Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J vs F

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:11 am
Original Poster

J vs F

This is potentially one of those "duh" thread, but I seriously want to know, what do you get in F that's better than in J? I'm trying to justify the cost of paying 20k extra miles (from CGK to JFK with 3 hr layover) From some of the research that I did, it boils down to the following list:

1. Hard product for sure, although the J seat is nothing to scoff at.
2. Better food, although from the sounds of it not by much. I don't drink alcohol, so I won't be able to taste the better champagne.
3. Pajama vs no pajama.
4. Bragging right.

The rest of the amenities look almost the same (Davi brand lip balm etc). What's the difference in lounge like?

To me, 20k extra miles is a "moderate" increase in price. Not super steep, and I can afford it. But it's also a non trivial amount, esp since MS is harder to do these days
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:14 pm

The difference will be Kosmo Suite vs Prestige Sleeper throughout the journey, as both JFK and CGK gets the latest products.

Food, PJs, amenity and lounges are all relatively minor considerations compared to the huge difference in the hard product. Service will naturally be much more attentive in F as well, due to the small number of passengers.

If you're travelling alone, I think there is enough difference in the hard product alone to make it worthwhile since I do not enjoy having a stranger as a seat neighbour.

If you're travelling with someone, then I'd be happy enough to go for J, but F is still a good experience.

Edited to add:
You're choosing between
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Korea...861/2206805/L/
and
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Korea...861/2206804/L/

for a total of ~40 hours of flying.

Last edited by stargold; Sep 12, 2014 at 1:32 pm
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
You'll also get access to the F Lounge at ICN - while it's certainly not one of the best in the world, in the 2 times I've been it's always been very empty and quiet and a nice place to relax.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
KE F is great, my last experience, I was the only pax in F! If you get it on both legs go for it. Too bad you are not a drinker, as the drink selection is great onboard and in the lounge... If you were just doing one leg I'de say go J but for two fairly long legs take F and enjoy! Maybe you can ask for a bottle and gift it since you aren't drinking lol.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: KE/OZ/QF/VA
If it's on A380, F class is def better than J. As posts previously mentioned, the biggest difference would be the hard products. I was lucky enough to experience Kosmo suite last year on A380 on route to JFK from ICN and it was an amazing experience. Food was just quality. On top of your list, they also provide you with a duvet service, boss noise cancelling headphone, and better selection of liquor. You do feel spoiled. In saying that J on A380 is pretty good too. On board bar has to be my highlight.

Unless it's F/Kosmo Suite I can't justify the cost. F/sleeper in A330 is pretty much the same as J prestige sleeper seats or maybe worse... :/.

In terms of the F lounge at ICN, i didn't feel it was much better than the J lounge. Yes, it was less crowded, but food and facility was the same as the J lounge. They do give you a luggage engraved with your name at the F lounge.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 7:48 pm

Recently I have flown on a number of KE J segments.

Coming from airlines like CX and SQ who have 1-2-1 in J, it was a distinctly less impressive experience having a seat neighbour in close proximity.

As I have stated previously, J would be fine if travelling with someone else, but I would strongly recommend F if travelling alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.