Using Skypass Miles on Delta

Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:57 am

Congrats for that.

One quick question: did you consider convert miles to BA and redeem for AS flights? Won't need those family pooling documents and you would be able to finish everything online. Was it an availability issue? It would be the same 25k if you find any nonstop flights.

Oh, if you depart from EUG, not PDX, then never mind. There's no direct from EUG.. would have cost more miles through BA.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:31 am
Original Poster

I think I may try something. My wife and I are flying Emirates from Orlando to Bangkok. The reasoning is that their fare was $1,092 R/T which was quite a bit lower than any other airline. Before we leave the US I might try booking Skypass miles for a couple of trips out of Thailand possibly to Vietnam or China. Airlines like Vietnam Air and Xiamenair, which are Skyteam members, have flights from Bangkok. I am wondering if it will be easier using KAL Skypass mileage on these airlines rather than trying for the legacy carriers. Also, even in the far east, KAL charges a lot in fees to use mileage on KAL. I can't believe it would be as much on these two other carriers. Anyone knowledgeable about this?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by cubachao
Thank you for your update. I am looking to boom a trip to Hawaii with KE miles as we'll. we have two people, each account need 25k miles? Not the person who book the trip bank the miles? This just not make sense to me.
I was able to book two 25k KE awards, JFK-HNL, this week for myself and my domestic partner. We avoided the whole "marriage license" issue by me transferring 25k from my Chase account to his SkyPass acct and 25k to mine. I think, if you can't transfer into each person's account directly, you have to fill out the family form to pull miles all from one KE account.

Overall, the process was not nearly as awful as I thought it would be. Quirky, but not bad. And a 50k vacation for two to Hawaii isn't too shabby
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:24 pm

I used a Korean Skyteam award to reserve a seat from Moscow to JFK in business class on Aeroflot. Now I want to add a 1-hour domestic connection from JFK to YYZ on Delta.

Delta has two classes on the plane, First Class and Economy Class... no business class.

My previous experience with DL and KL/AF was that the "first" seats were priced as business class for award purposes. But Korean says that they are priced as first class, kicking the whole award into a first class price level. Unfortunately there are no economy class seats available for skyteam awards on these flights now which I would gladly use to avoid this.

Has anybody dealt with this before?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:11 pm

My wife and I tried to book for our first time with Korean this week. But we've gotten really stuck and are not sure how to proceed or to abandon all hope.

We want to fly to and from Paris and had no problem with Korean finding and holding for us a pair of seat going from SEA to CDG (even the highly desirable only non-stop flight from SEA to CDG going) BUT we can't get *any* flight back! Been calling Korean every day and asking them for any flight at all even 2 stop flights from Paris to Seattle for a two week period of late May/early June and he keeps telling us there is nothing. And he says call again on Monday but if we can't find a return flight then we have to abandon the only FF tickets we can book that are non-stop and go to (shutter) United and pay another 10,000 miles each (barely have enough there) and have to do 1 or 2 stops which we hate as somehow because of my last name TSA says I keep getting flagged for extra screenings which really slows down international connections for flights with stops and plane changes. Anyone have advise or knowledge of how Delta operates in these releases of FF seats to Korean?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by lewinr
I used a Korean Skyteam award to reserve a seat from Moscow to JFK in business class on Aeroflot. Now I want to add a 1-hour domestic connection from JFK to YYZ on Delta.

Delta has two classes on the plane, First Class and Economy Class... no business class.

My previous experience with DL and KL/AF was that the "first" seats were priced as business class for award purposes. But Korean says that they are priced as first class, kicking the whole award into a first class price level. Unfortunately there are no economy class seats available for skyteam awards on these flights now which I would gladly use to avoid this.

Has anybody dealt with this before?
I am having the exact same problem, I thought about trying to get a supervisor to resolve but they just wear you down and in the end you give up.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:29 pm

their own award chart shows that the cost of an intra-NA award is the same for First and Business. But as a connecting flight they want to charge 20k for "First Class".

https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/...h-america.html
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:47 pm

I am trying to book a flight from MSN to Hawaii in May. I see on Delta's website (and Alaska Air) that if I fly the following route:

MSN to LIH on May 3rd - via MSP and LAX
HNL to MSN on May 11th (arriving the 12th) - via LAX and MSP

There is availability for 3 people at the 45,000 saver level on Delta (all on Delta operated metal). I called Korean Air yesterday to book, and they were unable to book it since it was on a partner and needed to connect with Delta first. I just received a call back from Korean Air and they said Delta did not have any availability on my requested dates.

Am I doing something wrong here? My understanding is that all requirements are being met and my different locations in Hawaii are also valid. Hoping to get these booked soon as availability from Madison, WI is relatively limited. If need be we can leave from ORD or MSP but this is our top choice.

Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:00 am

Now I'm trying to add economy class segment to a business class award (not issued yet) and being told it cannot be done.

I have JFK->AMS already held in C, and I want to add YYZ->JFK in Y.

I am being told (adamantly) that this is not possible, you cannot add an economy segment to a business class partner reward with Delta. And it is due to Delta's restrictions on the award tickets that Skypass can issue. And my only option is to have the YYZ->JFK segment ticketed separately. The issue for me is not even the miles, but if there is a delay with YYZ->JFK and I miss JFK->AMS it will be a problem because of separate tickets.

Has anybody faced something like this before?

Unfortunately there is no way to HUCA because they only take a message for somebody from the "Skypass team" to call me back. And inevitably it is the same guy who calls me back each time who says "I told you last week that this is not possible!".

Has anybody done this before? It is getting very frustrating...
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
I am not surprised as Delta will not allow mixed itinerary awards to their own Skymiles members.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:25 pm

Really? Is that new? I'm sure in the past I had business class award tickets that contained economy class segments without any problems or additional costs.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:26 am
Original Poster

I've got enough KAL mileage to fly R/T in economy Orlando - Bangkok. I tried different dates going and returning and, although KAL does have seats available, the dates are not even close to what I would prefer.

Other Skyteam members, Aeroflot, Air France, China Airlines, China Eastern, China Southern, Delta, and KLM all fly this routing. I also believe that Emirates has come into Skyteam now.

If I want KAL to utilize that mileage for a ticket on any one of these airlines how do I proceed with KAL. Do I tell them the approximate dates leaving and returning and say that any of these airlines are acceptable? Or, do I have to specify each airline separately?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:52 am

First checked bag free

I have booked a flight on Delta with Korean Skypass miles and I have the Delta Skymiles credit card. Will I be able to use the credit card to get my first bag checked free or will the benefit not apply because the ticket was booked though Korean Air?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Originally Posted by 804Kyle
I have booked a flight on Delta with Korean Skypass miles and I have the Delta Skymiles credit card. Will I be able to use the credit card to get my first bag checked free or will the benefit not apply because the ticket was booked though Korean Air?
You should be able to flash your Delta credit card at check-in for this perk, but YMMV
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:14 am
Original Poster

I'm in the Korean Air Skypass forum and nobody can tell me the procedure for using Skypass mileage on other Skyteam Member airlines. I know that you have to call Korean and tell them you want to use your mileage on another Skyteam airline. However, can I tell them that I will accept any affiliated airline that can get me from point A to point B and where I can use my mileage? Or, do I have to give them a specific airline and itinerary only? I simply want to use my mileage to fly from Orlando to Bangkok R/T and will accept any airline where I can use my mileage for a ticket. KAL does not have any skypass seat availability on their aircraft from now until the end of August.

Thank you, in advance, for any assistance that may be offered.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.