Korean Airlines Not for Us

Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:33 pm

I suspect the OP will be going through several airlines as they
discover rambunctious rug rats fly not only Korean but all the
other airlines as well.

Buying an extra seat should not raise your expectation that
the flight will be comfortable in all respects. It only means
that seat will be empty... nothing more nothing less.

I have low expectations when flying simply because much of
the experience is out of my control; however, my reaction is
well within my control... I can chose to have a bad day or to
make the best of it and enjoy myself.

Last edited by Paul56; Dec 15, 2014 at 2:39 pm
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by spearsba
Not always, my wife flew a TPAC on OZ in Business. A mother and child were across the aisle from her. The child used the seat as a playground, climbing to the top and sliding down, generally jumping all over the tow seats. It was totally unsafe and very annoying. The FAs only smiled and said how cute the kid was.

I recently flew in F from IAH to HNL on UA. The three bulkhead seats were occupied by a mother, teenage daughter, and young son. The son screamed most of the flight and would not stay in his seat. The FAs repeatedly warned them, but to no avail.
1. Was the child being overly loud?
2. Was the child interfering with your seat?
3. Is it any of your business if it was "unsafe"?

How was it "totally annoying"?

Or is this a case of you not liking being in the same breathing space as a child?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
There have been a number of PM complaints about ethnic stereotyping in this thread. After my reading every post, a number of redactions have been made. IMO the subject matter is not diminished by removal of the references to third parties' ethnic group or place of residence.

If you have any questions or rationale why more specificity is needed, do not hesitate to PM me or another moderator.

Thanks
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by CBear

How was it "totally annoying"?...
You do the same as an adult - if a considerable number of other pax and crew think that you are terminally insane then you have partial evidence that it would also be annoying if a kid did it. Easy test.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1
These kicking little "bundles of joy" can fly in any class of service offered. No guarantees. The same could have happened in business class or FC.

I am still laughing at the $1330 paid for an empty seat.

Unreal.

KE is laughing all the way to the bank with that $1330.
Sorry, my friend, but on an aircraft that has a 3-4-3 configuration you are probably going to have a stranger sitting next to you for 14 hours. If you are with your wife you are going to be in the middle seat all that time. Now, what if one of those rug rats were sitting next to you? Or an obnoxious person, or a very overweight person, or a person who doesn't shower? Paying for an extra seat allows for a lot more room, especially when the seat dividers are pulled up. It also makes it so that nobody is sitting next to you. It's cheaper than getting two premium economy seats and drastically cheaper than business class. Keep on laughing while my wife and I travel in relative comfort.

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Guarantee? Unless you personally book the whole J/F cabin or own a plane in which you offer Y/J and/or F, that's an impossible guarantee.
With First Class and Business Class cabins being mostly filled by two types of people, frequent flyers being upgraded and airline employees getting free travel, there is no guarantee that civilized people will be in those classes. Anybody can build up frequent flyer miles. They don't have to have any class to be flying Business and First these days. And, airline employees are certainly not among the upper class. When I worked for a large multinational corporation the company insisted that I fly first class for long haul flights and at other times business class. A lot of these people are definitely not upper class. I can't tell you how many flights where I had to put up with obnoxious people who thought they were entitled. Drunks, vulgar language, and guys hitting on the FA's. One time, on a Cathy Pacific flight I had to report a group of FA's to the Purser because they were drunk and foul mouthed. My wife and I were in first class and we couldn't even get the FA's to acknowledge us. If you fly enough you will eventually see everything.

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
May be I am missing something but if you buy an extra seat and don't board can't the airline give that seat out to someone?
How could they do that? You have a paid ticket for the unoccupied seat. Nobody can sit there, it's your seat.

Originally Posted by dkjb3t4
yup.

And as some people have said, even then it's not a "guarantee."

OBVIOUSLY, it's not some sort of a fundamental human right to fly without being annoyed.
OBVIOUSLY, annoyances are more common in economy than in first class.

