Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

2018 Olympics travel planning

Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji

The games took place February 9-25, 2018.
The first character in the emblem represents a gathering place where three elements - heaven, earth, human are in harmony.

The second character symbolises snow and ice, as well as the athletes stellar performances.

Transportation from Seoul
The Seoul-to-Gangneung KTX train, with a transit time of 1 hour and 10 minutes, is expected to be completed by December 2017.
Print Wikipost

2018 Olympics travel planning

Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds like hotels in Seoul that are conveniently located for the high speed train would be the best choice for Olympics visitors. How are the prices?
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: None anymore
Hi guys,

Maybe I can provide some insight into what's going on here in Korea and maybe give some advice.

1. Additional terminal at ICN should be opening in October, however they've been having issues with the duty free vendor so they may not open until after the Olympics... Haven't heard an official story on that yet though.

2. I highly suggest staying in Seoul and commuting every day as they're finishing / have finished the KTX out to the Olympic site.

3. There are some great hotels in Seoul if you're the type who likes to stay at hotels that are more uh, western. However I caution you, as the further you get from Seoul station or Yongsan station the longer your commute becomes. I wouldn't stay further north than the central city area but remember this is more "touristy" so prices are higher. If you're wanting to stay south of the river I wouldn't stray further west than Yeoeuido (although that involves a subway transfer, but does get you to the Conrad) and the furthest south I would book would be Yeongdeungpo. Yeongdeungpo is nice and has great food and some good hotels and is only about 5 subway stops south of Yongsan or Seoul station, and is direct. I highly suggest NOT booking in Gangnam (such as the JW) because it's simply too far from the train. You would regret it.

4. Olympics fall around Lunar New Year in Korea which is a heavy travel time. The Olympics will change things a bit as maybe Koreans will go to the Olympics during their time off. Things in Seoul are dead/closed around that time as everyone's on vacation (restaurants, etc.). I wouldn't expect increased traffic out to Pyeongchang though, nobody really has family that they would be visiting out there... Kinda dead area. They will probably run extra trains through the duration of the Olympics.

5. Booking rail tickets. Korail only allows booking for up to one month in advance. So look at the days you need your tickets and be ready at your computer a month in advance in order to secure tickets for the Olympic games. Unfortunately it's a bit tedious to book without an alien registration card, and you cannot select your own seats as a foreigner, but if you book early enough and as a group then the system seats you next to each other if space is available. If you buy in advance print your tickets (PDF is fine) and they will have your seat number on them, you have to sit in your assigned seat. It may be an obvious statement but people get really up in arms over that stuff. Be prepared to show your ticket to a conductor if asked, although that's rare. If caught without a ticket you have to pay full fare +20% or something like that.

6. If you are expecting to buy train tickets the day of travel you can, but expect that it will definitely be standing room only. KTX trains have a lot less "standing room" than regular trains, so they actually cap the number of standing tickets they sell. (regular trains have no cap, but as a result it's very... crowded) Don't rely on buying tickets the day of.

If anyone has some specific questions I'd be happy to answer them. Korea is an extremely safe place and don't worry, it won't be a nuclear wasteland by the time the Olympics come around. Book with confidence.

Last edited by warrenw; Aug 19, 2017 at 6:17 pm Reason: formatting
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:14 am

KTX questions

Originally Posted by warrenw
Hi guys,

Maybe I can provide some insight into what's going on here in Korea and maybe give some advice.

2. I highly suggest staying in Seoul and commuting every day as they're finishing / have finished the KTX out to the Olympic site.

3. There are some great hotels in Seoul if you're the type who likes to stay at hotels that are more uh, western. However I caution you, as the further you get from Seoul station or Yongsan station the longer your commute becomes. I wouldn't stay further north than the central city area but remember this is more "touristy" so prices are higher. If you're wanting to stay south of the river I wouldn't stray further west than Yeoeuido (although that involves a subway transfer, but does get you to the Conrad) and the furthest south I would book would be Yeongdeungpo. Yeongdeungpo is nice and has great food and some good hotels and is only about 5 subway stops south of Yongsan or Seoul station, and is direct. I highly suggest NOT booking in Gangnam (such as the JW) because it's simply too far from the train. You would regret it.

