Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Skypass Miles on Delta

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1P / *A Gold, SPG Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Amtrak S+
Originally Posted by waterandwoods
I understand that Korean Air may not have access to the same award availability as Delta or even other partner airlines but I am having a ton of trouble getting the agents to find just about anything I'm seeing on Alaska's website.

I am wondering if you all have any tips for working with the agents to find what you are looking for.

For example, one leg of the trip I asked about was IND-OGG in May 2017. On Alaska's website I can see Delta availability on more days than not, with reasonable layovers. The agent today told me the only availability in May at all is on May 18, with a 9 hour layover at LAX.

Whenever I have tried schedule part of the trip with a stopover at LAX I seem to have much better luck with availability. This makes me wonder if they are able to see more options when they search each leg individually. If so, how can I get them do that on the non-stopover portion of the trip? I have tried feeding them exact flight numbers that I have found. One agent wasn't able to find any of them and another seemed unwilling to check.

I am trying to book for 5 pax and I know that makes it much harder but I am just confused as to why I can see so much Delta availability on Alaska's website that Korean Air can't see. Should I just keep trying?

Literally the same thing is happening to me. I found plenty of level 1 seats on delta.com for the month of November for IAD-HNL/OGG but when they called, they couldn't find anything and that was trying for all airports as far as EWR. Haven't tried feeding them the segments, but I'm surprised at the huge discrepancy between Delta and Skypass agent.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Novagal
Literally the same thing is happening to me. I found plenty of level 1 seats on delta.com for the month of November for IAD-HNL/OGG but when they called, they couldn't find anything and that was trying for all airports as far as EWR. Haven't tried feeding them the segments, but I'm surprised at the huge discrepancy between Delta and Skypass agent.
Same here. Literally nothing to HNL after October. But then someone up thread said they got a May date. Is DL blocking KE awards?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ladyjaneMN
I just booked similar flights. Make sure you can see the award flights on both Alaska and Delta and you shouldn't have a problem.
I see 100s of low level award DL flights LAX-HNL or OGG etc etc on DL and Alaska from now till next summer, but KE is telling me they see nothing after early December. Is this a HUCA situation? I'm getting kind of desperate.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: Delta, Southwest, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I see 100s of low level award DL flights LAX-HNL or OGG etc etc on DL and Alaska from now till next summer, but KE is telling me they see nothing after early December. Is this a HUCA situation? I'm getting kind of desperate.
Hmm, that is weird. I would keep trying. Be as specific as you can about dates/flight numbers/etc. It was me that posted a few weeks ago that there was one day in May they could see (which I have on hold) but I assumed that part of the problem is I need connecting flights from IND or SDF and that complicates things.

Please let us know if they are still saying nothing is available or if you have success.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 10:38 pm

Hmm, that is weird. I would keep trying. Be as specific as you can about dates/flight numbers/etc. It was me that posted a few weeks ago that there was one day in May they could see (which I have on hold) but I assumed that part of the problem is I need connecting flights from IND or SDF and that complicates things.

Please let us know if they are still saying nothing is available or if you have success.
I'm waiting on another call back. This time I requested ONLY the LAX-OGG leg. Hoping that simplifying my request will help. If they can see that flight, then I'll ask for the continental leg. It's maddening. If you have any luck, please update.

UPDATE: worked. I'm thrilled. I'd been having a horrible day at work and it ended with hoopla and celebration about upcoming trip.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Aug 31, 2016 at 5:31 pm
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:30 pm

Have you sent your booking application in? Just wondering how long it takes for them to confirm. I'll transfer my points once I hear back from them.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:28 pm

Have you sent your booking application in? Just wondering how long it takes for them to confirm. I'll transfer my points once I hear back from them.
No, I haven't sent it in yet. What I've got on hold is not ideal and I got sick of dealing with them for awhile, so I haven't done it yet. Congrats on your success! Were you able to get connecting flights too?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:19 am

No, I haven't sent it in yet. What I've got on hold is not ideal and I got sick of dealing with them for awhile, so I haven't done it yet. Congrats on your success! Were you able to get connecting flights too?
Yes. I do think this probably a HUCA situation.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:32 am

So I called to try and change just one of my flights to a more desirable date. Lots of availability showing on Alaska's website. The Skypass agent said he can see the flight but its not showing as available for booking through Korean Air. He suggested to keep trying back since there is a lot of time before my flight. grrr.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:15 pm

Okay, here's a question for you. How long will they hold Delta flights? I am pregnant and due to have a baby in January. We are looking at possibly going to Hawaii in the beginning of August. Delta will soon be releasing its schedule for that time. Since the baby won't be here until January, we haven't decided upon a name yet. So. . .do you need to give names when you hold the flight or only when you send in the paperwork? If you don't need the names just to hold, will they hold it for several months or not?