If you have a problem with those statements, I hope you find that unicorn airline in the future that's perfect and everyone is super ^
It's just like if you were in a bar and somebody in the bar is annoying you beyond reason. You call the police. The police come and remove or arrest the person. The FA is the police on board an aircraft. You notify the FA. If the annoyance doesn't stop you notify the supervisor. If it still doesn't stop you notify the pilot advising that you are going to call the police when the aircraft lands. There is never a reason to put up with major annoyance or bad behavior. I don't care what permissive society that we live in today.

Originally Posted by weero
Actually LH is the only airline I know who makes a serious and credible effort in telling children off and admonishing parents to administrate and control what they produced. And I appreciate it very much. Even the Japanese carriers are not as disciplined as LH.

And while ADD and just generally terrible kids sporadically occur anywhere, they are produced and pampered in Asia. If someone lets their brats scream around in the lounge or provides their 2 year old with a blaring DVD player and no headphones (as did a {ethnic reference removed by moderator - unnecessary to make poster's point} family recently in the SEN lounge on VIE), they are regarded as enormous sphincters.
But here people do this in concerts, cinemas, lectures ... why should a child that can barely grunt a few words not operate a cell phone during a late night movie screening? After all the whole world has to gyro around the terminally spoiled heir.

So is it a surprise that this happened on that route and that carrier and that neither management nor FAs could care one dime? Absolutely not.

Japan is the one glorious exception indeed.
Leave it to the Germans.

Originally Posted by fleur_de_lys
Ha, Ha that happened to me once where the kicking was going on for at least half an hour and I politely asked the parents if they could tell their child if they please not do not (this child was old enough to know better). Eventually I just stood up, turned around and said in a loud voice to the kid that if he didn't stop that right now, I was going to have him arrested when he got off the plane (of course he didn't know that wasn't going to happen) but that stopped him promptly from doing it for the rest of the flight. Mother didn't say a word.
She's probably used to being arrested.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 20, 2015 at 5:40 pm Reason: combine six consecutive posts into one
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by CBear

How was it "totally annoying"?

Or is this a case of you not liking being in the same breathing space as a child?
A toddler a few feet from you bouncing around is simply annoying. Yes he was loud. The unsafe part is my business as if we hit bad turbulence and the kid becomes a flying object that may strike someone, then yes it is my business.

I have two children that have traveled extensively. We have not ever allowed them to "act out" on an airplane.

Its just as annoying as an unruly adult on a flight, loud, usually drunk and yes annoying.

My view in any class of service is to be respectful of those around me.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
A toddler a few feet from you bouncing around is simply annoying. Yes he was loud. The unsafe part is my business as if we hit bad turbulence and the kid becomes a flying object that may strike someone, then yes it is my business.

I have two children that have traveled extensively. We have not ever allowed them to "act out" on an airplane.

Its just as annoying as an unruly adult on a flight, loud, usually drunk and yes annoying.

We need more parents like you. I simply don't understand some of the parents today that insist that they be their kids' friends rather than, you know, actually parent. When I was a kid, I never ran around, kicked seats, screamed, or did anything else. I read books or watched the in-flight movie and stayed quiet.

My mom and dad did a good job with me on that. Even now, I mind my own space, I help people with their luggage in putting it up in the bins if they need, not kick someone's seat for reclining, and generally try to be a productive and respectable member of society.

Bad parenting leads to bratty kids becoming idiotic adults.

When I have my own little mini-pathfinder, I'll love my kid but I'm still going to be a parent. I will not stand for bad behavior.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

^
Excellent parenting. Thank you for your service and thoughtfulness.

To the OP: Korean Air doesn't give a s*** about in-cabin problems or complaints. I gave up trying to get justice for any problems we had before on there.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: hyatt hotel,fourseasons hotel,qatarair,sixt platinum
Red face Hmmm

Korean air guest service for reply of inquiry thru online seems doesn't work. I also asked the location of Korean air office in male. No one reply since last year.
Hmmmm. Think of which airline I can fly to Korea.

Anyway have a good day!

Last edited by divian; Mar 20, 2015 at 8:45 pm Reason: Too long
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by divian
Korean air guest service for reply of inquiry thru online seems doesn't work. I also asked the location of Korean air office in male. No one reply since last year.

Anyway have a good day!
Cathay or Singapore airlines perhaps?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Originally Posted by divian

Anyway have a good day!
OZ? (Asiana)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.