ICN-IAD

Old Jan 3, 2013, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
ICN-IAD

I am flying to DC next month in Economy. Does anybody know what the IFE is like - is it AVOD? And the seat pitch? Meals? I am trying to make a choice between Korean or Cathay and can't make my mind up (I've never flown Korean in Economy before).
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
IFE will be AVOD. Seat pitch is decent at ~34". KE Economy is pretty good, though it's been a while since I've taken it.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Originally Posted by damsel
I am flying to DC next month in Economy. Does anybody know what the IFE is like - is it AVOD? And the seat pitch? Meals? I am trying to make a choice between Korean or Cathay and can't make my mind up (I've never flown Korean in Economy before).
I have flown this route in economy about 5 times. The meals are pretty good. They give you a choice of Korean fair or a western type meal. Beverages are pretty expansive with choices from beer to wine. Several snacks are offered. FAs are very attentive, even offering to help you fill out your Customs form.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks guys. I'm convinced - I booked on Korean rather than CX.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:31 pm
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat
I flew this route last month in economy. Their seat pitch is great for coach (and I'm 6'1"). I didn't get the western meal, but they serve bibimbap for the Korean choice.

They only came around with a full beverage service before the first meal with all options (soda, wine, beer, spirits), after that it was mainly juice and water. However, feel free to ring the call button anytime and the FAs will be happy to bring you whatever soda or alcoholic beverage you want.

KE's AVOD will give you plenty of entertainment options, and there is a USB charger at every seat. You can check out their IFE magazine online: http://beyond.koreanair.com. I think their IFE magazine also specifies the meal and beverage service times for flights.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Also, if you go to the Korean Air website (ON BOARD tab), it will even tell you what type of seat you will have under FLIGHT SCHEDULE WITH NEW AIRCRAFT (both econ seats have AVOD, one just has a newer one and a USB power port) and you can also see what upcoming movies will be playing under ENTERTAINMENT.

KE has completely and utterly spoiled me. I fly the ICN-ATL route once a year and for all of my vacation trips around Asia throughout the year. Well worth any extra bucks.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Economy Class – New Economy

Experience the new seats designed to provide more space.

ZOOM 1 - Ergonomically designed slim seat

The ergonomically designed slim seat with a sliding seat cushion offers more room for a comfortable flight. The 18ins wide seat and 34ins space between seats in addition to 121-degree reclining back support offers exceptional comfort and experience unlike any other economy-class seats.

ZOOM 2 - A screen just for you

10.6-inch high resolution LCD wide screen and state-of-the-art AVOD (Audio & Video on Demand) system are available for all seats allowing you to select any channel at any time. Various menus and carefully selected programs ensure an enjoyable flight.

ZOOM 3 - Various convenient systems installed in each seat

The AVOD remote controller is located in the front for your convenience and each seat has a USB port so you can recharge your electronic devices such as camera and PDA. In addition, there are hangers provided for each seat so you may hang your jacket.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Questions: (1) what type of aircraft is used on the IAD-ICN route? (2) what are the loads like in the J and Y cabins?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:42 pm

Per their website, it appears they fly the older seat style on both routes. According to FlightAware, it's a 777-200. The pitch is 34" for all econ seats (rarely you get a 32 or 33" in certain weird sections of the cabin), which is most likely the most generous of any airline flying TPAC. It is certainly more than DL's E+, for instance. You can go to the website like I mentioned and plug in your dates to find out exactly what they will offer as far as the seat (On Board -- Flight Schedule with New Aircraft) and movies (On Board -- Entertainment). With regards to movies, they offer way more than they list, obviously.

http://www.koreanair.com/local/kr/gd...if_cs_ec.jsp#2

Presuming you have the "old" seat, you will have AVOD I. It just means the OS is a little older, the screen is negligibly smaller and you don't have a camera on the tail/nose. It is not that big of a deal between this and a "new" seat.

The only downside is that you will NOT have a USB port at your seat to charge anything. Otherwise, the pitch and comfort of the seat are the exact same between old and new.

With regards to service, for IAD-ICN (just like ATL/JFK-ICN), they will do a drink and peanuts after takeoff in the first hour or so. In the next hour or so, they will do a lunch, presumably offering bibimbap. Go for it, it's good. Don't skimp on the sesame oil or red pepper paste. After lunch, they will close all the shades and turn off all the lights for the next six hours or so. In that time, they'll offer you a snack (hot curry bun? seaweed and rice triangle?). Then, after those six hours, they will feed you a dinner. Then back into darkness for the last of the flight. Perfect for sleep. If at any time you are hungry, they have snacks in the galley. They also walk the aisles with juices and water.

I do the ATL-ICN RT run once a year to visit the States and it is the same for those flights.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Only one point to quibble over: DL's Economy Comfort seats have 35" of pitch.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Per their website, it appears they fly the older seat style on both routes. According to FlightAware, it's a 777-200.
On IAD-ICN? I'm seeing 777-200 with Prestige Sleeper and New Economy based on both ExpertFlyer seat maps and the KE website for a random sampling of dates in March/April/May.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:25 am

Ah I just literally went to the website with no dates. It pulled up one day in March automatically and gave me old school seats.

FT fail? Sure, but I needed dates! One can only do so much.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:26 am

Do they really have 35? I have been sweating pushing my job for DL #s on KE for the seat pitch and service.....versus paying out of pocket for E+ and a one stop in DTW. Sometimes I have dreams about it kkk!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.