Wiki Posts
Search

Op Ups (Or, Dreaming the Dream)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Op Ups (Or, Dreaming the Dream)

Flying back to the US next month to visit the fam/friends. I'm still dreaming the impossible dream and am hoping for an op up.

Logically, the only way to really get this is to voluntarily bump myself, correct? That being said, does Korean Air oversell their flights like that?

I just keep telling myself "one day." Maybe this will be the day haha.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:38 am
Original Poster

It should be noted that I'm flying to ATL. Last year, when I came to Korea, it was in August and the 747 was to the brim in econ.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:53 am

Programs: KE MC
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
That being said, does Korean Air oversell their flights like that?
Yes, I've had friends and family members go from economy to business on TPACs due to oversold economy at the gate. Usually they were traveling solo, wore appropriate attire (business casual), and had status with KE.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by choijw
Yes, I've had friends and family members go from economy to business on TPACs due to oversold economy at the gate. Usually they were traveling solo, wore appropriate attire (business casual), and had status with KE.
I've had it a couple of times on BKK-ICN but never transpac, Y to J once and J to F once (though in that case, it was F seats by J service). This was as a PM and DM on Delta, SkyTeam Elite Plus, with no status on KE. The J to F was even an award ticket.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Sadly, I have no status. I was SO CLOSE last year to being Delta Silver (which isn't much, but for someone who doesn't fly often, it was still close). Presuming I'm dressed properly and am polite, is this something I can ask for when checking in?

To the tune of:

"Is this flight very full? I'd be happy to volunteer my seat if I could fly out later today in Prestige/First class."

Or is that too forward? Or do I wait until I'm at the gate and they actually make the call?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Sadly, I have no status. I was SO CLOSE last year to being Delta Silver (which isn't much, but for someone who doesn't fly often, it was still close). Presuming I'm dressed properly and am polite, is this something I can ask for when checking in?

To the tune of:

"Is this flight very full? I'd be happy to volunteer my seat if I could fly out later today in Prestige/First class."

Or is that too forward? Or do I wait until I'm at the gate and they actually make the call?
There's no harm in offering. I'd start at checkin. You could ask if it's a full flight. If they say it is, you could offer to take a later one in a higher class. If not full, let it go.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Isn't there a site I can use to check seat inventory before I depart?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Also, if you op up, do you still get to collect miles based on the actual fare you paid? That seems excessive, if so haha. Like you can only have one, not both, would be the most logical.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:46 am

Also, if you op up, do you still get to collect miles based on the actual fare you paid? That seems excessive, if so haha. Like you can only have one, not both, would be the most logical.
You should still get miles for the fare class you purchased, though your BP will get you regular lounge access and, in places where invitations are done, they'll typically give you an invitation. The only hangup with that happens when you don't clear the op-up until the gate, when it's too late to use the lounge. I've been op-up'ed at checkin, the two times it happened.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Most airlines give miles based on the fare you paid even when you use miles or SWUs to upgrade, so I certainly wouldn't expect extra miles for an OPUP.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I definitely wasn't expecting Business Class bonuses on miles, but I'm surprised I may even get something (if it ever happens). Fingers crossed!

Now, what's that website for seat inventory ㅋㅋㅋㅋ?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks to my bored Sunday, I just checked on koreanair.com for my flight. If I were to buy that flight today from their website, I'd go on a wait list. I can safely presume that this flight is slam full (the 6 PM night flight is wait list, too)?

Prestige has 9 seats, First has 3....
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Sorry, last question for now. What is their standard TPAC VDB compensation, anyway?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: I'll take whatever points I can get...
So how did it turn out? Any OPUP?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:09 am
Original Poster

No op up! I asked at the gate and she was kind of confused by my question. I rephrased it and she finally understood.

She was SHOCKED at "how nice it was of me to offer my seat and do that" but that "they didn't need to do it that day."

Flight was still slam full. ICN-ATL/ATL-ICN route always is!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.