Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ulleungdo/울릉도

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Ulleungdo/울릉도

For about 25 years I have had it in the back of my mind to go to Ulleungdo/울릉도.

The opportunity has so far eluded me, but I might have an opportunity next year. I've read about it, looked at the Web site, and I'm still thinking.

Maybe take the KTX to Pohang, catch the boat to Ulleungdo, and reverse it back to Seoul. It would be in June. I'm wondering if any of you have traveled there, and if so, was it worth the trouble? An alternative would be Jejudo, but I'm not so wild about going there now, if only because seemingly everyone does.

Back in the early 1990's when I was in Korea for a year, I traveled to a lot of places, and I wouldn't mind to revisit some: Mallipo/Chullipo (만리포/천리포), Kojedo (거제도), and many others. But after visiting Seoul a couple of years ago, and seeing all the changes, I figured there's no harm in asking before dragging the whole famn damily off on some wacky excursion.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead
For about 25 years I have had it in the back of my mind to go to Ulleungdo/울릉도.

The opportunity has so far eluded me, but I might have an opportunity next year. I've read about it, looked at the Web site, and I'm still thinking.

Maybe take the KTX to Pohang, catch the boat to Ulleungdo, and reverse it back to Seoul. It would be in June. I'm wondering if any of you have traveled there, and if so, was it worth the trouble? An alternative would be Jejudo, but I'm not so wild about going there now, if only because seemingly everyone does.

Back in the early 1990's when I was in Korea for a year, I traveled to a lot of places, and I wouldn't mind to revisit some: Mallipo/Chullipo (만리포/천리포), Kojedo (거제도), and many others. But after visiting Seoul a couple of years ago, and seeing all the changes, I figured there's no harm in asking before dragging the whole famn damily off on some wacky excursion.
There's also a hydrofoil from Donghae on the east coast, so if you're going to be in Seoul Donghae might be better
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corbomite
There's also a hydrofoil from Donghae on the east coast, so if you're going to be in Seoul Donghae might be better
I don't believe the KTX goes there, does it? Figured to go for a twofer and take the KTX, thought it might be interesting.

You can catch a hydrofoil from both Pohang and Donghae, no?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:59 pm

I don't believe the KTX goes there, does it? Figured to go for a twofer and take the KTX, thought it might be interesting.

You can catch a hydrofoil from both Pohang and Donghae, no?
If you're coming to Korea after the Winter Olympics there's going to be a KTX line to Kangnung, which is 45 minutes from Donghae. So I believe that's another way to pop the cherry

And yes hydrofoils are available from both places despite Pohang being farther from Ulleung-do because historically Ullenung-do has been tied with Daegu.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

If you're coming to Korea after the Winter Olympics there's going to be a KTX line to Kangnung, which is 45 minutes from Donghae. So I believe that's another way to pop the cherry
Ooooh. See, this is why FlyerTalk > Reddit et al., because that is something really nice to know. I had no idea, and we are planning to travel in June 2018.

And yes hydrofoils are available from both places despite Pohang being farther from Ulleung-do because historically Ullenung-do has been tied with Daegu.
Have you been to the island? Was it worth the trip?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:37 am

Ooooh. See, this is why FlyerTalk > Reddit et al., because that is something really nice to know. I had no idea, and we are planning to travel in June 2018.
LOL which subreddit? I post a lot more on Reddit (under another username) especially in /r/Travel and /r/Flights/ and I don't remember seeing your question.

Have you been to the island? Was it worth the trip?
Never been there myself. But I've heard the number of domestic tourists have increased a lot recently because it's the jumping-off point to Dokdo. In fact the government is looking into building an airport on the island.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: Skyteam
One of my top places I wish to go in the future. Please let us know how goes.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skchin
One of my top places I wish to go in the future. Please let us know how goes.
I hope to report back in 9 months or so. Unfortunately my wife isn't so wild about it, and neither is my friend, who described a stay there as a form of asceticism. But, I will try to persuade them.

Part of my work requires online connectivity, even when I am on holiday, so I'm wondering if an Olleh Egg would work on the island. If so, it would put my mind at ease.

============

Looks like this is off the list of possibilities. One concern is that you can get stuck here by bad weather. Our flights are paid for with miles, so I don't want to take that kind of risk.

Last edited by zippy the pinhead; Oct 8, 2017 at 8:13 pm Reason: Added information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.