Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Pre-Check When Flying KE?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

TSA Pre-Check When Flying KE?

If one has a known traveler number (KTN), and KE has no provision for entering the number into one's profile, is it still possible to get Pre-Check when flying KE? I expect to be flying LAX <--> ICN.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I think you know the answer.

Nope.

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/airlines-airports Only eligible on participating airlines.

Addition: you might be lucky and be randomly selected for it. Not sure if TSA does that for non participating airlines as the rules are not disclosed.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Figured as much, but thanks for confirming.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:41 pm

Korean Air has just been announced as joining TSA Pre-Check. I don't, however, see a way to add my trusted traveler number to my reservation details or profile on KoreanAir.com. Anyone know the secret?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It probably won't be live for a bit. Their computer systems will need to updates & employees training to handle this to avoid problems when GE members show up waiving their cards at Check-in.

Give it a few weeks and should see more info and/or actual movement on it.

When is your flight?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:43 pm

My flight is this week. No worries, though. I can wait a bit longer in the regular line, if need be. . .
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cnicklo
Korean Air has just been announced as joining TSA Pre-Check. I don't, however, see a way to add my trusted traveler number to my reservation details or profile on KoreanAir.com. Anyone know the secret?
I chatted with one of their reps out of curiosity. The rep stated you can call them and have the KTN added, but would not say for sure it would actually have any effect. Recent experience with KE reps (mainly over the phone) has been very discouraging, but I don't know where this rep I was chatting with was located.

The rep was copying and pasting boilerplate in response to my questions, "get to the airport 5 hours early, new TSA rules..." that kind of thing. Specific questions, like, "even if I check in via CAT in Gangnam, 5 hours early?" only got more boilerplate.

If I really wanted to know I'd call during business hours and request escalation. The only seemingly-knowledgeable person I spoke with, the last time I had something to call them regarding, came on the line after a long, fruitless conversation with a front-line rep. I requested escalation and got a helpful person.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:04 am

Bear in mind that GE won't help you when flying ex-ICN.

Hong Kong suspended in-town check-in for all US-bound flights, presumably in response to the additional security measures. I wonder whether Korea might soon be doing the same.

Did other airlines also join PreCheck alongside KE? I wonder whether it might finally get a PreCheck line added at LAX TBIT...
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stargold
Bear in mind that GE won't help you when flying ex-ICN.

Hong Kong suspended in-town check-in for all US-bound flights, presumably in response to the additional security measures. I wonder whether Korea might soon be doing the same.

Did other airlines also join PreCheck alongside KE? I wonder whether it might finally get a PreCheck line added at LAX TBIT...
The article cited in another thread mentioned "All Nippon Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, Contour Aviation, Finnair and Korean Air."

KE responded to an email inquiry regarding this, stating:

Originally Posted by Korean Air
For now, there's two ways to add your KTN (Known Traveler Number):
1. You can contact Korean Air reservation center to input your KTN to
your reservation.
2. You can show your KTN at the Korean Air Check-in Counter, when you
depart from LAX.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
The article cited in another thread mentioned "All Nippon Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, Contour Aviation, Finnair and Korean Air."

KE responded to an email inquiry regarding this, stating:
Cool, thanks for asking about it! I'll probably send them an email and bring my GE card to give to the agent at checkin as well. My flight with them isn't until late November anyway.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:49 pm

With NH, KE and CX, maybe they will finally add PreCheck at TBIT.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stargold
With NH, KE and CX, maybe they will finally add PreCheck at TBIT.
I had seen a different thread which mentioned a work-around, but I have to wonder, is it too much to expect?

Regarding KE, I have been going back and forth with them by email regarding the new TSA rules, Pre-Check, etc. Whomever is responding seems to have a flair for elliptical answers, but it seems to be the case that check-in at City Air Terminal and Seoul Station will continue as before; they advise it should be sufficient to ckeck in at CAT and Seoul Station 3.5 hours before departure; KE has obtained permission from the TSA to delay implementation of the new screening rules; they stated twice "We only urge you to arrive early at the airport because you may be required to go though additional security screenings when boarding the flight." Whatever that means.

Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:24 am

I was able to call KE yesterday and add my KTN # to my existing itinerary for next month.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Korean air now has separate fields in their system for passport number and KTN. Just a data point, earlier this year I had used their Web site "Voice of Customer" form to contact them and request that my KTN be added to my reservation, and was assured that it had been added. At this time there were not separate fields in their system, so they had my KTN in the passport number field. Last week I logged in to make sure everything was as expected, and noticed the new KTN field, but of the two itineraries I have in their system, only one had the KTN added. So if you're flying on KE in the near future and want your Pre-Check, it might be wise to log in and have a look.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.