Wiki Posts
Search

ICN vs GIMPO

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:59 am
Original Poster

ICN vs GIMPO

OMG i had no idea the Korean Air reservation agent booked me
from flying into ICN 5am then a 3 hour layover then leaving out of Gimpo at 8am to my final destination. Mother effer, I wish the agent would have told me so I didn't assume it was a completely different airport.
So help me FlyerTalk...what's the most efficient way and fastest way?
How much is it?
I can't believe KAL doesn't provide transfers by including it int the ticket.
I see two options on their website Korail and KAL Limo. Are these my two options? How far in advance do I book these? Thanks a million Flyertalk members.
This is supposed to be a honeymoon which implies relaxation I'm already stressed out trying to figure out the logistics.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 3:36 pm

There is an excellent train system between ICN and Gimpo. Starts running at about 6am. Very fast. At that time in the morning, the train leaving ICN will be empty so no worries about space for luggage.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
hard to believe a booking agent wouldn't tell you this.

nonetheless, relax. just get on the train. from memory, it's about a 30 minute trip and about W3000-4000 for the fare
Old Oct 13, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Sol95 is right. It will be easy.

The airport express train (AREX) commuter line is one option. Fast and inexpensive. Downside is that you will have to do some walking to get to/from the train platform, both at ICN and also at GMP. If you have lots of luggage, this becomes a bit of a pain.

I think the easiest way is to take one of the Limo bus.Link here. It will take you directly to the departure terminal. You just pay for the ticket and relax on the bus. Might even be able to see a bit of Seoul on the way there. The only difference between the standard and deluxe bus is that the standard has a 2-2 seat arrangement and the deluxe has a 2-1 seat arrangement. Deluxe is pretty darn nice for a bus! If it is your honeymoon, I would spend the extra $2 per person for the deluxe. But if time is a factor, just take the next one available.

No need to book the bus in advance. Maybe just have some Korean Won cash available to pay for the ticket.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Just take the limo bus. It's fast, simple and frequent. They are comfortable and there's a place for your luggage. You don't need to buy a ticket in advance. Bus comes every 20 minutes and takes about 20-30 minutes at that time (no traffic).

Much easier than up and down escalators/elevators with bags. Also, it's a five minute or more walk from the Gimpo train station into the airport. Long tunnel!

The bus is 7,000 won per person. You can use your check card to buy a ticket. After you come out onto the arrivals hall, ask the information desk where the Gimpo bus is. According to the ICN website, you go to door 3 or door 10. It's very simply laid out. After you get your bags, you'll come out onto the arrivals floor and see that all the doors out have numbers. Hence Door 3 and Door 10. Depending on what door you come out of at baggage claim, you'll be close to either one or the other.

http://www.airport.kr/airport/traffi...ist.iia?flag=E

You will see a bus ticket window when you go outside and you pay for your ticket there.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone.
Yes the AGENT did not tell me. He repeatedly said Seoul instead of saying the airport code. Gimpo would have stood out for sure.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
After you come out onto the arrivals hall, ask the information desk where the Gimpo bus is.
Be sure you specify Gimpo AIRPORT, not just Gimpo. Gimpo is a city where the airport is located, and there are buses that service that city, but I don't know if they stop at the airport or not, nor if they do if they go directly to the airport first.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:10 am
Original Poster

good point A_Lee. Thank you!!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Any new updates on the ICN-GMP transfer? Are the buses still available and easy to utilize?

Considering doing LAX-ICN-GMP-HND instead of LAX-ICN-NRT to avoid a 5-hr layover at ICN and to have an easier time going into town from HND.

Is it true that if the entire itinerary is on one ticket (KE) I still have to haul my check-in luggage from ICN to GMP?

Last edited by LAX/HKG; Jul 16, 2017 at 7:18 pm Reason: more info
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:45 am

Busses are still easiest. Very easy to find, use etc. You will be entering Korea when you go on the bus, so yes you need to clear customs and take your baggage with you.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Productivity
Busses are still easiest. Very easy to find, use etc. You will be entering Korea when you go on the bus, so yes you need to clear customs and take your baggage with you.
This makes sense.

I always wondered about the other way around. If I buy a connecting flight from Busan (for example) to GMP, and have to transfer to ICN on the same ticket, are the bags transfered? Also, KE "minimum connection" for GMP to ICN is 2 hours. Very short, no?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:20 am

They can and will check it onwards - it often goes on the same bus as you, I've seen my bags get loaded into the same bus I've on many times. You will see someone at the baggage carousel sitting watching for tagged bags.

Practically, they will also do this if it's not on the same ticket - they are very cooperative and helpful. They'll also print your boarding passes at PUS/wherever you are as well even if not on the same ticket. You can also buy the bus tickets at GMP/other Korean airports. If you get a jet bridge, from stepping off the plane if your timing is good you can be on the road in <5 minutes.

Two hours is tightish but I've done it many times. In fact I've done it the other way around including clearing immigration, customs and made it without a problem. I'd book more if you don't know your way around it, but I wouldn't be *that* worried. There are so many flights between PUS and GMP that you should be able to get an earlier one unless you are going for a early flight out of ICN. In which case you should enjoy the Grand Hyatt, it's very nice.

Last edited by Productivity; Jul 17, 2017 at 7:27 am
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:06 am

I believe the minimum connection time is 150 minutes. And yes, as the other posters said, there are tons of GMP PUS flights.

You could also look at just KTX from Seoul Station or Incheon Airport if your timing is right. If you go to Seoul Station, that's around 50 mins to 1 hr by train. Then there are KTX trains every 20 mins to Busan that take around 2.5 hrs. Also, Busan Station is about 40 minutes closer to town by public transit than the airport.

BUT you will have to carry bags.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:07 am

I misread. That 150 mins is ICN to GMP. Not the the other way around. Gimpo is a very easy airport to get in and out of.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: Skyteam
According to Google, you may be able to run there in 3 hours!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.