Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

ATMs in Seoul

ATMs in Seoul

Old Mar 7, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond; United Platinum;
ICN ATM Is there maximum withdrawal amount?

For the ATMs at ICN, do they have a maximum amount you can withdraw at one time. EG HND 7-11 ATM has limit of 100K Yen.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:56 pm

My Chase bank wasn't able to get about $200 worth of Korean won for me on time. They will get it only when I am gone and than deposit back to my account from their exchange rate. I will lose at least $30 on this.
I will have to use ATM in Seoul. Does the ATM exchange rate is same as bank or they give you less and ATM fee is how much? Do the ATMs accept Amex? I will take my Amex bluebird or Serve prepaid card with me. Thanks for any info

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Mar 8, 2015 at 12:05 am
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
The ATMs will give you the same exchange rate as the bank, obviously. ATM fees vary, but for international cards I think it is 2,000-3,000W. As far as accepting AmEx, I'm honestly not sure. I've never noticed, but I've also never looked.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
The ATMs will give you the same exchange rate as the bank, obviously. ATM fees vary, but for international cards I think it is 2,000-3,000W. As far as accepting AmEx, I'm honestly not sure. I've never noticed, but I've also never looked.
I have US credit card that has no forex fee I can use wherever the business accepts CC & don't charge me fee. The local stores , restaurants & public transportations accept credit card without fee and no minimum requirement? Should I bring little bit of cash ($)? ATMs at Incheon?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I will have to use ATM in Seoul. Does the ATM exchange rate is same as bank or they give you less and ATM fee is how much?
I paid $US3.75 to the bank that owns one of the ATMs at the Seoul airport last year on a $112.37 withdrawal. My home bank rebates those fees so no loss to me. I use an ATM card on the PLUS network. Pretty sure the actual exchange was at bank rate as I do keep a close eye on my international ATM and credit card transactions.
ATM Surcharge Surcharge SURCHARGE AMOUNT TERMINAL 050435AT KEBCS ATM INCHEON INTE Cash & ATM 3.75
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
My Chase bank wasn't able to get about $200 worth of Korean won for me on time. They will get it only when I am gone and than deposit back to my account from their exchange rate. I will lose at least $30 on this.
I will have to use ATM in Seoul. Does the ATM exchange rate is same as bank or they give you less and ATM fee is how much? Do the ATMs accept Amex? I will take my Amex bluebird or Serve prepaid card with me. Thanks for any info
I believe Chase, like Bank of America, will charge you $5 flat fee + a 3% fee on your total withdrawn on ATM machine. So expect to pay about a $11 total fee on your $200 US worth of Korean Won.

I don't know if it is wise to use a credit card on an ATM. It would be considered as cash advance I believe. You will have to check your Amex card to see what kind of fee and interest rate they charges for cash advance.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 6:07 am

For the record: Shinhan Bank's Global ATM located on the departure level (3rd floor) at ICN did not charge any fees for withdrawals with a foreign credit card (PLUS network). Maximum amount indicated was KRW 300,000.
ATMs at the arrivals level (ground level) showed a KRW 4,000 fee for withdrawals on the last confirmation screen of the transaction (which could still be cancelled at that point).
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:34 pm

I want to confirm what geosch found. I have attached the photo of an ATM which I was able to get money fee-free. (I believe my card is in the Cirrus network). It is located in the end of the the J aisle. It is quite convenient as J is close to the escalator near the 1/F exit of immigration / custom.

(Be aware of an ATM operated by KEB on the same Departure Floor, it also want 4000 won in fees. Even offered to deduct my account in US$ with a very bad exchange rate.)

