).
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just a heads up that the OZ 330 in J is pretty uncomfortable, particularly for a 10 hour flight. And the AVOD is archaic. OZ food and service are really good though.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
As far as your airplane is concerned, Korean Air wins. Their planes are more consisitent with interiors and they rarely swap out like Asiana does. Asiana will swap a plane at the last minute (aka when check in opens). That being said, they are still clean and well kept, but the amenities and seat type vary wildly.

The service on both is extremely similar. Equal running.

Food, however, Asiana wins. Korean Air isn't "bad" per se, it's just not as delicious as Asiana. Seriously. THAT ASIANA CAKE.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I traveled on KE J LHR-ICN last year and it was a pleasant trip. The business class section was in a 2-3-2 config and was at most half full. The flight departs LHR in the evening and is perfect timing to have dinner and then sleep for a good reminder of the flight. I can't remember if it was fully lie-flat or slanted lie-flat, but was comfortable enough for sleeping.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Just a heads up that the OZ 330 in J is pretty uncomfortable, particularly for a 10 hour flight. And the AVOD is archaic. OZ food and service are really good though.
Sadly, the AVOD on KE isn't much better. I was very disappointed by the meager offerings from ORD-ICN last month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.