Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

AKL-ICN-JFK via transfer points (UR/SPG)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum

Need a return flight from New Zealand around Dec 8th-ish. Thanks to KE's JFK nonstop, it looks like routing via Korea is only a couple hours longer than the "obvious" carriers that use LAX as their American gateway (NZ, QF), and is actually shorter than Pacific island stopovers (HA, FJ, TN). Best of all, KE flies nicer jets with much more award space than any of the above.

If I'm reading the award chart correctly, this itinerary should cost 55K / 97.5K / 120K points in economy / biz / first. I can't get their booking tool to price any of the above, though, only individual segments. ExpertFlyer confirms there is tons of space during the week of Dec 7-11.

Never flown to this part of the world before. Any gotchas to be aware of before I blindly xfer points into their system?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 7:36 pm

Make sure your dates are out of KE's peak season: from AKL to JFK, peak season begins 12/19 while JFK to AKL's peak season is from 12/10 to 12/25. Regardless, I would call them and hold the award seats and get quote for miles and taxes (incl YQ) before transfer points. KE allows an award hold for a couple of weeks (different for departure country's policy) and SPG to KE may take some time for transfer. UR to KE happens instantly, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.