Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odd meal times in Prestige

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Odd meal times in Prestige

Hi all,

First of all: I love the KAL product. (Note my screen name!) However, after doing two TPACs in prestige over the past couple of months, I have this question: what is with the truly weird meal times?

On ICN-IAD the other day, lunch was served right after take off. So far, so good. But . . . the final meal, the "breakfast," was served while the flight still had six more hours to run! We were over Anchorage. Meal times were similar on a recent ICN-ATL run.

Why isn't the final meal served closer to arrival, as is usually standard? It's so weird!
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
KE flights apparently all followed the same "scheduled" for each designated routes to/from ICN, etc. as shown here - I'm surprised that you didn't look into this https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/...-americas.html

It's apparently the same as in the "main" cabin or economy class services, switching on all the cabin lights when the gallery is almost ready & the carts coming onto the aisles shortly

Last month, we flew the midnight JFK-ICN flight on the A388, and dinner was served at 2:30 AM (NY time ... almost early breakfast, should be "lunch" in Seoul) and yulp, breakfast about 8 hours into the flight (so, it was 9 AM in NY and 10 PM in Seoul ... could've been a late "supper", we're given the choices - among them, western eggs & sausage with yogurt, or rice porridge ) - many pax were trying to get some sleep, but no can't do. By the time we're getting close & ready to land soon, hungry again (and, prepared with our own "stashes")

On our return flight options, ICN-JFK, the morning flight served the 2nd. meal about 1/2 way thru and we picked the evening flight where the 2nd. service was 12 hours after wheels up - we stopped in the KE lounge upstairs first to "snack" first & ate our 1st. meal onboard ... and sleep en route without the entire cabin being awaken until we're flying somewhere over ORD airspace.

It's a "strange" schedule that they followed - I agreed - surprised more pax didn't share feedbacks & comment with KE on the timing. CX on TPAC is more accommodating and will serve at our requested time & let us sleep otherwise.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
KE flights apparently all followed the same "scheduled" for each designated routes to/from ICN, etc. as shown here - I'm surprised that you didn't look into this https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/...-americas.html
I did look at that, actually -- it's in the KE mag. But it doesn't explain why they schedule them at such odd times. That's my question.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by koreanair720
Hi all,

First of all: I love the KAL product. (Note my screen name!) However, after doing two TPACs in prestige over the past couple of months, I have this question: what is with the truly weird meal times?

On ICN-IAD the other day, lunch was served right after take off. So far, so good. But . . . the final meal, the "breakfast," was served while the flight still had six more hours to run! We were over Anchorage. Meal times were similar on a recent ICN-ATL run.

Why isn't the final meal served closer to arrival, as is usually standard? It's so weird!
Not an answer to your question, but just curious; isn't the second meal for these KE early afternoon departures ex-USA considered dinner? Seems reviews I have read all suggest a full dinner is served ~6-7 hours into the flight.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Wish I have an easy answer too, however, other TPAC long-haul carriers have similiar schedule for their meal service, and fill the gaps in between with a light snack/meal or DIY (especially for the main cabin pax) - whereas those in the forward cabin/upstairs, like CX, do have the choice of having their meals served at whatever time, up to the cutoff time for FA's landing prep (as long as that's communicated to the IFM upon boarding/welcome intro)

Don't know if KE do that as an option but in the main cabin, if pax is asleep & have the DND sign/sticker, they won't serve the meal as the tray cart rolled down the aisle ... and, apparently, one can ask for it later on upon awakening (well, it is easier to reheat the entree item too) With a more "elaborate" meal upfront, given KE's staffing ratio, I still think it can be done with minimal efforts - afterall, they keep busy with duty-free sales, handing out landing cards & customs forms shortly after taking off, and, after cleaning up for meal service - taking turns for their crew rest, as they should.

My other thought is that the "breakfast" service is more economical - regardless of what time zone/hours it is served ... I vividly recall the good old times that even on a 6 hours domestic transcon flight that we get a full meal plus an arrival snack/sandwich, even in the main cabin - with hot towel service, nowadays - it's BYO.

Perhaps try writing customer services at KE ahead of one's next flight onboard, and, let us know
Old Oct 16, 2015, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by houserulz77
Not an answer to your question, but just curious; isn't the second meal for these KE early afternoon departures ex-USA considered dinner? Seems reviews I have read all suggest a full dinner is served ~6-7 hours into the flight.
I'm talking about ex-ICN flights...these meals were served in the wee hours, I believe it was still dark outside in fact. And not a full meal -- just one plate rather than muiti-course
Old Nov 4, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Yea, why wake people up.

I would think the crew would be happy if most of the plane is sleeping and not bothering them.

Does not make any sense.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:51 pm

Strange today too. I was in F but I saw on the flow chart the 2nd meal ICN-IAD was served about a little over half way into the flight. In fact, the lights from business class woke me up. I thought it was so odd they were serving the meal at that time. In first they let you order the 2nd meal when you want. However, the choices were strange. It is an overnight flight and there is not one remotely breakfast type item. Maybe they are assuming it is dinner time in Seoul?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.