Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

KE miles program VS DL miles program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:28 pm
jy3
Original Poster

I live in Korea now and was collecting all the miles to KE, which I realized recently that it sucks so bad. Now I'm around only 10000 miles away from becoming morning calm member. I actually have around 20000 miles worthy ticket through DL and was wondering if I should put this into KE and become a member now or put this into DL and starting collecting through Delta (have 0 miles in Delta). I just don't really like the overal services of Delta and they are very small in Korea but I realized that there is no way I can reach sky team elite plus through Korean air which it requires 500k miles, well at least in a short period of time, whereas I can get eilte plus through Delta with just 50000 miles.
What do you recommend me to do guys?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:21 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If your next flight will gain Morning Calm status and those benefits will be of use in the next year then it would seem sensible to credit enough to get that status before switching. That way you can get elite benefits while working your way to DL status.

As well as elite earning, consider what you'd use the miles already in your KE account. If it is not quite enough for a useful award then may be worthwhile continuing crediting to KE until you have enough, before switching.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:13 am

Programs: Skypass, IHG
KE Skypass Morning Calm is good for 2 years once you have qualified. Delta Skymiles is annual qualification in dollars and miles. In addition, the miles needed for getting award flight is getting so high at Delta that it is very unattractive in this regard.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-program.html
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:21 pm

DL has much higher redemption rates but also has some definite advantages over KE: one way awards on partners and a normal web interface to quickly book tickets (including on partners) whereas with KE you deal with a barely competent helpdesk to do almost anything. You can also redeem tickets for anybody, whereas with KE it is only for family members. Finally with DL you have the option (if you have a US billing address and credit history) to get a DL Amex and get additional MQMs (and status) via spend on the card.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 9:49 pm

Hi -

If you do not want KE elite status, get an Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account and credit your flying there. Your miles will still be worth something; you can redeem across several TPAC partners (including intra-Asia on KE and CX).

Finally, if you get MVPG, you can give me your gold guest upgrades.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Marriott Platinum SPG Gold National Emerald
I'm a Delta Diamond and will possibly qualify again in '16 with MQM's to rollover.
With Delta's price inflation on the International routes I'm going to start using Korean out of HNL for certain trips.
My question is:
To gain Morning Calm I need 50k, and it can be 30/20 with partners. DL is one. If I fly Delta can I keep the MQM's but assign the "miles" to KL Skypass? In other words, is it possible to strip the miles and maintain the MQM's. I presume I'll always maintain the MQD's.

Mahalo
Old Mar 27, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
cant split. Otherwise I assume every US-based flyer would credit miles on other skyteam partners while maintaining status on delta.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Marriott Platinum SPG Gold National Emerald
If you choose to credit your KE miles to Alaska or Delta when do you have to do it? At ticketing, at check-in, or could it be within a certain time period after the flights are completed?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Hawaiino
If you choose to credit your KE miles to Alaska or Delta when do you have to do it? At ticketing, at check-in, or could it be within a certain time period after the flights are completed?
On DL, you cannot change the FF number (program) after boarding the first flight on the itinerary. It's essentially all or nothing.

Normally you can change the FF number/program well after ticketing, but some carriers don't "allow" one to use an elite number to check in and extra bag and gain lounge access while crediting to another program. Others allow you to enter one number/program for status and a different one to credit the miles.

Don't count on changing the FF number/program after the flight. Even if a mistake was made, this can be frustratingly difficult to change at that point.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
Originally Posted by Hawaiino
I believe you have until you check into the first segment on the itinerary; even to change the #.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.