Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Korean Air | SkyPass
Reload this Page >

Minimum connection time in Incheon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2009, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

We are looking to book KE from JFK to DPS. The connection time in Incheon is about 45 minutes. When the reservations agent said "let me check if that is permissible" she came back and said 45 mins is the minimum connection time allowed. Both flts are on KE and we can check our bags through from JFK.

So, do we just assume this is doable? Do we have to clear any type of immigration in Incheon if we are just connecting? If its a KE to KE transfer, both int'l, does that make things quicker?

Also, the aircraft would be the new 300 ER. In terms of Y seats across the Pacific is this one of my better options nowadays? KE doesn't have premium economy, apparently. Seating is 3-3-3 in Y and we are four traveling together. Thus, we would prefer 2-2 seats but, that isn't an option on the 300 ERs.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
KE seems to like those tight connection times. A 45-minute connection should be doable, but no time for dawdling! You will have to go through a security check, but no immigration.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
I've never done a KE-to-KE connection, but have done several others, and 45 minutes would have been sufficient for all, even one where I was transferring from the concourse to main terminal via the train. However I have seen long security lines at times, but always it's been when I'm arriving, and not transferring. If you state your arrival time, it might help a bit more in people posting about their experiences at that time of day. I usually arrive in the very early morning, and around 0600ish, the place gets quite hectic, though that's on the OZ side of the terminal, so I'm not sure what the KE side is like, though presume it's probably similar.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for that helpful information.

Arrival time in Incheon is around 5 p.m. Not sure if that is "busy busy" as it would be at many US and European airports or, is Incheon more like BKK and SIN, where they don't get packed until the late evening departures really get going?

Thanks again.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 8:15 am

Programs: KE Skypass, Morning Calm
My IAD-ICN flight typically arrives 5pm-ish and the airport is bustling at that time. For the last couple of trips the connection time for my ICN-BKK flight has been 45 minutes and I've arrived at the gate just before they make the first boarding announcement.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat
I just did the JFK-ICN flight in Y two weeks ago, had a two hour connection which was not a problem...not sure I would like a 45 minute connection, but it is probably doable.

This was my first trip to Asia, so I have nothing else to compare it to, but the entertainment system in Y seemed quite good to me. 10.5" screen with probably 40-50 movies on demand, plus shorter videos, lots of music, flight map, games, etc. As far as seating, my wife and I were on our honeymoon, so we wanted a two seater as well, and they do exist in the very back of Y, rows 52 & 53 are 2-3-2 while the rest of the cabin is 3-3-3. Of course with your tight connection, you may not want to be sitting in the tail end of the plane. Hope this helps.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 6:58 pm

Programs: Skyteam
ICN 's layout is fairly convenient for connections. Just make sure to seat closer to the exit for faster deplaning. Don't forget to run like hell.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback.

Based on this info, and picking seats as far front as we can, we will make a go of it with the short connection. If we have to knock over a few people well, all is fair when in transit . . .

The return trip may well be a good opportunity for us to seek out the 2X2 seating.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 9:14 pm

I did IAD to BKK with the 45m connection time. Plane was 40 minutes late into ICN and they held the flight for the connectors.

Of course it would have been nice to hear that it was held, otherwise I wouldn't have run at full speed to get there in time
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:28 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Bumping this old thread to re-inquire on recent connection experiences.

I'm connecting KE-to-KE, BOM-ICN-SFO. I've got 85 minutes in the late afternoon (3pm-ish), arriving and departing in J.

This should be plenty of time, but have any folks done this type of connection recently and have experiences to share? How busy is ICN at this time?

And.... think I'll have time for a quick shower at the lounge? Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:10 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
I've done OZ-KE with a 50 minute window and that also included walking to the other side of the terminal. If you are doing KE-KE with 85 minutes, I wouldn't worry, except for delays departing BOM. Since you are in J, you will most likely deplane ahead of most people. I think you can make the lounge as well.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM; MR Gold
40 min connection due to schedule change

Hi - Due to a schedule change, I have a 40 minute connection time in ICN - int'l to int'l. Arriving on DL 159 / DTW at 16:25, connecting to KE 629 / DPS at 17:05. I'm in J and the flights are on the same PNR with no checked luggage. There's a KE flight out of ORD that gets into ICN at 16:20, which provides the MCT of 45 minutes, but will 5 minutes makes that much of difference? IS 40 minutes doable, given I'm in J and should be off the plane pretty quickly?

Thank you!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
I believe it is possible. Just be aware that I believe Delta arrives at the Concourse Terminal so you will have to make your way onto the underground train real quick as you deplane so that you can get to the Main Terminal to catch your next flight.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:08 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Originally Posted by waterbug111
Hi - Due to a schedule change, I have a 40 minute connection time in ICN - int'l to int'l. Arriving on DL 159 / DTW at 16:25, connecting to KE 629 / DPS at 17:05. I'm in J and the flights are on the same PNR with no checked luggage. There's a KE flight out of ORD that gets into ICN at 16:20, which provides the MCT of 45 minutes, but will 5 minutes makes that much of difference? IS 40 minutes doable, given I'm in J and should be off the plane pretty quickly?

Thank you!
Just last week I did BOM-ICN-SFO (in advance of which I'd posted up-thread). BOM-ICN was delayed, and I ended up having just about 35 minutes on the ground at ICN to get from gate 26 to gate 6. I made it in 20 minutes... super easy. Minimal wait to security in the transit area, and then easy walk to onward connecting gate.

I don't think I'd want to book a 40-minute connection in case of delays, but if that's all you've got, it's manageable.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM; MR Gold
Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
I don't think I'd want to book a 40-minute connection in case of delays....
I agree - particularly given weather in DTW in February. I may give Delta a call and see what options I have. Thanks for posting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.