5. Booking rail tickets. Korail only allows booking for up to one month in advance. So look at the days you need your tickets and be ready at your computer a month in advance in order to secure tickets for the Olympic games. Unfortunately it's a bit tedious to book without an alien registration card, and you cannot select your own seats as a foreigner, but if you book early enough and as a group then the system seats you next to each other if space is available. If you buy in advance print your tickets (PDF is fine) and they will have your seat number on them, you have to sit in your assigned seat. It may be an obvious statement but people get really up in arms over that stuff. Be prepared to show your ticket to a conductor if asked, although that's rare. If caught without a ticket you have to pay full fare +20% or something like that.

If anyone has some specific questions I'd be happy to answer them. Korea is an extremely safe place and don't worry, it won't be a nuclear wasteland by the time the Olympics come around. Book with confidence.
Thanks warrenw!

We haven't been able to find much detailed information in English, so your post was really really helpful.

I have several questions about the KTX:
1) Just to confirm, the Seoul terminal points for the KTX trains are Yongsan and Seoul stations? Any other stations in between those 2 in Seoul? Is there a good map of the lines relevant to the Olympics? Do we need to transfer between trains themselves or are these all on 1 line? I did some Googling and there seems to be a bunch of lines named by stations and without knowing the geography it's hard to figure them out.
2) I think the Olympics is in 3 separate zones, so would require getting off the KTX at PyeongChang, Jinbu, and Gangneung stations and then transfer to bus? How long are the bus rides? The map on this page is very confusing as I can't figure out what's a road and what's a railway (also what's JC and IC?): https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/s...on-Information
3) you mentioned tedious to book without an alien registration. Besides the seat selection problem, is there anything else that's "tedious?" Is there an app to book tickets?
4) how flexible are the KTX tickets? It would seem that it would be difficult to book some of the tickets in advance because some of the times might be highly variable (e.g. bus connection, getting out of the venue).
5) how late do the trains run? It seems that some events end very late (e.g. opening ceremony)
6) cost: Approximately how much are the trains? Do booking in advance mean lower prices? If we're commuting each day for a week, this could get expensive. I just read that there's a Korail Pass for foreigners, is it recommended? Does the Korail Pass allow for travel on the lines for the Olympics? In past Olympics that we've been to (London, Beijing), a ticket to an Olympics event would get you a free ride on public transportation for that day. Do you know if this will apply to Pyeongchang as well, and would it apply to the KTX? If so, then I assume we wouldn't even need to buy any KTX tickets in advance?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Ricebucket; Aug 20, 2017 at 6:22 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Ricebucket
Thanks warrenw!

We haven't been able to find much detailed information in English, so your post was really really helpful.

I have several questions about the KTX:
1) Just to confirm, the Seoul terminal points for the KTX trains are Yongsan and Seoul stations? Any other stations in between those 2 in Seoul? Is there a good map of the lines relevant to the Olympics? Do we need to transfer between trains themselves or are these all on 1 line? I did some Googling and there seems to be a bunch of lines named by stations and without knowing the geography it's hard to figure them out.
2) I think the Olympics is in 3 separate zones, so would require getting off the KTX at PyeongChang, Jinbu, and Gangneung stations and then transfer to bus? How long are the bus rides? The map on this page is very confusing as I can't figure out what's a road and what's a railway (also what's JC and IC?): https://www.pyeongchang2018.com/en/s...on-Information
3) you mentioned tedious to book without an alien registration. Besides the seat selection problem, is there anything else that's "tedious?" Is there an app to book tickets?
4) how flexible are the KTX tickets? It would seem that it would be difficult to book some of the tickets in advance because some of the times might be highly variable (e.g. bus connection, getting out of the venue).
5) how late do the trains run? It seems that some events end very late (e.g. opening ceremony)
6) cost: Approximately how much are the trains? Do booking in advance mean lower prices? If we're commuting each day for a week, this could get expensive. I just read that there's a Korail Pass for foreigners, is it recommended? Does the Korail Pass allow for travel on the lines for the Olympics? In past Olympics that we've been to (London, Beijing), a ticket to an Olympics event would get you a free ride on public transportation for that day. Do you know if this will apply to Pyeongchang as well, and would it apply to the KTX? If so, then I assume we wouldn't even need to buy any KTX tickets in advance?

