Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Can i carry a 27" iMac onto the airplane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can i carry a 27" iMac onto the airplane?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by nux
A much better option would be to buy a suitable cardboard box (either OEM or third party) to check it.
This is only an option if the OP doesn't care whether or not the iMac arrives in one piece (if it arrives at all).

Given the circumstances (flying in international F), I'd sooner take the risk of carrying it on.

ETA: It looks like the OP is not alone: In addition to the thread mentioned by nux, Google points to several discussions on this topic, some with some helpful ideas.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I passed through the Dixon's in LHR T5 today and looked at a 27" iMac. I would bet one of my crown jewels that I would be allowed that as carry-on on pretty much any F class worth its salt. I've had much bigger things lugged on board.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Alright.

I will just try to take it onto the airplane.
If I can't get through the security, I will just go back out and give it back to my friend and get a new computer in the destination country.

Maybe I will wrap it in some bubble or something.

Given that this is first class, it should be possible.
I've never seen first class all full on Korean air anyway.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 5:20 am

you will be really pushing it with something this size but seeing that you are determined not to ship it (box, bubble wrap, insurance would keep me happy) I suggest you wrap it in enough bubble wrap that the oversized luggage guys would accept it were you denied. you should really have a plan B here.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Is the iMac really that special that you're willing to go through that hassle.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BRAISKI
Is the iMac really that special that you're willing to go through that hassle.
well it's a $2500 computer that I like using.
I suppose I could buy another computer at my destination country.
Kind of a waste though.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Okay so the answer was no for CX F, at least not onto the actual flight.
They were going to help me check it in, but obviously that would come with significant risk.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:08 am

Programs: Skypass
I have looked into this topic before. There are few articles on macrumors and various site... No one managed to carry it as carry on unfortunately. Some used special carrying case, some used normal suit case with plenty of padding(stand removed). It's same for both pre 2012 and post 2012. They are simply too big.

post 2012 21inch seems to be just on the border of being allowed as carry on and I was looking into buying that for that reason. Unfortunately, Apple is crippling 21inch option hard these days... so I did not go down that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.