Reload this Page >

Seoul Food - Korea

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seoul Food - Korea

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:14 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Smile

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Anyone try a restaurant or dish in Seoul that one shouldn't miss?
-
POJANGMACHA!!!!!
^

Nakji-bokum, ramyeon, chang-oh (eel), and soju! Oh I love my Saturdays!
In Jongno (downtown), there is even a pojangmacha with live squid in tanks that the ajashee takes out, cuts up, breads, and tempuras right there on the street! Yum.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:16 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Paella747
POJANGMACHA.
this refers to street food right? (not a specific dish)
Nakji-bokum.
fried octupus in gochujang sauce and assorted with thin noodles, (does it always come with noodles?)
ramyeon.
ramen noodles?
chang-oh (eel).
served with sauce or rice or ? and how is the eel prepared?
and soju!
of course^:-:^ & why is the soju always so much better in Korea than in the U.S.?
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mosburger
I'v There is a gem of a restaurant for bossam and other pork dishes next to the Pacific Hotel opposite of Myeong Dong, slightly up the Namsan slope.
...Sorry that I can't remember the name but it's to the left from the Pacific Hotel when coming from Myeong Dong.
thanks, just to clarify, this restaurant is left & next to the Pacific Hotel?

We'd be in heaven with pork and oysters dishes
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:44 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
thanks, just to clarify, this restaurant is left & next to the Pacific Hotel?

We'd be in heaven with pork and oysters dishes
Yes, indeed. Just a few meters to the left side of the hotel. Easily recognized by the roasted hogs in the window. They are so popular that a second dining room has been added, with the food provided from the original kitchen.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Smile

this refers to street food right? (not a specific dish)
It's the orange tent-things that you see on the streets at night with the "Eeemo" serving different snacks along with soju. "Pojang" is similar to "to go", and "macha" is like "wagon". Always good times with a group of friends!

fried octupus in gochujang sauce and assorted with thin noodles, (does it always come with noodles?)
I don't have noodles in mine, just the grilled octopus (nakji) in spicy sauce (gochu-jang) and vegetables. I'm hungry now.

ramen noodles?
Yes, and good ones, too! On a cold Seoul night, they hit the spot! But you won't feel the cold if you have enough soju.

served with sauce or rice or ? and how is the eel prepared?
Just grilled/fried with a sweet teriyaki sauce. Served with greans on the side (usually like a strong mint-tasting leaf), and usually some soy sauce and (my favorite part) chopped up fresh ginger. Good Lord it's heavenly! You can have eel & rice with the 'jang-oh dup bap', but that's more likely at a restaraunt than a pojangmacha.

why is the soju always so much better in Korea than in the U.S.?
That is a question I cannot answer for you! But I agree 100%.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the clarification mosburger & Paella747^
Old Oct 10, 2010, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
FWIW I just returned from ICN & loved the street vendor food selection and sampled most evenings. The favorite was this really spicy meat skewer that had my tongue & lips tingling for a while after. ^
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by tcook052
FWIW I just returned from ICN & loved the street vendor food selection and sampled most evenings. The favorite was this really spicy meat skewer that had my tongue & lips tingling for a while after. ^
Meat skewer? Was it chicken or pork?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by skchin
Meat skewer? Was it chicken or pork?
Chicken. ^
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
About to board ex-ICN after a great week in S Korea. I tried some of the places in the post and a few that we had last year.

Will update in the next few days when as I'll have time.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by jpatokal
BTW, here's the address/directions for Sadongmyenok in Seoul, referred to in the earlier post:

Sadongmyenok (사동면옥), Insadong 5-gil (down the alley). Justly famous for its manduguk, a soup of gargantuan homemade dumplings stuffed with meat and veggies and served with side dishes for W5000. English menu available.

(courtesy of Wikitravel)
Found this place with only a little difficulty. The dumplings were very good. The cold noodles were OK.

I've become wiser over the years regarding Korean pork. Please don't go to Nolboo if in Seoul, while not bad. There is a gem of a restaurant for bossam and other pork dishes next to the Pacific Hotel opposite of Myeong Dong, slightly up the Namsan slope.

It's always full with locals and mostly Asian tourists, the menu consists of pork and oysters dishes and they close fairly early in an anotherwise late night neighbourhood. The taste is nothing short of sensational...Sorry that I can't remember the name but it's to the left from the Pacific Hotel when coming from Myeong Dong.
Does the place have a blue/green sign with a pig's face? If so we dined here. There was also a second shopfront two doors down serviced from the same kitchen. Didn't notice anything in the way of oysters though. Mostly bossum and the pancake with octopus (can't remember the name). The place was very crowded and we needed to wait for a table, time well spent.

Lot of people watching the Korean baseball playoffs on their phone/tv.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Found this place with only a little difficulty.
Does the place have a blue/green sign with a pig's face? If so we dined here. There was also a second shopfront two doors down serviced from the same kitchen. Didn't notice anything in the way of oysters though. Mostly bossum and the pancake with octopus (can't remember the name). The place was very crowded and we needed to wait for a table, time well spent.

Lot of people watching the Korean baseball playoffs on their phone/tv.
Yes, that's the place. Oysters are a-plenty in form of oyster pancakes and also mixed with kimchi on the bossam plates.

If it's too full there is a fairly good fried chicken joint a few meters down towards Myeong-Dong...
Old Oct 26, 2010, 8:05 am
Original Poster

If it's too full there is a fairly good fried chicken joint a few meters down towards Myeong-Dong...
Am I assuming correctly that Korean Fried Chicken is fried chicken served with a good sweet/hot sauce? (this is what I've had here in the U.S. at places that bill themselves as serving Korean Fried Chicken)
Old Oct 26, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Am I assuming correctly that Korean Fried Chicken is fried chicken served with a good sweet/hot sauce? (this is what I've had here in the U.S. at places that bill themselves as serving Korean Fried Chicken)
Closest to American chain has to offer is Popeyes.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 7:52 pm

In San Francisco, the best Korean Fried Chicken or any fried chicken for that matter is at Shin Toe Bul Gi on Taraval St in the Sunset District. They are as authentic as they come, served without any sauce but with pickled white root vegetable, I forgot what they called them.... There's always a line there....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.