Thanks again!
Wow lot's of questions! Let me see what I'm able to answer.
1. Seoul station and Yongsan station are about ~2km from each other so no, no stations in between. In terms of KTX stations it's those two and Yeungdeungpo but the latter wouldn't be used for the Olympics. There's an east Seoul main train station but I don't know if it will have KTX compatibility though.
2. I believe you would be able to take the KTX between stations but there are also regular, "slow" trains between each. These regular trains aren't going to take that much longer, and you can probably buy tickets day-of for travel between those stations and be perfectly fine. JC and IC both relate to driving, like IC is interchange for example. The maps are confusing but they're labeled, so down towards the bottom is the train map.
3. There's an app but there is no english option. By tedious I mean you have to enter your credit card info and name each time you book a ticket, none of it is saved and you can't create an account, etc. That's what I meant by tedious.
4. Not flexible. Well I take that back, it's flexible but it's not like you can say "Oh I want to switch this ticket for a later time during the day" you have to cancel your existing ticket and buy another, with no seat guarantee necessarily. As a foreigner you would have to do ticket changes at a reservation desk at the train station. They don't really speak english either but they might do something about that for the Olympics.
5. Uuuhhh I live about an hour south of Seoul by train and my last chance train is at 11pm to get home. They don't go super late but they might change that for the Olympics. I'll ask my girlfriend to check.
6. I have no idea but I kind of doubt it. Korea is based on seat assignments for train tickets and I don't really see them throwing that out the window. As far as cost, I don't think they've released it yet but a ticket from Seoul to Busan is ~$50 and it's 3 hours (one way) so an hour ride would be ~$18-$20 I would say. Each way. Booking in advance does not mean cheaper prices it just guarantee's you a seat. And I've never heard of a Korail Pass... But doing some quick research I would say yes, you could do that and it will be perfectly valid. Just be mindful of seat reservations but I think you can do it on the website with your Korail pass. That might be worth it if you'll be taking the KTX every day.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In previous Olympics in different countries, there have been evening parties in parks, etc. If the athletes stay near the events, these activities might also be out near the events.....or the athletes could come to Seoul in the evenings to enjoy the festivities after their sporting performances during the games have finished. I wouldn't want to book train tickets under the assumption that one would return to Seoul immediately after the conclusion of the ticketed Olympic events.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:14 am

Thanks warrenw! Your answers have been really useful.

Hopefully, some of the details will have been fleshed out by the time of the Olympics (foreigner access, train times etc.)!
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ricebucket
Thanks warrenw! Your answers have been really useful.

Hopefully, some of the details will have been fleshed out by the time of the Olympics (foreigner access, train times etc.)!
In talking to my girlfriend a lot of details are fleshed out, but the website is only in Korean and we can't find an english version.... I'll search around a bit more.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Just fyi, there are two apps that might be useful.

One is Subway Korea. I have put a link the iOS version, but you can find an Android version as well. The app has a setting for English. This will cover just about every subway station in Korea.

Another app is Korail Talk. This will allow you to book tickets on Korail, including KTX tickets. There is an English setting. Link is also for iOS but I am sure there other version as well.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Is anyone planning to travel in for the events?

Curious if anyone has connections in South Korea who can help with the ticket process, since the U.S. reseller has quite the mark-ups...
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by soartoday

Curious if anyone has connections in South Korea who can help with the ticket process, since the U.S. reseller has quite the mark-ups...
Have you tried here?
https://tickets.pyeongchang2018.com/
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by soartoday

Your hotel should be able to buy them from the site or at one of the official sale points. Their site is a just a mess in English even when you're using a Visa.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
So now that South Korea is hosting the Winter Olympics, does that give them carte blanche to have their national team gang up on US athletes in an attempt to injure and knock them out of the competition, or does that depend on how much of a bribe gets paid to the IOC stooges so they don't call anything on them?

I recall seeing this in person at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic speed skating events, it was absolutely disgusting what the South Koreans were doing. No sense of sportsmanship or shame, for that matter
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by msp3
So now that South Korea is hosting the Winter Olympics, does that give them carte blanche to have their national team gang up on US athletes in an attempt to injure and knock them out of the competition, or does that depend on how much of a bribe gets paid to the IOC stooges so they don't call anything on them?

I recall seeing this in person at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic speed skating events, it was absolutely disgusting what the South Koreans were doing. No sense of sportsmanship or shame, for that matter
Korea will be lucky if they get any medals other than in skating events.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:49 am

It looks like hotel prices will drop as they're trying to crack down on price gouging.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: ALL Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by msp3

It's always about greasing palms, the skating federation here is regarded as one of the most, if not the most corrupt sports federation in the whole nation.

Even if FIFA was corrupt you had a chance if you were good, but that's not the case here. There's a really, really good reason why An Hyeon-Su is now a Russian national.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.