I mean, worst case scenario we just wait until the baby is here and then hope for award availability or change our dates. If we could lock in a date, though, that would be ideal.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by oliviaik
Okay, here's a question for you. How long will they hold Delta flights? I am pregnant and due to have a baby in January. We are looking at possibly going to Hawaii in the beginning of August. Delta will soon be releasing its schedule for that time. Since the baby won't be here until January, we haven't decided upon a name yet. So. . .do you need to give names when you hold the flight or only when you send in the paperwork? If you don't need the names just to hold, will they hold it for several months or not?

I mean, worst case scenario we just wait until the baby is here and then hope for award availability or change our dates. If we could lock in a date, though, that would be ideal.
Oh, I would book NOW, or as soon as your Aug dates open up. KE told me they would hold till a few days before the flight, which in my case is in July 2017 (I could see my rez on their "my trips" page). But then they called me the other day and took my cc for the fuel charges and now I'm completely booked (not on hold). Maybe I could've asked for continued hold, but I didn't b/c I wanted the security of booking complete.

If you have a lap baby, you won't need a ticket for him/her and can just call Delta and add lap baby to rez later. If you want a seat for baby, I think you could simply put "Baby YourLastName" for your child's ticket. Or use whatever name you think you might choose ultimately. Baby doesn't have to show a passport or ID. E'hem. See here too: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...rplane-ticket/
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:50 pm

Oh, I would book NOW, or as soon as your Aug dates open up. KE told me they would hold till a few days before the flight, which in my case is in July 2017 (I could see my rez on their "my trips" page). But then they called me the other day and took my cc for the fuel charges and now I'm completely booked (not on hold). Maybe I could've asked for continued hold, but I didn't b/c I wanted the security of booking complete.

If you have a lap baby, you won't need a ticket for him/her and can just call Delta and add lap baby to rez later. If you want a seat for baby, I think you could simply put "Baby YourLastName" for your child's ticket. Or use whatever name you think you might choose ultimately. Baby doesn't have to show a passport or ID. E'hem. See here too: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...rplane-ticket/
Oh wow, I completely forgot that I wouldn't need a ticket for the baby. So, that solves that issue. I still am a little concerned about the hold. You said your flight was a KE flight? I read a couple places say that they will hold KE flights much longer than partner award flights? I will still need them to hold minimum a month, probably more like two months, as I just got approved for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card and will need to meet the minimum spend to get my points and have them post to my account. If they won't hold, I will just have to hope that there is some sort of availability for August in a couple of months.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:11 pm

Oh wow, I completely forgot that I wouldn't need a ticket for the baby. So, that solves that issue. I still am a little concerned about the hold. You said your flight was a KE flight? I read a couple places say that they will hold KE flights much longer than partner award flights? I will still need them to hold minimum a month, probably more like two months, as I just got approved for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card and will need to meet the minimum spend to get my points and have them post to my account. If they won't hold, I will just have to hope that there is some sort of availability for August in a couple of months.
This is the thread for using KE skypass points on delta. And that's exactly what I did. Our flights are all DL but booked via KE. Reserve now. And cancel later if necessary. PM me if you need help with booking.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:45 pm

I haven't completed the process but from my understanding they will hold even the partner tickets until a few weeks before departure before they collect the miles. I think it was talked about earlier in this thread.

I can tell you that I have had an itinerary on DL to Hawaii for about a month and I haven't even bothered to send in the application form to Korean Air. It's still there (I tried to change one of the flights yesterday) and they haven't been antsy to get the application/money/miles so far. I have had my family plan in place since before I started the booking process. They did ask for everyone's names at multiple steps in the process so far but it sounds like that won't be an issue for you if yours is a lap baby (I'm bringing one too).

I would definitely try to get something on hold as soon as the booking window opens if you can. What Korean Air can see seems to be FAR more limited than what Delta or Alaska's websites can see.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:28 am

Is it true that Delta limits seats booked via KE Skypass to 1 seat/flight for FC from US Mainland to Hawaii? Trying to figure out how to jockey some points around. I'd like to eventually book 2 FC tickets from New York to Hawaii, but not sure if I can do it with "just" Skypass on DL or if I'll have to do one ticket on DL via Skypass and one via regular DL miles. Obviously a lot cheaper to book via Skypass on DL.

But I also think I read that you can't book a ticket for someone else with Skypass unless they're "family" or something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.