Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seoul Food - Korea

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by imm2b
pickled white root vegetable, I forgot what they called them....
Dahn moo ji
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:38 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
In San Francisco, the best Korean Fried Chicken or any fried chicken for that matter is at Shin Toe Bul Gi on Taraval St in the Sunset District. They are as authentic as they come, served without any sauce but with pickled white root vegetable, I forgot what they called them.... There's always a line there....
Basicly the same in the motherland. Sauce only on request and the pickles come free.

Myeong-dong area pojangmacha I would avoid. Higher prices than in restaurants nowadays due to the huge influx of Japanese shoppers enjoying the strong yen. The quality is reasonable but cannot justify the highway robbery prices.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
In San Francisco, the best Korean Fried Chicken or any fried chicken for that matter is at Shin Toe Bul Gi on Taraval St in the Sunset District. They are as authentic as they come, served without any sauce but with pickled white root vegetable, I forgot what they called them.... There's always a line there....
The Sunset (and Richmond) is home to some great food.

What's the cross st for Shin Toe Bul Gi?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 3:40 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dsquared37
What's the cross st for Shin Toe Bul Gi?
2001 Taraval St
(between 30th Ave & 31st Ave)
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:14 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by skchin
I recommend "Doo Ori", meaning Two Ducks, located in Gangnam, Seoul. If you tell the taxi driver the name, he'll know. It's pretty popular with the celebrities. What they cook is Korean roasted duck, cooked inside the giant clay pot dug under ground. The duck is stuffed with sweet rice, ginseng and other herbs. You can also have it roasted inside a pumpkin. I was there 3 weeks ago and I enjoyed it. I paid around $100 USD for dinner for 6.
I love duck and absolutely must have this.

I have one day in Seoul and would like to try Korean roasted duck for lunch. I can't seem to find much about this place online. I did find info about 산너머 남촌, Duck Restaurant near Sanbon Station at http://www.seoulrestaurantreviews.co...n-station.html.

It's just me and I'm staying at the Grand Hilton Seoul, but they have a shuttle into the central Seoul area. Can someone recommend a place for duck for lunch for one person?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy

I have one day in Seoul and would like to try Korean roasted duck for lunch. I can't seem to find much about this place online. I did find info about 산너머 남촌, Duck Restaurant near Sanbon Station at http://www.seoulrestaurantreviews.co...n-station.html.

It's just me and I'm staying at the Grand Hilton Seoul, but they have a shuttle into the central Seoul area. Can someone recommend a place for duck for lunch for one person?
You'll need to make reservations!

"Doo Ori"

Some pictures here... http://dongwanzzang.com/528

Map and review in Korean... http://place.daum.net/place/Top.do?confirmid=8281588
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
My favorite is GamJa Tank (감자탕) It can be hard finding places that serve single servings but near Gwangwhamun station there is a little place that serves it by the single serving. Exit number 8, do a quick u-turn when you exit, turn right and then left when you hit the T intersection, it is on the left and hits the spot for me whenever I am back in Seoul.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy

Let us know if you have it.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:38 am

Anyone have any recommendations for lobster? I've been jonesing for one ever since I left the states.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by skchin
Dahn moo ji
That's yellow. I just call it tongdak moo.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by stupidhead
That's yellow. I just call it tongdak moo.
or Dakwang
Old Nov 24, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Sadongmyenok (사동면옥), Insadong 5-gil (down the alley). Justly famous for its manduguk, a soup of gargantuan homemade dumplings stuffed with meat and veggies and served with side dishes for W5000. English menu available.

Was there last week - awesome! The location is correct on the Lonely Planet map, but the address is actually Insadong 8-gil.

If you go down the alley, can't miss it on the left as you can see them making dumplings.

Also try the dumpling stand almost right outside subway exit 5? at Namaedum Market.

Seoul Food rocked! Awesome thread, thanks for all of your contributions!

The Jongo octopus balls absolutely rocked!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by ordogg
The Jongo octopus balls absolutely rocked!
Are you refering to the crunch snack?
Old Nov 25, 2010, 7:40 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by ordogg
Sadongmyenok (사동면옥)
Also try the dumpling stand almost right outside subway exit 5? at Namaedum Market.
There are a few around there. I guess you might mean the late night one on the corner, quite an acceptable place for Korean homestyle mandu. Another window-counter only shop nearby is open only daytime and always gathers a huge crowd.

Downstairs at Shinsegae, a few hundred meters away, more upscale mandu including Chinese/Cantonese style are offered for take away. Fairly tasty and also made by real "ajumma" as should be.

But beware of the horrible faux "Chinese" restaurants at Myeng-Dong. Bleh! Overtly sweet dumplings aimed at the teenager shopper crowds.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 7:11 pm

Food in Korea's okay but I'd like to see more "bizarre" ethnic selections (middle eastern for one).

At least in Busan it's all the same stuff (Korean sashimi, BBQ, fried chicken and that's about it, even in college towns shockingly).

I need to go live in Itaewon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.