Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Flight 34: midnight departure, service timing?

Old Apr 4, 2012, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO 1MM

Everyone,

I'll be taking flight 34, (ATL->ICN, departing just after midnight) soon and I was wondering about the timing of service in J - particularly meals but also any other items of interest. I would like to figure out a workable plan for sleep and rotating my internal clock upon landing.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: Skyteam
Big meal will be served right after takeoff.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks - what about the remainder of the flight? How long will the big meal take?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:04 pm

I wonder about this too. I am taking KE006 (LAS > ICN) which takes off at 11pm and I am wondering what meal service I will get. Is the big meal after takeoff the only major meal we get?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:10 pm

After take off, you get a full dinner when I took LAX-ICN in F.
Then before landing, you get breakfast.
In between those, I'm asleep anyway so I'm not sure, but you can probably ask for something.

On a side note, I actually prefer midnight flights out of the US on TPAC flights because I get well rested and hardly have any jet-lag.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by mainbill
After take off, you get a full dinner when I took LAX-ICN in F.
Then before landing, you get breakfast.
In between those, I'm asleep anyway so I'm not sure, but you can probably ask for something.

On a side note, I actually prefer midnight flights out of the US on TPAC flights because I get well rested and hardly have any jet-lag.
I am the opposite. I prefer the 2-4 pm flights out of the US as I tend to stay up all of the flight. I then fly into ICN around 5-7pm and then by the time I get to the place, I am ready for bed and I am out like a light. Of course, then again, if you want to get there and do stuff right away (taking midnight flight and getting there in the morning), then that wont work. hehe
Old Apr 5, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: Skyteam
You'll get big dinner, mid-flight snack, and breakfast 1 or 2 hours before landing.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 10:17 am

I've been on this flight several times, last was 3 weeks ago. Main meal starts right after after takeoff. This midnight meal is a full meal but with a few less courses than the return flight will have. There will be a fruit desert cup but no cheese/ ice cream tray.
Also, they typically only make one pass through serving alcohol. You can get all you want after the initial service but have to kind of pester them for it (and if wine, the glass they use is only slightly bigger than a thimble - I've seen one other passenger make them use the larger water glass for wine). On the return flight, they'll pass through several times to refill glasses).
Breakfast is servered way to early before arriving - interrupts sleeping. They turn on full lights and blitz the area with FA's like an invasion. They'll offer to serve your breakfast later on when you awaken.
If you are transitting through ICN, a better breakfast awaits in the Prestige lounge so I usually skip the in flight breakfast.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

We are transiting through ICN, thanks for the tip about breakfast!

Also: Welcome to Flyertalk, ukdave0!

Also: Thanks that is exactly the info I was seeking originally!

Last edited by angra; Apr 5, 2012 at 1:02 pm
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:23 pm

If you have a long enough lay-over, KE offers STPC at the Hyatt. Nice breakfast buffet and really nice Korean sauna.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

I am not sure what STPC is. I will have about a 5 hour layover before my flight to Narita.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Just got off this flight. We landed an hour early in ICN. Had to kill a few hours before the buses started at 6am. Ate some Udon noodles then proceeded to rent a couple of phones and exchange some currency. As others have shared, dinner is served shortly after take off and breakfast was served 4-5 hours before landing.

On a side note we were hungry by the time we landed in ATL, so we ate dinner at the food court. We then went into the Delta sky club. The club is large but compared to a Korean sky pass club it does offer any real meal selection. I had to debate skipping dinner and sleeping or trying the dinner on flight. I decided to eat, but it is airplane food, not bad but not great. I thought breakfast was better. Only got about 4 hours of sleep since there was a screaming baby right behind us in coach. You would think a baby could not cry for that long...man was I wrong.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Rookie10, how was the AVOD in J? Size of screen? Range of selections? Also, how did you find the seat for sleeping?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by angra
Rookie10, how was the AVOD in J? Size of screen? Range of selections? Also, how did you find the seat for sleeping?
Avod was nice it looks to be a 14 or 16 inch screen unless your in the front row (screen size looks smaller). They could use more movie titles, but personnaly I was able to find enough movies to watch. Watched Mission Impossible Ghost Recon, and 2 other movies (can't remember the exact titles). The seats were great for sleeping, not completely flat, but very close. Service was very good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.