Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 Power and Headphone Jacks?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

A380 Power and Headphone Jacks?

Flying on the A380 from LA to Seoul soon. Looked through but couldn't find the answer, although seatguru does indicate all seats have power. My two questions:

1. Do all coach seats have AC power for laptops?
2. Are the headphone jack inputs normal size or do I need a special adapter?

Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta
If you look on Korean's website you'll see fairly detailed info on this. Each coach seat has power, but you have to remove battery.. no charging allowed. There is also a USB charging port for small electronics.

As for headphones, it's the standard mini plug. I don't remember having to use a two prong adapter, but this is pretty much the same for "all flights" from LAX to ICN that all have the same economy seat package as used in the 380.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by cruise2006
If you look on Korean's website you'll see fairly detailed info on this. Each coach seat has power, but you have to remove battery.. no charging allowed. There is also a USB charging port for small electronics.

As for headphones, it's the standard mini plug. I don't remember having to use a two prong adapter, but this is pretty much the same for "all flights" from LAX to ICN that all have the same economy seat package as used in the 380.
can i ask why you have to remove the battery to not allow charging?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by jaesun
can i ask why you have to remove the battery to not allow charging?
This is to keep down the power load for the entire ship... you are able to charge USB charging cell phones, etc. Not sure how exacting they actually enforce this rule. But since you can just stay connected not sure that it is a real problem to comply either.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:45 am

This is to keep down the power load for the entire ship... you are able to charge USB charging cell phones, etc. Not sure how exacting they actually enforce this rule. But since you can just stay connected not sure that it is a real problem to comply either.
I guess I am no electronics engineer, but wouldn't that be the same without the battery? you are still drawing power? /shrug
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by jaesun
I guess I am no electronics engineer, but wouldn't that be the same without the battery? you are still drawing power? /shrug
Most laptops draw more power when you plug them in to use them with the battery less than fully charged. There are a number of aircraft where it's known that many laptops cannot be used in flight with their batteries in because they draw too much power and blow a breaker when simultaneously charging and allowing the laptop to operate.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:22 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by crazygrow
Flying on the A380 from LA to Seoul soon. Looked through but couldn't find the answer, although seatguru does indicate all seats have power. My two questions:

1. Do all coach seats have AC power for laptops?
2. Are the headphone jack inputs normal size or do I need a special adapter?

Thanks!
Yes to both questions.

Enjoy Korean's A380, it's an awesome plane to fly on.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:23 am

Interesting. I leave my cell phone plugged in with the battery to the USB at all times. I don't think anyone cares.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Perhaps they enforce it by having the a shut-off switch if too much power is being drawn?

This might explain why I could not get power to my laptop on my A380 flight a few weeks ago.

Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
Interesting. I leave my cell phone plugged in with the battery to the USB at all times. I don't think anyone cares.
This rule is for laptops not usb charging...a much different scenario!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:59 am

This rule is for laptops not usb charging...a much different scenario!
Actually I leave my laptop plugged in with battery all the time as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.