Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Skypass Miles on Delta

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2015, 8:56 pm

Quick question for a newbie to using Skypass.

Have a very specific flight on Delta that I would like to book very soon:

June 5th DL 7320 BOS-IND 8:45AM. 12,500 miles, tier 1, etc.

Completely out of Skymiles, but have a ton of UR. I understand the process of transfer to KE via calling, however this particular flight is not available at all on the KE website. Does this still allow for use/redemption using the SkyPass miles?

Thanks, hate to waste the points transferring if won't be able to actually use.
Old May 12, 2015, 9:14 pm

transfer from chase UR to KE is online but the partner ticket redemption process is manual/offline... you will not see partner flights on the KE website. you need to call, wait for them to call you back, find the flights, and make the reservation. Then you email a redemption form, and wait for them to call you again to issue the ticket. And this is just the straightforward version, without counting the times that they don't call you back or they claim that the seats are not available when in fact they are, etc etc. I love the low cost of awards but the entire experience is usually very frustrating.
Old May 12, 2015, 9:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give it a shot as it's literally the only flight that fits my needs and I don't have another way to amass points.

Guess I could (gasp!) pay for it, but who the hell wants to do that.
Old May 13, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
FYI, partner awards with SkyPass are not available as one-way awards, so you'll pay round-trip pricing.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:41 pm

I tried calling Korean air skypass to inquire about availability for the 45K roundtrip from LAX-HNL business class on delta metal.

But while both flyingblue / Delta sites were showing LAX-HNL saver level 1 award (coded R) are available for both legs, skypass agent told me on the phone that she couldn't find any available seat on the same days...

Is this just incompetent agent or delta releases fewer seats to KE than to AF/KL (I believe DL and KE are not the best friends in skyteam alliance)...... ??
Old May 26, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Korean Air Morning Calm Premium Club
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I tried calling Korean air skypass to inquire about availability for the 45K roundtrip from LAX-HNL business class on delta metal.

But while both flyingblue / Delta sites were showing LAX-HNL saver level 1 award (coded R) are available for both legs, skypass agent told me on the phone that she couldn't find any available seat on the same days...

Is this just incompetent agent or delta releases fewer seats to KE than to AF/KL (I believe DL and KE are not the best friends in skyteam alliance)...... ??

Similar thing happened to me. It is available in Delta site, but not in KLM site or Korean Air agent. I don't think it is the agent, it is more likely the Delta is not releasing these seats to partner airlines.

Old May 28, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
I was looking for availability from the Boston to Hawaii for 4 seats. I found N availability, on delta.com. I spoke with two agents over three calls. I don't think the skypass skyteam desk has more than two or three people working on it. One agent was much more helpful than the other. The first agent could not find anything. The second agent could find stuff, but what he could see appeared more limited than what was available in the N bucket on delta.com. In the end I found availability on Alaska and took it. The availability at the 20k level on alaskaair.com appeared to reflect what the skypass agent could see.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Expat2001
Similar thing happened to me. It is available in Delta site, but not in KLM site or Korean Air agent. I don't think it is the agent, it is more likely the Delta is not releasing these seats to partner airlines.

But I could also find the same delta flight on air france flyingblue award booking portal. So Delta probably only released the seat to air france, not Korean air.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:26 pm

Waiting and waiting

We got some tickets reserved from PDX-LAX-KOA. They show up under My Trips, but the status shows "Pay by". On the phone they said that they will call me eventually for the payment of the fees. I booked the tickets months ago and I'm starting to get nervous. The flights are for the end of August. Is this normal? They assured me that my tickets are reserved for the 25k round trip price. How close in do they usually wait to call for payment of taxes and fees?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:54 am

I think this is normal. When I booked NYC-HNL tkts in March, I called back to pay and the agents were reluctant to have me pay so early (flight is in Jan 2016). As long as the seats are reserved, they will call you about a month out to collect payment, which then happens quickly over the phone.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Recently booked one way SEA-ICN in First for 80,000 miles.

I then added DEN-SEA on the front end and agent re-priced it an an extra 20,000 miles. So far so good. Called back today to confirm and SkyPass agent now says it's 45,000 for the DL flight so the total is now 125,000 not 100,000. Does the round-trip partner rule apply even if I'm connecting to a one way KE award or is agent 2 incorrect?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:46 pm

Finally got my flight

So I just got back from our first Hawaii trip using the Skypass miles on a Delta flight. In the end it all worked out. I booked the trip about 8 months or so in advance. I tried multiple times to pay my taxes and fees, but they insisted that this could not happen until they called me. I was really getting worried when the trip was only a couple weeks away. Finally I got the call with about a week to spare. The taxes ended up being about $23 per person for the round trip tickets PDX-LAX-KOA. I thought that I wouldn't have the ability to pick my seats etc until the fees were paid, but this is not the case. Delta was able to find my Confirmation Number with my info and originating airport. With this info I was able to select seats for most of the legs, but not for the first segment. This worried me quite a bit, but we were assigned seats at the gate so all was well.

I just thought I would share my experience for others. I am taking a risk and transferring over another 200k miles in hopes that this will work out for our next couple of trips. Amazing deal for 25K per person round trip.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:44 am

Class of service?

When I'm looking at Delta.com, how can I tell (before I call Korean Air) which flights might be available? Specifically, I see RT flights for 57.5K, 52,5K, 50K, 40K, and 37.5K from NYC to ANC Economy. Is the last one the equivalent of a SAAVER fare?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by fafa123
When I'm looking at Delta.com, how can I tell (before I call Korean Air) which flights might be available? Specifically, I see RT flights for 57.5K, 52,5K, 50K, 40K, and 37.5K from NYC to ANC Economy. Is the last one the equivalent of a SAAVER fare?
Since Delta did away with their award chart, I think the best you can do is try to find fares on Delta that match the old saver rates (25K for Roundtrip in the US, 45K for Roundtrip to Hawaii). This is just a guess though. They will do some looking for you if you have a range of dates that would work. Maybe someone else will have more info.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 9:52 pm

Can anyone confirm whether having a passport for your children to fly DL on KE miles is required? I found flights to Hawaii that look like they would work, but only my wife and I have passports, and I don't know that I'll be able to put all the miles in one account and book it if the kids don't have them. Anyone know the answer for sure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.