First time with Korean Air

Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

First time with Korean Air

I've just booked a Business Class fare with Korean Air, BNE-ICN-JFY-ICN-BNE
ICN-JFY 777-300ER and JFK-ICN A380

I understand that the seats BNE-ICN-BNE will be 'Prestige Plus' and for ICN-JFK-ICN the 'Prestige Sleeper'

What can I expect in the way of lounges at each airport?

Any information much appreciated.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:31 am

Programs: DL Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by macnivison
I've just booked a Business Class fare with Korean Air, BNE-ICN-JFY-ICN-BNE
ICN-JFY 777-300ER and JFK-ICN A380

I understand that the seats BNE-ICN-BNE will be 'Prestige Plus' and for ICN-JFK-ICN the 'Prestige Sleeper'

What can I expect in the way of lounges at each airport?

Any information much appreciated.
I can't really speak to BNE but ICN has a very large and incredibly nice lounge (recently renovated). It's known for being one of the best (we often rate it here on FT as top 5 in the Sky Team). It's very large, very spacious, very comfortable, has a lot of great food, decent drink selection and space for working. Depending on where you sit in the lounge you may or may not have access to power-outlets. Some are universal and some require adapters so be prepared if you're planning to use a laptop or charge anything. If you're looking to work there are some great seats on the front 'bench' looking out the window or some quieter individual lounge style seats behind them. The round tables are a little more comfortable if you're traveling with others but don't have power outlets. There are also some great shower facilities there if you want to utilize them.

JFK has a decent lounge, but nothing spectacular. Terminal 1 is typically a quiet terminal by JFK standards (not more than a handful of flights leaving at once) so the lounge is shared by a few airlines. It's still pretty nice with a decent amount of snacks and drinks and a good working environment if you're looking for one.

I'm guessing you know a bit already about the Prestige Plus v. Prestige Sleeper seats but if not a quick overview can be found by searching the forum in the recent past. Plus is an almost-flat seat v. the obvious lie flat of the Sleeper seats. I found both very comfortable (and I'm 6'4") but obviously the Sleeper seat is a great product to fly on. There's also a nice on-going post about the A380 which I have to say is an amazing way to fly. You'll love it. Enjoy the trip.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
The newly renovated ICN lounge is quite nice. In addition to the features discussed above the showers are great and well maintained by the lounge staff. Ask for a key when you check into lounge.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:41 am

The Prestige Lounge at ICN is large and has showers.

But the food is awful.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: DL Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by HawaiiO

But the food is awful.
On what basis do you think the food is awful? It's been routinely agreed upon by many on FT that its food is well above average for any lounge. Having transited through there a few times in the past few weeks I have to say the food, as compared to many other lounges around the world, is very good. It's definitely kept to a much higher standard.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by landgraf13
On what basis do you think the food is awful? It's been routinely agreed upon by many on FT that its food is well above average for any lounge. Having transited through there a few times in the past few weeks I have to say the food, as compared to many other lounges around the world, is very good. It's definitely kept to a much higher standard.
I thought the food was "Meh". It's better than places that don't have hot food, but it was inferior to the LHR T4 ST lounge's hot food.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
I wasn't able to get into the lounge but I did use the showers, and yes they are very nice. There is also some sleeping sofas for you to take a nap. Nice massage area. The showers are free but if you want a towel, soap, toothpaste etc.. I think it is 8 U.S. dollars (Flying Economy).
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by smith80678
I wasn't able to get into the lounge but I did use the showers, and yes they are very nice. There is also some sleeping sofas for you to take a nap. Nice massage area. The showers are free but if you want a towel, soap, toothpaste etc.. I think it is 8 U.S. dollars (Flying Economy).
The showers being discussed upthread are the ones in the KE lounges, where towel and toiletries are provided (for F/J pax and SkyTeam Elite+ passengers on same-day international flights).
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by HawaiiO

But the food is awful.
Awful compared to what? The food is better than 9/10 airlines that offer food, including DL, AA, UA, US, KL, AF...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.