Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Emirates Partner redemption/ One-Way?

Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:57 am
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

So I'm planning a redemption DXB-SEZ in J on EK using Skypass miles (through Chase). I was hoping they allow OW on partners too, don't they?

I played some HUACA today and first agent dropped the line as I mentioned 240k miles is too much (she calculated on Skyteam but no Skyteam airline goes to SEZ!) and pressed that Emirates is a partner. Second agent put me on hold to search the KE website himself to find out IF Emirates is a partner (he had never heard about that airline before) and I gave up after 20 minutes..

Any experiences here?

Any other way to book at saver level Emirates OW (Skywards does not allow it)?

Last edited by MightyTravels; Dec 29, 2012 at 4:28 am
Old Dec 29, 2012, 4:07 pm

I don't think one-way partner award is possible with KE miles, although website doesn't mention specifically. I might be wrong, so you need to call and check. It seems DXB-SEZ in J, roundtrip, is 70k.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 2:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

According to the KE website:

" - Airline Partners awards are valid only for round-trip."

http://www.koreanair.com/local/na/gd...g_sp_rm_pa.jsp

Look under Tips for Partner Award Travel's Application.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 5:56 am
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

Oh ok - thank you!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

User partner miles on Emirates?

I recently come across this thread under Emirates forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emira...gravating.html

I'm not clear which Emirates Saver or Flex award seats for First Class can Korean Air access to. It looks like Emirates has merged both Saver and Flex seats to the Z fare bucket. Flex awards used to be from A bucket and Saver awards is from Z bucket.

Has anyone booked on Emirates First Class using Korean Air Skypass miles and if you did, do you know what fare class (Z or A) did you get booked at? I assume Korean Air can still access Emirates First Class awards seat from Z bucket which is the Saver Award.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by highman123
Oh ok - thank you!
What's relevant to you is:
https://www.koreanair.com/local/na/g...e Award Travel

A return trip DXB-SEZ would set you back 70k Skymiles. Not sure if this is good value or good use of miles but J fares are around 2300USD.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:55 pm
Used to be highman123
Original Poster

Not a good value indeed. I think I'll try Etihad via Air Berlin Topbonus which is 20k miles OW in Y no YQ. It's only 2.5c/mile but it's hard to use those miles otherwise.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:00 pm

The agent I talked to today implied that one way redemptions on Emirates were possible, although I didn't press it because I was looking for a round trip. (But then again, he completely miscalculated the required mileage, so maybe not the most reliable source.)

Incidentally, can anyone else confirm that economy tickets are only available in the N bucket (Economy Saver)? I was expecting redemptions to be made from the X bucket, which ExpertFlyer indicates is the Economy Partner Award bucket (and has better availability for the flights I was looking at). If X isn't used for redemptions from Skywards, what is used for?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 4:02 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Did anyone ever solve one way partner awards on EK?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Did anyone ever solve one way partner awards on EK?
I don't think so, AFAIK T&C says that only round trips are possible.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
does KE allow you to fly one partner on the outbound and a different one on the inbound?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ekartash
does KE allow you to fly one partner on the outbound and a different one on the inbound?
I'm not sure why others are quoting 70k, it appears to me that the table clearly says 35k for round trip. https://www.koreanair.com/local/na/g...pa03.jsp#Other Airline Award Travel

Unfortunately, I'm not able to find RT for either Etihad or Emirates. It does appear I can find either in each direction, but the agent claims you cannot mix "other" partners because of the way Korean pays them. Who knows, but an agent was able to put a one-way on hold ("confirmed", but not ticketed for SEZ-DXB). Since I don't actually want to book a one-way for 35k, we may never know for sure.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
More information:

KoreanAir Agent claims that they can only book "N" bucket seats.

EF shows for Emirates (EK) the following description:
"X" bucket as "Economy - Partner Award"
"N" bucket as "Economy - Saver Award"

While I cannot access a description of Etihad (EY) buckets, the Etihad website will return four descriptions:
* Guest Economy
* Economy Saver
* Economy Value
* Economy Freedom

Elsewhere, I've read that "Guest Economy" indicates it's bookable by partner. HOWEVER, KoreanAir agent claims no availability on 1/1-1/7 for AUH-SEZ even when I see 5 seats in "Guest Economy" (EY). Perhaps HUCA, but he was able to see later availability in "N" on EK. This *IS* bookable on AA, but at 30/45k (OW), I'd much prefer 35/70k KE (RT) miles if that's all it costs. Note that AA agent also claims it was "N" fare bucket that she booked out of.

Last edited by eddieflyer; Oct 6, 2013 at 9:12 am
Old Oct 9, 2013, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by eddieflyer
Elsewhere, I've read that "Guest Economy" indicates it's bookable by partner. HOWEVER, KoreanAir agent claims no availability on 1/1-1/7 for AUH-SEZ even when I see 5 seats in "Guest Economy" (EY). Perhaps HUCA, but he was able to see later availability in "N" on EK. This *IS* bookable on AA, but at 30/45k (OW), I'd much prefer 35/70k KE (RT) miles if that's all it costs. Note that AA agent also claims it was "N" fare bucket that she booked out of.
See the other thread about redemptions on Etihad.

Completely unrelated, but regarding redemptions on Emirates, be aware that Economy class tickets booked on Korean Air stock will prevent you from using their coach bus service (between Dubai and Abu Dhabi/Al Ain). Two different agents confirmed this to me. Bizarre.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Does anyone have any success booking Emirates' F or J class and what fare code does KE use to book? "Z" for F and "D" for J? Are there any fuel surcharges? If it does, how much is it between LAX-DXB?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.