Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GMP Gimpo check in

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:44 am
Original Poster

GMP Gimpo check in

I have a very strict time scheduke in Seoul. Plan on flying out from Gimpo to PEK, with Air China.

Is GMP an airport which manages it flows of passengers continuously? What is the advised timing to be at the airport before flight?

No checked luggage.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:15 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
You do NOT have to be there early AT ALL. The Gimpo International terminal is empty ALL the time, even though all the flights are in banked departures around the same time and the flights are full. There are usually only three or four flights departing around the same time as there are only like five international gates total.

Also, Air China only has that one flight per day, so you don't have to worry about giant check in lines. Literally everyone there is for the same flight, so they will check you all in.

I fly GMP-HND several times a year (usually evening departure, morning return). I arrive only one hour and a few minutes before departure. Check in here for most airlines is 40-60 minutes. There is never anyone waiting in any check in line. The most I waited was for Shanghai Airlines and it was because there were a few in front of me with TONS of luggage.

That being said, it is a ten minute walk from the train platform to the check in area, and I walk fast. So I'd add 15 minutes for a walk/if you get mixed up (you shouldn't, it's very simple). I've walked up to the counter five minutes before closing with no stress or worry.

If your flight is at 9:30, I would aim to arrive at Gimpo Station by 8 with a 10-15 minute walk and you can check in around 8:20 for your 9:30 flight. Security takes LITERALLY seconds and there is NOTHING to do on the gate area.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your detailed answer.

Will try online check in.

And I intend to arrive by taxi (from COEX), in the hope of saving time as well.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:50 pm

You will NOT save time in a taxi at rush hour at that time. You will crawl along the entire length of the expressway. Same for a bus.

Instead, take Subway Line 9 EXPRESS train from Bongeunsa Station and you can arrive at Gimpo Airport in 35 minutes. Line 9 has two trains (All Stop) and (Express). Be sure to wait for the express train as All Stop will take double the time.

On the tv screen on the platform for the trains that are coming, All Stop is the green one, Express is the red train.

Line 9 can be very, very crowded in the mornings, so try to get a seat...then sit back and watch the show.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Sound advice from mikesaidyes

However, I'd come to the airport a bit earlier as the abalone congee in the landside and upstairs Korean restaurant is absolutely delicious and my favourite airport dish in Asia.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:00 am

Hi,
My flight from Gimpo airport to Jeju is 6:35am after my international flight to ICH arrived by 10pm the previous day. As far as I know, the first commuter train starts at 5:23am and it takes 35 minutes to arrive at Gimpo airport. So that I will be at the Gimpo airport station at exactly 6 am.
As you say, it takes like 10 minutes to walk from the platform to the check-in counter for the international flight. Do you think that if I can make it to walk 10 minutes to the domestic check in counter, finish the check-in process with baggage in 5 minutes before it comes to 6:15am, 20 minutes before the departure time?
Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 2, 2017, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
You will NOT save time in a taxi at rush hour at that time. You will crawl along the entire length of the expressway. Same for a bus.

Instead, take Subway Line 9 EXPRESS train from Bongeunsa Station and you can arrive at Gimpo Airport in 35 minutes. Line 9 has two trains (All Stop) and (Express). Be sure to wait for the express train as All Stop will take double the time.

On the tv screen on the platform for the trains that are coming, All Stop is the green one, Express is the red train.

Line 9 can be very, very crowded in the mornings, so try to get a seat...then sit back and watch the show.

Thank you very much for your detailed and valued advice. Appreciated.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:20 am

According to current subway timetables, the first express train of the day arrives to Gimpo Airport at 6:26 AM. You cannot make the check in. There are local trains, but they will take longer.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by Vy Ly
Hi,
My flight from Gimpo airport to Jeju is 6:35am after my international flight to ICH arrived by 10pm the previous day. As far as I know, the first commuter train starts at 5:23am and it takes 35 minutes to arrive at Gimpo airport. So that I will be at the Gimpo airport station at exactly 6 am.
As you say, it takes like 10 minutes to walk from the platform to the check-in counter for the international flight. Do you think that if I can make it to walk 10 minutes to the domestic check in counter, finish the check-in process with baggage in 5 minutes before it comes to 6:15am, 20 minutes before the departure time?
Thank you in advance!
I would recommend you stay near Gimpo airport instead of trying to catch the first commuter train the next morning. The walk from platform to the check-in counter (domestic and international) is no joke!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.