Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Food on Korean Air US-Korea-Vietnam

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

I just got our seat confirmations for Oct 2014 DFW-ICN-Hanoi, HCMC-ICN-DFW.

I will be flying in Economy, my parents in Business. What is the food like on board? I enjoy most asian food (that is, the asian food made in the US, never had the real stuff- soon!!), so I feel like I will be ok (maybe not?)

Mom and Dad are pickier eaters due to Mom not able to eat gluten (yes, Celiac's not just a fad diet) or peppers, and Dad is unable to eat beef.

Will they be ok? None of us have traveled on KA before (and for a family of travelers this is rare!) Or should they pack a lot of snacks?

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
They serve two categories of dishes: the korean dish; and the american type dish. For the american dishes you usually have a choice of fish or chicken, or beef. The korean dish is the bibimap. You should know already whether you like it because it is distinctive. If you have to ask then you probably wont like it. The american dishes are ususally meat with a side of pasta or mashed potatoe. Business class service is considerably better and you can always request special dishes ahead of time. In business class they will pretty much try to get you anything you request (ramen, bread, etc...) For economy I would say the food is not really that good and you should bring snacks. Here is a good link that shows the offerings in Business class: http://www.lifeaccordingtokai.com/20...york-to-seoul/

Last edited by smith80678; Jul 24, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much!!

I guess if my meal is horrible I'll just have my mom request some extra bread that I can steal! Haha
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:20 pm

U can order special meals.
https://www.koreanair.com/local/na/g...g_cs_sn_sm.jsp

Gluten Intolerant Meal
A medical meal without wheat, barley, rye, or oats containing gluten

On the longer flights, they leave snacks out and u can always request for the snacks too.
Peanuts, ramen, chips and other stuff.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Very cool, Hawaii! Dad's a diabetic too, so this will be great!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Order the special meal for your gluten allergic parents. and diabetic. BUT for normal food, you will get: bibimbap, pasta, chicken or fish with chinese noodles and bulgogi aka korean beef. It will not vary much DFW-ICN or ICN-HAN. You'll eat the same six meal options on all flights. If you take an overnight from HAN to ICN, you might get rice porridge.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
The food is not bad. It's actually way more edible than anything I've had on Delta to the US from ICN. BUT it will be the same general options.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: KE/OZ/QF/VA
I find food on KE alot better than most American and Australian airlines i have been on. Bibimap has become a Korean representative dish on both KE and OZ and if you haven't tried it before you should definitely try it on your next trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.