Food in business

Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skypass/Krisflyer
Food in business

I seldom pop for business, but did for my next trip on a Tokyo-LAX Korean flight. And I never eat airline food - business or economy it always seems disgusting. But I have no experience with the food on KE in business. Can anyone venture an opinion? Disgusting? So-so? Good? Superb? Well that last is hyperbole.
Any opinions?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
The bibimbap is always a tasty choice on KE in J or F.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Smile

Originally Posted by mtkeller
The bibimbap is always a tasty choice on KE in J or F.
Agree! ^
Hard to go wrong with warm rice, fresh veggies, and shredded beef.
The haddock (whitefish) soup that comes with it is great as well.

I like the bibimbap because it's so simple, and the ingredients are so 'clean'. Veggies aren't soaked in salt and butter, the meat isn't drowning in fatty syrup or gravy. It's just such a light, fresh meal choice. On an airplane that's sometimes hard to find.....
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:44 pm

Overall, I'd say KE's business class meals are decent, but not stellar.
I think the Western style dishes may disappoint you, but the Korean ones should be alright...at least they won't be disgusting IMO.
Just try it yourself and see how much you like/dislike it.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Will try

OK! Thanks for the opinions. I won't hassle with bringing my own. I'll
gamble on it. Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I'm confused. KE no longer flies NRT-LAX. Are you routing through Incheon, or are you on a codeshare operated by Delta metal?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Incheon

I have to go to Incheon, then change to an LAX flight.

By the way, why did Korean stop flying direct from NRT to LAX?
Anyone know?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
They weren't making money on NRT-LAX. With about four daily nonstops ICN-LAX-vv, no one going through wanted to make the stop, so it didn't really function like a tag route (it wasn't like pinning EZE-SCL onto AMS-EZE or SIN-DPS onto AMS-SIN, where a goodly number of pax are flying both segments). So that meant the route was really an independent NRT-LAX route that competed against all the others flying that route and indirectly competed against HND-LAX. Just too much competition, most importantly from home carriers JL, NH, UA, AA, and DL.

KE 001/002 now serves HNL. Reportedly the slot restrictions at NRT meant that the flight had to go TPAC, not turn back to ICN as another NRT-ICN frequency. So they're giving HNL a go. No word on how it's doing. But a recent flight on the NRT-ICN segment didn't look like it had impressive loads. F and J were mostly non-revs.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

nrt lax

Well that explains that. Thank you for the update. I had wondered.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Does anyone know what the service order is in J? I'm looking at IAD-ICN, and probably last row.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
We're flying KE ICN-JFK in J and the flight is ~14 hours. How many meals do they serve on this flight? Are there snacks set up anywhere in the cabin (77W) between meals?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by agjil
Overall, I'd say KE's business class meals are decent, but not stellar.
I think the Western style dishes may disappoint you, but the Korean ones should be alright...at least they won't be disgusting IMO.
Just try it yourself and see how much you like/dislike it.
This is probably fair. Everything I've ever had has been quite edible, but not exactly stellar or exciting. It's mass-produced food, not really cooked on the spot, what do you expect?

The bibimbap is reliable and decent. The wines, well... they're serving what I would describe as food wines. All the reds have too much tannin to be considered sipping wines.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Does anyone know what the service order is in J? I'm looking at IAD-ICN, and probably last row.
Is your question about what sequence they go around the cabin in to take orders and serve the food, or is your question the plan for what gets served when?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
We're flying KE ICN-JFK in J and the flight is ~14 hours. How many meals do they serve on this flight? Are there snacks set up anywhere in the cabin (77W) between meals?
The order of service can be found in the back of their in-flight magazine, Morning Calm.

Ask if you care for some kind of a snack or drink.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Is your question about what sequence they go around the cabin in to take orders and serve the food, or is your question the plan for what gets served when?
The sequence. Don't want them to run out of something before they get to me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.