Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is second ATL-ICN flight seasonal?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Is second ATL-ICN flight seasonal?

I noticed that until the end of March there is a 3x weekly flight ATL-ICN leaving early in the AM (KE34). It goes away completely at the end of March. Is this a seasonal flight that should return at some point? The timing of that is a lot nicer than the daily 12:15PM departure.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
From what I read on airlineroute.net, it's completely cancelled. I imagine this has to do with the extra A380 capacity.

Just curious...What don't you like about the day flight? I think it's excellent for jet lag. By the time I make it home from the airport, it's dinner time and I only have to stay awake for just a few hours..and then I get a real night's sleep on Seoul time.

I can't imagine getting a crappy sleep on the overnight flight, only to land at 6 AM and have to stay awake the entire day.

What's really rough is the day flight back to the US. Last year, I had a horrible time staying awake from 10 AM Atlanta time until bed. My body was awake and slogging through for about 30 hours Korea time.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
From what I read on airlineroute.net, it's completely cancelled. I imagine this has to do with the extra A380 capacity.

Just curious...What don't you like about the day flight? I think it's excellent for jet lag. By the time I make it home from the airport, it's dinner time and I only have to stay awake for just a few hours..and then I get a real night's sleep on Seoul time.

I can't imagine getting a crappy sleep on the overnight flight, only to land at 6 AM and have to stay awake the entire day.

What's really rough is the day flight back to the US. Last year, I had a horrible time staying awake from 10 AM Atlanta time until bed. My body was awake and slogging through for about 30 hours Korea time.
Booo. Always hate to lose options, especially non-DL options in Atlanta.

I am looking at going to Kuala Lumpur. The daytime ATL-ICN flight gets in about an hour after the once daily KE flight to KUL leaves. So I would have to spend a day in Seoul. Yes, I would have a long layover on the overnight flight but it would be less and not overnight. Without that overnight flight, my best options are either a double connection or a day in Seoul.

I agree that I would rather have a flight that got into ATL in the evening vs the AM. I struggle more with jetlag on the way back. On the way there, that first day I am full of adrenaline and by the end of the day am ready to crash. At the end of a trip I am already tired so having to stay up a whole day on the return is tough. The absolute worst for me is DEL-ATL via EWR on CO/UA. Leave DEL just after midnight, back in EWR at 4AM.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Won't KE put you up in the Hyatt? Also, they code share with MH...does that come up as an option?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
KE cut the service since they start a new route ICN-IAH
Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by poohhead80
KE cut the service since they start a new route ICN-IAH
They routinely adjust service on ATL-ICN. I don't see any connection to the launch of IAH service.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Originally Posted by mtkeller
They routinely adjust service on ATL-ICN. I don't see any connection to the launch of IAH service.
According to my friend who is working for KE.

KE reduced ICN-DFW and cut 3 or 4 times weekly night flight ICN-ATL which makes sense to save operating cost.

I regularly have flown this route for 9 years. KE changed the service when DL had nonstop service on this route (later DL moved to ICN-DTW and now they started ICN-SEA, they had ICN-PDX a long time ago).

Forgot to mention, for ICN-ATL route they are switching aircrafts B747 B777 A380. Based on what I was told, KE will not go with B777 - no more A380.
Arriving ATL in A380 is terrible. A380 can not park at terminal F. It has to go to terminal E and people have to walk 20 minutes to go through immigration (15 minutes more when you see the immigration officers over the glass window.) Departing is ok. You need to take a train from international terminal or take a train to E terminal when you are connecting from other cities.

Last edited by poohhead80; Mar 26, 2014 at 4:53 am
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:12 am

Programs: OZ, KE, BX, 7C
korean-air-welcomes-ninth-a380/

From July 6th, airbus 380-800 operates 3 weekly on ATL-ICN for Sun, Wed, & Fri.

4 weekly remains with boeing 777-300.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.