The ATMs are starts in Korean. But once you put your card in, you can choose "International". There you can choose many difference languages. There is also an ATM that seems to only offer to take money from credit card, I didn't understand it so I passed.
Attached Images  

Last edited by kash; Jan 6, 2016 at 2:45 pm
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:18 pm

Sorry for bringing up an old thread again, but based on the above two posts, there are ATM's that don't charge any fees at the airport? (besides the fees charged by my side)

Is there a way to tell if the ATM's charge a fee before I use mastercard/cirrus for cash advance? Do they usually display the fees before you confirm the transaction? Or maybe is there a bank that doesn't charge ATM fees?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:53 am

Wrong terminal!

Just wanted to share one major detail about this fee free ATM. We arrived terminal 2 and went to the third floor departures to discover the rows only go to H. We ended up just paying the ATM fee of 3,000 Won. It appears row J is only at terminal 1. We did not have the time or patience to head to terminal 1 so I cannot confirm whether or not the atm is still free.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: None
ATM use in Korea

In Korea, there's a lot of bank. The most used bank is NH bank, KB Kookmin Bank, Worri Bank, Shinhan Bank, KEB Hana Bank, Industrial Bank of Korea, Standard Chartered Bank Korea and Citi Bank. But in NH bank, they do not accept international brand in their ATM's. But all other banks above accept international brands. At least one ATM accepts international brand in each branch. So, you can just use them!!! In addition, you don't really need cash exept traditional markets because almost all stores in Korea accepts credit/debit cards
Old Oct 26, 2018, 1:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kash
I want to confirm what geosch found. I have attached the photo of an ATM which I was able to get money fee-free. (I believe my card is in the Cirrus network). It is located in the end of the the J aisle. It is quite convenient as J is close to the escalator near the 1/F exit of immigration / custom.

(Be aware of an ATM operated by KEB on the same Departure Floor, it also want 4000 won in fees. Even offered to deduct my account in US$ with a very bad exchange rate.)

The ATMs are starts in Korean. But once you put your card in, you can choose "International". There you can choose many difference languages. There is also an ATM that seems to only offer to take money from credit card, I didn't understand it so I passed.

Used this ATM on Weds (10/24) dinged me for a fee of 3600, which % wise was alot since I withdrew only 20k. good thing my bank will refund it to me. If my bank refunded promptly I wouldnt have bothered going upstairs to find it, then again I had to wait apx 1/2 an hour for the next bus anyways

FWIW its located at the far end of the J row and the aisle between J & K, so if getting off the elevator (or enetring the term) you need to head to the back wall
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I had a hard time finding a machine that would accept my Charles Schwab debit card yesterday & today. Even the machine in the Westin lobby wouldn't take it. I tried three different machines before calling Schwab. They didn't even have a record of my card attempting to be used.

Finally saw a huge Citibank building a few blocks away. It was closed on Sunday, but you could still get at the ATM machines. Success! I was here a few months ago and got cash out of a random machine at ICN, but I was in a hurry to catch the bus at ICN yesterday.

Last edited by CO-PLAT; Jun 9, 2021 at 11:27 pm
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
I had a hard time finding a machine that would accept my Charles Schwab debit card yesterday & today. Even the machine in the Westin lobby wouldn't take it. I tried three different machines before callin Schwab. They didn't even have a record of my card attempting to be used.

Finally saw a huge Citibank building a few blocks away. It was closed on Sunday, but you could still get at the ATM machines. Success! I was here a few months ago and got cash out of a random machine at ICN, but I was in a hurry to catch the bus at ICN yesterday.
Did the bank ATM have Global ATM on it? Or more easily - when you put it in, it should have an option for "Foreign Card." My Wells Fargo card has never had any problem in 8 years except, oddly, recently at a convenience store across from my house. All big banks and other places no issue.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Did the bank ATM have Global ATM on it? Or more easily - when you put it in, it should have an option for "Foreign Card." My Wells Fargo card has never had any problem in 8 years except, oddly, recently at a convenience store across from my house. All big banks and other places no issue.
The CitiBank one said "Global". The others didn't, but at least one had the option for "foreign". Went back to CitBank again today to withdraw enough cash for the balance of my time here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.