Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

why don't South Koreans just say they are from "Korea"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:20 am
Original Poster

I have never met a North Korean. They obviously exist and do travel but are extremely rare. When encountering a South Korean they inevitably answer they are from "South Korea".
Why not just say "Korea"? Most people get it, right? Sort of like how we say we are from America (if you are from the US of A) even though that isn't its full name, and potentially there are other countries in "America".
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:09 pm

What other countries are there in America?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by calbear2005
Are you challenging citizens of the USA to name them all? North, South, and Central?
You could win good money in a bar if you can get anyone to take that challenge.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
Are you challenging citizens of the USA to name them all? North, South, and Central?
You could win good money in a bar if you can get anyone to take that challenge.
Yes, there are other countries in North America, Central America, and South America. But hard-pressed to say there are other countries in America. But I got how you interpreted my response.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I have never met a North Korean. They obviously exist and do travel but are extremely rare. When encountering a South Korean they inevitably answer they are from "South Korea".
Why not just say "Korea"? Most people get it, right? Sort of like how we say we are from America (if you are from the US of A) even though that isn't its full name, and potentially there are other countries in "America".
Korean people I know just say they are from Korea or they are Korean. I have a number of Korean coworkers, and not one of them has said they are "South Korean".
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
Korean people I know just say they are from Korea or they are Korean. I have a number of Korean coworkers, and not one of them has said they are "South Korean".
Yup, same. All my Korean friends are just "Korean." They never specify which half of the peninsula their relatives are from.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Yup, same. All my Korean friends are just "Korean." They never specify which half of the peninsula their relatives are from.
Sorry, I should clarify. The ones in the US just say Korran but when travelling abroad the ones from South Korea say South Korean
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, KE MM, OZ DP, SQ PPS, Ritz Carlton Gold, IHG Aspire
If you are in mainland China or in some cases Hong Kong, you would be commonly assumed to be possibly North Korean or an ethnic Korean Chinese, typically from post WWII northeast China, over 1 million apparently.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
Originally Posted by s0ssos
You are aware of what kind of country North Korea is? North Koreans certainly don't "travel" in the general sense it is commonly used - they're not allowed to and most certainly couldn't afford it anyways. That's the reason you have never met a North Korean and also part of the reason South Koreans say they're from South Korea.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: UA, NW
I was in China back in 1990 while the college I was working for was trying to establish exchanges with educational institutions there.

At one school in Chongqing, we meet some North Koreans, who had been sent to Chongqing to study...English.

I guess their government was so paranoid about ideological contamination that it didn't dare send anyone to a real English-speaking country. Perhaps they thought it was dangerous enough that the school in Chongqing had teachers from Australia.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Quite a few. Starting from North is Canada and ending in the South is Chile. The USA is one of them.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:52 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Meh. The demonym specifically for people from the US is "American," at least according to...folks in the eastern hemisphere.

Whether Peruvians, Paraguayans or Grenadans cavil about this is neither here nor there, because indeed people in the US are also Americans.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Quite a few. Starting from North is Canada and ending in the South is Chile. The USA is one of them.
That would then be "the Americas," not "America" as the OP wrote.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:35 pm

OK, before this becomes an argument over semantics, I Googled "America" and "Americas" and they can both be used to reference the American continent as a whole while "America" can also be used to reference "the United States of America." There, issue resolved. Back to the OP's question.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.