Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles on Korean Air (upgrade)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Skymiles on Korean Air (upgrade)

Is it possible to use Delta miles to upgrade tickets booked on a Korean Air flight?

Thats about it. Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:28 pm

I'm not sure about the upgrade with DL miles, but keep in mind KE requires upgradable fares to upgrade with KE miles which costs about 1.5 times the discount economy.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:25 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
The only way to use SkyMiles to upgrade KE flights is through the SkyTeam upgrade program. This requires the purchase of a Y fare, perhaps even "full Y", as in the most expensive of all the published Y fares.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For KE flights, the SkyTeam upgrade program with DL miles requires really full Y. It also cannot be done during the blackout periods as this is called an award.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Skyteam upgrades are useless. You can usually find discount I class tickets for less than full Y tickets.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:07 am

How do u search for these discount I tickets?

Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: DELTA, HYATT
I was looking at trying to do this as well... DXB-ICN-SYD. Korean Air website quotes a full Y ticket (booking code YKE or something like that) at fairly reasonable for that route.

Anyone know how many SkyMiles it takes for the upgrade through SkyTeam? What booking code would I be looking for on Expert Flyer for availability?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: DELTA, HYATT
Follow up from my experience. This takes a few days for the ticket to re-issue so be sure to do it as far in advance as possible:
1.) Look for your flight that you want to book on KE and price it out on their website. Write down the fare basis code.
**Be sure to check that your dates of travel don't fall in KE's blackout dates**

2.) Call Delta and ask for the SkyTeam upgrade desk --the res agent I worked with made it sound like it was another desk like say the "International Re-ticketing Desk"

3.) The Delta ST Upgrade Desk will provide you with six or eight fare basis codes... make sure the fare basis code that you got from KE matches one of those they gave you.

4.) Book your ticket on KE. (Again make sure your dates aren't in KE's blackout dates)

5.) Call back the Delta ST Upgrade desk and ask to upgrade your ticket. If they run some stuff passed you that only KE can "endorse" the ticket (i.e. release it) , that isn't true. Delta actually has to call or work with KE to get KE to un-endorse the ticket so Delta can upgrade it. The first agent I spoke with on the ST Upgrade Desk couldn't do it but the second one did it in about 5 minutes. It sounds like Delta has to take your flight information down and pass it to KE in order to upgrade it.

6.) A few days later, you'll get an email from Delta in a standard reservations format email but with your KE flight and upgrades confirmed into Z. My upgrades cost 30k miles from DXB to ICN and 40k miles from ICN to SYD. I didn't see a cost chart anywhere though.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, National Exec Elite
Possible to use miles to upgrade from J to F? I'm guessing not. Anyone give it a shot?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by GeneralQuarters
I didn't see a cost chart anywhere though.
This appears to be an award chart but not certain:

http://www.koreanair.com/local/kr/gd...sp_rm_pa04.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.