Wiki Posts
Search

Korean Air LHR-AKL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Korean Air LHR-AKL

I'm looking for a good deal for business class flights from the UK to New Zealand for a 6 week trip in Feb 2016. The fares on most of the obvious candidates have been £3,800+ for some time and I've been hanging on for a sale. The other day I saw flights with KA for £2,500, which is obviously a very big saving for two tickets. The flights are via ICN and are very quick outbound (c24 hours). Coming back there is a 19 hour layover at ICN but I understand we can get a free hotel room?

The metal is 777-300ER from LHR-ICN and back and 747-400 ICN-AKL and 777-200ER AKL-ICN.

So I'm trying to get a handle on the quality of service offered by KA in comparison to other possible carriers e.g. Cathay, Singapore, Air NZ, Emirates, Etihad etc. I could also use the likes of China Southern, who are similarly cheap but have been put off them by reading reviews.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:33 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The IATA code for Korean Air is KE not KA (which is dragonair).

The aircraft type on the ICN-AKL leg often changes, but not unusual to have 747 over southern summer season = old business class seat.

I've flown most of the airlines that fly between NZ and Asia. On Korean service and catering is good without being exceptional. Seats & IFE are substandard.

Whereas on China Southern the seats are great but service, catering are poor. China Southern, Singapore and Cathay Pacific all have short connections.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:44 am

Hi.. my wife, 8 year old kid and I did exactly that itinerary in Dec 2014 for our holiday, LHR-ICN-AKL with B773ER on LHR-AKL and B744 on AKL-ICN.

KE will provide a room on the way back at the Hyatt Incheon airport hotel, but it will be in the older East Wing. We decided to pay our way and get a superior room in the brand new West Wing, and it was worth it. Excellent hotel with a nice dinner room, and access to the hotel is via a shuttle bus.

It was very helpful to get proper sleep in a hotel bed on the way back, helped a lot with adjusting to time zones.

Plus:
- Price, obviously, very good.
- The B773ER was new and nice, with a 2-3-2 config. It worked for us as they were 3 of us, and it'd easily work for a couple.
The flat bed was very good, slept nicely.
- Food was very good. I ordered Asian Vegetarian special meals on the way out, it was OK but the Korean food looked so nice that I switched for the way back. It was excellent, nice bibimbap.
- Service was very good, very Asian like. I am used to Virgin Atlantic who combines service and warmth. Found KE to be good at service but not a lot of warmth. Nothing to complain about though. Better than BA for sure.
- Lounge at ICN is very nice
- IFE on B773ER

Minus:
- The B744 is older and has angle flat beds. But the good part is that the ICN-AKL legs are day flights, so really didn't sleep. Make sure you book for upstairs seats where it's 2-2 config, very private cabin feel.
- Checkin at AKL felt messy, one counter for J cabin with an old carpet. But you do get access to the Air NZ lounge.
- IFE on B744 was crap.

We had a go around at ICN due to ATC and the captain did an excellent job landing in AKL in a stiff crosswind.

Overall, it was worth it. Recommend.

If you need more information or opinion on hotel in AKL/other places, drop me a message.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:27 am

I haven't flown all those airlines in business (some were in first), but it boils down to whether you want good service or the equipment and food are more important. Cathay and Singapore are known for excellent service. Emirates and Etihad have nice equipment (I flew Emirates first-hated their service). Airlines based in China are notorious for being poor in service.
If you look for equipment I'd try to find it where you have direct aisle access in every seat.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks pk45cu. I actually posted the query a month ago so already have the flights on hold. What you tell me confirms I was right. Whilst the overall experience may not be quite as good as the top carriers a saving of £2,600 is a powerful incentive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.